• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ChrisWay

Private
Minuteman
Supporter+
Dec 18, 2018
Why mastering the basics could be a lifelong project with the most upside 

I have spoken with experts across many disciplines. From academia, martial arts, and Olympic skiing; from rock climbing, surfing, and special operations; from pistol shooting to precision long-range rifle competitors. Every single person mentioned “mastering the basics” or mastering the fundamentals. Universally the concept of fundamentals seems to be a human constant. So, let’s think about this and how it relates to your goals a little closer and why it seems like only the experts are saying it while the rest of us are always looking for the next trick or purchase to skip ahead on the path we’ve chosen to embark down.

Fundamentals equal Foundation

IMG_0633-1440x968.jpg

How do I feel about the statement “master the basics”? I think it is not so basic at all. Before we get...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
My father always mentioned that most people fail calculus because they write 2+2 = 5. I see it in my classes as well (teaching at university)--A LOT of Fundamentals are missing.

Mental State and Trigger control--boy you ain't kidding--my nerves get worked up and I get all excited during a PRS match and that trigger feels like its 1 oz or less. REALLY had to work on calming down, slowing down and being deliberate. And being in that state you become unsafe as well. Very easy to squeeze off a round off target.

Reactions: Kbear_arms
Very informative and helpful article!
This comment surprised me - r.e. trigger control ... "an indicator of your mental and neurological state."
I would hope you can develop this topic further for us.
That same comment. I would say from personal point of view, or experience, that yes it is very much so. When out splitting hairs the results will either depend on it, or I guess these will rather show that something is amiss in the mental and neurological state even when I'm not myself realizing it.

This really makes you stop and think what you are practicing, and what you really need to work on. I know I need to work on my setup for each shot and mental clarity. I seem to get flustered when I’m shooting with people that push me to get better and I’m not able to keep up with their skill. I have to get outside of my own head and take it one at a time.

Hi Chris - I'm an older guy who only got into rifles 4-5 years ago. Prior to that, I competed at skeet for decades including traveling to shoots, etc. No matter how long I shot skeet, I still took periodical clinics to; 1) find bad habits in shot set-up and execution fundamentals that slipped in and; 2) explore if there are any other techniques of shot preparation and execution that may help my game (often related to eye/vision control).

Now, at 71 with a fused lumbar I ain't shooting skeet anymore but I am really enjoying rifle shooting and have attended three of Frank's clinics.

At my age and condition, I will not be shooting any PRS or Hunter type competitions but I still have a very keen interest in shot set up and execution. So, trigger control, recoil management, and follow thru are something I keep trying to improve on and something I'm always looking for constructive criticism in clinics. Though I'm also not interested in BR competition, I do look closely at groups I shoot for feedback on how I'm doing with shot execution.

At one PR2 clinic with Frank, we were presented with "The Humbler" where we had to shoot 5 targets at various ranges while on the clock. I dialed everything and was very, very slow and not even close to making time. But, we had a chance to shoot it again at the end of the clinic and in the interim I thought about how to approach it. I determined where I wanted to start with the scope elevation, had hold under/over numbers for the other targets and did much better. Not nearly as good as the couple of much younger guys there that are PRS competitors but it was a lot of progress for me. I think this may go to "efficiency" that you wrote about.

Thanks for another great article and please keep them coming.