• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mass Shooting Survey: More Voters Blame Mental Health than Guns

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

A survey from Rasmussen Reports shows that more likely voters blame mental health for mass shootings than blame guns.

The survey was conducted April 4-6, 2023, with 957 likely voters taking part.

According to Rasmussen, 42 percent of likely voters blame mass shootings on mental health issues while 29 percent place the blame on “access to firearms.”

Eleven percent of respondents blamed shootings on social media, while seven percent blamed the actual shooters.

Two-thirds of respondents also believe the March 27, 2023, attack on a Nashville Christian school will inspire copycat attacks at other schools.

Sixty-eight percent of likely voters said the FBI should release the manifesto left behind by the 28-year-old transgender who killed three children and three adults at the school.

The desire to see the manifesto released is strong regardless of political affiliation; “78 percent of Republicans, 66 percent of Democrats and 60 percent of unaffiliated voters” say the manifesto should be released to the public.

I posted on another site about how tired I am getting with anything anybody does any more is due to mental health. He robbed a store - it was due to mental health issues. This person killed someone- it was due to mental illness. Is this the new way of avoiding responsibility for doing bad or terrible things??

I posted on another site about how tired I am getting with anything anybody does any more is due to mental health. He robbed a store - it was due to mental health issues. This person killed someone- it was due to mental illness. Is this the new way of avoiding responsibility for doing bad or terrible things??
This is purely an opinion of mine based on my job…

There are legitimate cases of people doing stupid and or criminal things while experiencing or having a mental health crisis. With that being said, there is a difference between someone who’s taking prescription medications and clinically diagnosed with a condition vs being under the influence of a controlled substance or alcohol while committing acts against public interest.

I’ve responded to domestic calls where the aggressor is armed and suicidal comments. I would say most of those stemmed from the person being intoxicated and underlying stressors of marriage, financial, or other things that cause the person to blow up. I do not personally consider those to be mental health issues. That to me is someone who just needs help with managing stress and possible substance abuse.

These dirtbags that target innocent children or nightclubs have seen a pattern of mental health issues. It does not exonerate or justify their actions in any way. I just think mental health has been made so broad now that anyone going through some shit is now experiencing a mental health problem vs an untreated or mismanaged mental health condition.

I respond to a lot of mental health calls and they appear to be trending upwards. They vary from compliant people who know they want and need help to discharging a firearm outside of their residence and or barricade themselves threatening suicide by cop.

It’s a complicated problem and the easy button for legislators is more gun control. Again, this is all just my personal opinion.

It is a weak minded person that would put all blame and responsibility of a human killing another human on a lump of steel that can't do anything under its own power.

The fact that anyone believes this thought is evidence media brain washing works on the masses.

The term "mental illness" is another one of those terms that means different things to different people, but every one thinks it means the same to all.

I believe there has to be something seriously wrong with a person mentally to kill random people that are not posing a threat to any one else's life. To me mental illness covers this to some degree, but mental illness covers a very wide range of problems.

I am a member of a forum where most users are liberal (or bots) and the overall tone of website is liberal and the media sound bytes are repeated over and over and over word for word by most on that form when it comes to guns being the cause of mass shootings. The puppets, er, I mean people that post there have swallowed the narrative 100% and won't even consider something different.

Reactions: camocorvette