• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mason Dixon Sniper Series 2014 - Match #2 - NHRPC - Information Regarding Match

Shrek183

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2012
PA
Shooters,

As we are drawing closer to Match #2 I thought it wise to provide you with some information to assist you in your preparations. Seeing as this series is billed as a "Sniper Series" you will be sonfronted with a series of shooting challanges that have been faced by snipers and/or precission marksmen in the past. All of these evolutions are based on documented situations faced in real life. The only thing I can't reproduce is return fire. This is an individual Match not a Team Match. Remember that if you do so, you are sharing information with a shooter that is trying to beat you.

1. Each shooter will need to bring a precision rifle capable of holding at least (5) five rounds in a magazine. Most stages will require a timed reload. Magazines will only be loaded to a capacity of (5) rounds. Each shooter will need at least (2) two magazines for rifles with detatchable magazines. Rifles must have slings.

2. Each shooter will need to bring a center-fire pistol capable of holding at least (7) rounds in a magazine, and one in the chamber. Each shooter will need at least (2) magazines for the pistol, as well as a strong side belt holster. How the weapon is secured in the holster is up to you, HOWEVER IF THE WEAPON FALLS OUT OF THE HOLSTER AT ANY TIME, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE MATCH. No discussion on this point.

3. Each shooter will be required to carry any and all gear used throughout the match. Each shooter will need some form of a back-pack, sling bag, or other type of load carrying container that can be secured to their person, so as to allow them to haul all of their trash around the club. No carts, strollers, sherpas or other pack animals will be permitted. Spotting scopes and lazer rangefinders are permitted, however you must carry what you bring.

4. Each shooter will need a notebook or pad and pen.

5. The round count will be no more than (60) sixty rifle rounds and no more than (16) sixteen pistol rounds per shooter.

6. Sign in at the range will begin at 0800 hrs and breifing will begin at 0830. Breifing will end at 0900. The first evolution will be an observation exercise with a thirty minute time limit. The first shooting stage will begin at 1000.

7. I would strongly suggest that all shooters bring water with them and a way to carry it in or on their gear.

8. In an attempt to keep things flowing quickly in this match, shooters will be asked to be ready and on time.

There will be stressors built into the match such as short time windows, limited support, unconventional positions and movement. I appreciate the opportunity to serve as the Match Director, and hope that you enjoy the challenges.

Bob Duprey/Shrek

Shooters,

As we are drawing closer to Match #2 I thought it wise to provide you with some information to assist you in your preparations. Seeing as this series is billed as a "Sniper Series" you will be sonfronted with a series of shooting challanges that have been faced by snipers and/or precission marksmen in the past. All of these evolutions are based on documented situations faced in real life. The only thing I can't reproduce is return fire. This is an individual Match not a Team Match. Remember that if you do so, you are sharing information with a shooter that is trying to beat you.

1. Each shooter will need to bring a precision rifle capable of holding at least (5) five rounds in a magazine. Most stages will require a timed reload. Magazines will only be loaded to a capacity of (5) rounds. Each shooter will need at least (2) two magazines for rifles with detatchable magazines. Rifles must have slings.

2. Each shooter will need to bring a center-fire pistol capable of holding at least (7) rounds in a magazine, and one in the chamber. Each shooter will need at least (2) magazines for the pistol, as well as a strong side belt holster. How the weapon is secured in the holster is up to you, HOWEVER IF THE WEAPON FALLS OUT OF THE HOLSTER AT ANY TIME, YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE MATCH. No discussion on this point.

3. Each shooter will be required to carry any and all gear used throughout the match. Each shooter will need some form of a back-pack, sling bag, or other type of load carrying container that can be secured to their person, so as to allow them to haul all of their trash around the club. No carts, strollers, sherpas or other pack animals will be permitted. Spotting scopes and lazer rangefinders are permitted, however you must carry what you bring.

4. Each shooter will need a notebook or pad and pen.

5. The round count will be no more than (60) sixty rifle rounds and no more than (16) sixteen pistol rounds per shooter.

6. Sign in at the range will begin at 0800 hrs and breifing will begin at 0830. Breifing will end at 0900. The first evolution will be an observation exercise with a thirty minute time limit. The first shooting stage will begin at 1000.

7. I would strongly suggest that all shooters bring water with them and a way to carry it in or on their gear.

8. In an attempt to keep things flowing quickly in this match, shooters will be asked to be ready and on time.

There will be stressors built into the match such as short time windows, limited support, unconventional positions and movement. I appreciate the opportunity to serve as the Match Director, and hope that you enjoy the challenges.

Bob Duprey/Shrek

Since we are not using the typical shooter/spotter teams, shouldn't we leave the LRFs and spotting scopes out of it, go "known target size - unknown distance" and have the SO/RO call the shots? This way it becomes less of an equipment contest. I have a suitable LRF and can spot misses in the scope of my mouse-gun but the guy without this will be screwed from the get-go if distance is unknown and we treat each others as opponents.

Last edited:
Shooters,

This is a known distance shoot. There is no restriction on the equipment used for ranging or observation. There will be no called corrections, as this is an individual match and not a team event. Whatever you choose to bring with you to assist you in any of the shooting situations, you will have to carry throughout the shoot. The target presentations and shooting positions should provide sufficient challange to test the shooting ability of those entered in the match. This should be a fairly direct approach to test some basic shooting skills that are used by professional precission marksmen. In addition there is an observation exercise which can be completed with your riflescope, bino's or spotting scope.

Shrek

Shooters,

This is a known distance shoot. There is no restriction on the equipment used for ranging or observation. There will be no called corrections, as this is an individual match and not a team event. Whatever you choose to bring with you to assist you in any of the shooting situations, you will have to carry throughout the shoot. The target presentations and shooting positions should provide sufficient challange to test the shooting ability of those entered in the match. This should be a fairly direct approach to test some basic shooting skills that are used by professional precission marksmen. In addition there is an observation exercise which can be completed with your riflescope, bino's or spotting scope.

Shrek

Thanks Shrek for clarifying. Based on the comment about LRFs being allowed, I had assumed incorrectly that the distances would be unknown.

Shrek...fantastic match today! A big thanks is due your outstanding crew that kept stages moving along. All the stages were well thought out and had the touch of a real world sniper. The stages were designed and colored coded which help to clearly identifiying targets. We really appreciate the time and energy you put into making this a first class match.

Richard P

Great time today.... thanks for an awesome match and some real hard shots....

-paul

Shooters,

Thank you all for shooting the second Match of the Mason Dixon Sniper Series. I hope you enjoyed the targets and presentations. It was a pleasure working with you, and watching some very good shooting. Below are the results of the shoot with the Shooters score and percentage for the series.

A score of 660 points was the total possible in the Match. The willing score was 364, wich was 55.15% of the Total.

With the scoring model used this year, having the winning score as 100% the below list is what I came up with:

PLACE SCORE PRECENTAGE NAME
1st 364 100 Kunz, Josh
2nd 293 80.49 Gervais, Matt
3rd 271 74.45 Pierucci, Tony
4th 268 73.62 Roth, Paul
5th 263 72.25 Strasavich, Todd
6th 254 69.78 Burkholder, Shawn
7th 248 68.13 Mack, Steve
8th 236 64.83 Walsh, Tom
9th(tie) 229 62.91 Bechtel, Steve
9th(tie) 229 62.91 Harrison, Cory
11th 218 58.89 Deroner, Ben
12th 211 57.96 Koch, Rob
13th 203 55.76 Packer, Scott
14th 201 55.21 Osif, Zack
15th 193 53.02 Banta, Greg
16th 181 49.72 Oconnal. Sean
17th 179 49.17 Beitler, Chad
18th 171 46.97 Peabody, Richard
19th 169 46.42 Elwanger, Rick
20th 162 44.50 Jones, Jeremy
21st 160 42.95 Kelly, Bob
22nd 153 42.03 Ressler, Josh
23rd 137 37.63 Vanderriete, Rex
24th 112 30.76 Menge, Ken

Thanks again for shooting the Match and good luck in the series. I wish I could join you in shooting the series but I will be out of town for the Final as well as the Last series Match. Good luck to all.

Bob Duprey (Shrek)

There always had to be that one kid in class that ruined the curve....:D

Nice shooting Josh!

Bob, once again you really raised the bar with your evolution designs. Thank you for your time and efforts.

The Capn'

There always had to be that one kid in class that ruined the curve....:D

Nice shooting Josh!

Bob, once again you really raised the bar with your evolution designs. Thank you for your time and efforts.

The Capn'

Would it be OK with the organizers if some of the attendees would share info about the targets and presentations?

If yes, would some of the attendees be willing to briefly summarize the match?

Would it be OK with the organizers if some of the attendees would share info about the targets and presentations?

If yes, would some of the attendees be willing to briefly summarize the match?

My summary is to say the name of the game was discomfort/disorientation.
Every challenge was two fold, nothing was as it seemed until you were on the line.

My biggest mistake was not knowing the value of a well labeled field sketch.

Last edited:
Yeah, range cards are very important.

All but 1 of my Fups would have been lessened by improved range sketches.......and I made a range card, it just wasn't good enough.

Last edited:
Shooters,

In the past matches there have been non shooting exercises such as ranging, identification or sniper math. This match had a 30 minute observation exercise to identify 5 objects that were located on the range. These objects were described as indicators of the presence of snipers operating in the area. The objects were a single .50 BMG cartridge standing up in clear view at 100 yards, a red /white/black Black Hills ammo box partially masked in grass at 200 yards, a full sized sniper dummy in ghili camo at 300 yards on a berm in the clear, a spotting scope and tripod along a wood line at 350 yards, and a backpack and data book in the open at 600 yards. In this 30 minutes , shooters were also in a position to examine all of the targets on the range. All targets were color coded as well as indicated by an individual lettered sign. Shooters were provided a range to each target, and were allowed to construct a range card.

The first shooting evolution was a cold- bore shot from 77 yards at a .68 cal paint ball. Shooters were given 60 seconds to make the shot using any position and support that they cared to use. This is the average distance of police snipers shots in recent history in the United States.

The second shooting evolution was a rifle/pistol transition at 20 yards, at a paper armed threat target. Shooters were given 60 seconds to rite 8 pistol rounds to center mass and then transition to the rifle and tire 2 shots to the head of the target. Shooters could fire from any position, and some took a knee to make the shots.

The third shooting evolution was fired at targets at 200, 300, 400 and 600 yards. These shots were fired after shooters has 90 seconds prep time to set up their position. These shots were fired from a seated position, with the weapon system supported from a nylon strap between pillars. This shot mimicked the support position used by USCG shooters from helicopters, in drug interdiction activities. The 200 yard target was 3" in diameter, the 300 yard target was 3.5" in diameter and the other targets were larger than 1.5 moa. Shooters had a time limit of 90 seconds to fire 10 rounds. In this stage, shooters had to make a called hit to move on to the next target,

The fourth shooting station was fired under a solid obstruction that was 9.5" above the ground. Shooters were given 90 seconds to prep their position and 90 seconds to shoot targets at 100 yards, 200 yards, 300yards, 400 yards and 500 yards. The smallest target was at 200 yards and was 4" wide and 2.5" high. The 300 yard target was a hostage taker head behind a hostage target. The 400 yard target was an IDPA flop per target that was in a partial defilade. Shooters were reminded while in their prep time to make sure that they could see each of their targets. Most shooters used some form of prone position for these targets, some used bipod sort tripods. Many shooters used positions that placed their weapon system too low to view targets. All targets had been previously tested, and all targets were struck by some shooter in the match. In this stage, shooters had to make a called hit to move on to the next target.

The fifth shooting position was a loop- hole shot from a seated position using any form of support that the shooter had with them. Shooters were given 3 minutes to prep at either of two height loopholes. These loopholes were 9" wide and 2.5 " high, and represented a brick and mortar removed from a wall. Shooters were required to keep the muzzle of their weapon system at least 1' behind the loop-hole. Targets were 100 yards, 200 yards, 300 yards, 435 yards and 400 yards. All targets were between 2moa and 2.5 moa. Shooters had 90 seconds and 10 rounds to make these shots. In this stage, a target had to be a called hit to move on to the next target.

The final shooting evolution had all shooters at the 300 yard line in the position and using the support of their choice. The targets were t- box head targets with the shooters number identifying each shooters target. This evolution had a time limit of 30 minutes. In that 30 minutes, there would be 5 signals to fire where shooters were to fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds on their targets. These signals were at random intervals during the 30 minute time limit. Shooters were required to maintain focus and concentration on their targets during this period. This evolution actually ran for 24 minutes.

Each evolution was briefed immediately before the station began. Targets letters and colors were repeated to the shooters prior to them engaging and the spotter advised each shooter of the next target.

This shoot was an attempt to have shooters reproduce a number of shots taken in actual operations. These targets were difficult by design, but all had been tested and were shots that were successfully made during the design of the match.

Shrek

Sorry guys I forgot the movers stage. This was shot standing supported from 300 yards off of a simulated wall. The target was a life sized representation of a human torso. This was a two pass mover using 10 rounds total.

Shrek