• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Masterpiece Arms- Atrocious QC, Poor Customer Service. (Vids and Pic)

RoninISC

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Seems that while MPA was out becoming the new hotness, they've completely forgotten about the average consumer.

Executive summary:

--Wobbly stock. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pZtuePJnbyb4jvvXJmk3CI1Zfgp_Q9PN

Returned, came back w bad jury rig ‘fix’, still wobbly. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XqK3NXPaYMKEPu4Cx0tY1bRJ0erXf62c

--Safety not functioning correctly. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14x94jTUMw-iI6U63wByXIC6tUZVVapev

--Wrong mount sent.

--Missing ordered magazine.

--Had to contact them a few times each on most of these issues; obviously not a priority.

--Never a single apology or accommodation, let alone some kind of even petty reimbursement for 3 mos of lost time and hassle.
--------------------------------------
Body:

When I received my 6.5BA hybrid chassis, I was surprised to discover the wobbly stock. The bolts were loose, so I tightened them to no avail. (kindov a poor design imo, with the screws set in axis of rotation, but ok) The stock piece simply didn’t fit properly in the body. I called cust service, and they (I wont name, though I’m tempted) tried to tell me there was no error.

Something was misaligned w the triggertech fitting also, as can be seen from the vid. After putting on safe then fire, the bolt would not lift until depressing the trigger ever so slightly.

I had to send a video, along with the trigger/bolt/safety malfunction, and they sent a return RMA. I packed up the whole rifle and mailed it, along with the 0 MOA mount (I ordered a 20)

After 3 weeks, the trigger was (sort of) fixed, but stock was exactly the same, with a folded shim stuck in the gap. Are you flipping joking me?

I emailed the ‘fix’ pic, they told me to return just the chassis. I broke down the gun and mailed chassis only. Two more weeks-- had to email inquiry and they sent it back. (apparently it was laying around in a corner somewhere forgotten).

Also I realized they never sent my extra magpul mag, so had to email back a copy of the old invoice and payment.

Even now, the rifle still feels moderately chintzy and cobbled—action, safety and trigger not super solid. My Sako 85 feels more put-together.
I really dont care how many competitive shooters endorse your stuff, and how too cool for school you are, if this is the gear and treatment I get, you can keep your junk.
I recommend saving up a little more bread and going w something reputable like a GAP or similar.

Send the whole thing back, they haven't delivered what was promised, ask for a refund, if they don't do it immediately then dispute the charge with your card, use all this documentation for the dispute.

Edited to add I don't know what you spent, but you can buy an XLR chassis ready to go for around 750 and spend the rest on a Bighorn or Defiance from Mile High and have them chamber you a barrel for it.

I wrote a post out then remembered if I didnt have anything kind to say just keep it to myself. That said my next chassis will be XLR or maybe another KRG Whiskey or may even try out the Magpul Pro (damn lefties are limited...). I'm sorry you had issues, nothing is more frustrating than spending good money on something and it just be thrown together half assed.

That sucks. I'd try to get this in front of Phil Cashin. The IG post reads that he wants to take care of you, the customer. I'd be the squeaky wheel.
Hopefully, MPA fixes YOUR gun and their QC/QA system.

Their has been more and more dissatisfied MPA customers lately.
Theirs been couple of other postings on here with the same complaints
To bad, think they grew to fast for their own good.
Bought my first complete rifle from them 4-5 yrs. ago and they screwed my barrel contour up then
lucky it was a heavier profile and liked it.
Haven't bought or will by directly from them ever again.
They "did" make one of the best chassis out there.

I waited 6 months for a folder last year... Got it and the button that releases the folder didn't work everytime in addition to wobbling like yours. Pain sending it back and when I finally got it back, it was scratched and still didn't work everytime you would press the button. I would have to dig through my emails but pretty sure when I Hit em back up and got some BS well you can send it back on your own dime and we will look at it the second time I politely said no thanks and sold it at a loss locally.

MDT on the other hand has been above and beyond steller in all of my dealings with them. Shop with your feet

Yikes!
That’s pretty damn bad.
Hope you get it sorted out.
I second the XLR option.
They have a great product and awesome customer service.
Put a barreled action in it from some like LRI and be happy.
MDT is another good option.

Reactions: XLR Industries
This makes me nervous. I thought they were a great option for a $1k chassis and put in my order for a Competition chassis about 3 weeks ago. Crossing my fingers that mine turns out right. OP, sorry to hear about your experience. Hope they do indeed fix something and make this right.

I'll bet you'll hear from them real fast when your card tells them they're charging back the cost of the rifle.

My MPA works good, but I have contacted them a few times about various things and their CS is...suspect to say the least.

I also just put in an order for a folding BA chassis, I am now nervous. This is being built by Marc @ Spartan Tactical. How quickly are MPA turning orders?

I also just put in an order for a folding BA chassis, I am now nervous. This is being built by Marc @ Spartan Tactical. How quickly are MPA turning orders?
8-12 weeks according to MPA's website. Sheesh.. I couldn't wait that long for a chassis.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLOOOOOOOLOLOLOL......

(catches breath)

they used an aluminum shim to fix the stock and sent it back like everything was fine

LOOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLLOLOLOLOLLLOOOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

(catches breath)

that shim is apparently a........ masterpiece

P.S. - With that laundry list of problems, especially the safety and wobble, I'd tell them its refund time.

They said 8-12 weeks last year too. Mine took around 20 I think.

I can't complain too much because mine seems fine and was a custom order combo that isn't a regular offering.

Hope you get it sorted, nothing sucks like getting poor customer service from a well known company that sells pricey stuff. No where as bad as your fiasco but a well known scope company gave me piss poor customer service on a part that should have never made through QC, haven’t bought any of their gear since.

Phil went above and beyond helping me out, I was having issues with repeatability most likely not do his mpa chassis. I contacted phil just to ask if there were a couple things I could try, long story short I paid shipping for my rig to him and 2 weeks later its back at my door completely rebuilt/bedded/lockscrews/etc. This rifle wasn't even his build!! He asked for nothing in return, CS top notch in my book. plus the gun is a repeatable fucking hammer now ever since I got it back. My guess phil would not be happy reading this thread and someone will likely get their ass chewed

The chances I've had to handle an MPA chassis I've been impressed but I did find it interesting how quickly everyone overlooked the fact that this was also the company that made the jam-o-matic Mac 10 clones....

I ordered an MPA Competition in NRA blue. It took several months longer receive than promised, but it was as ordered. A couple of months later a friend told me about a store in Richmond,TX that has tons of MPA’s in stock. I walked in a paid less than msrp for a second one. The store is xtreme firearms. Ask for Jamie.

Reactions: elkbow
I have not had any issues with my rifle. This past January I had some general questions I wanted to ask about the chamber in my MPA 6.5cm. I sent an email not expecting much back as the SHOT show was happening at the exact same time. Phil, himself, emailed me back personally within a couple hours while at SHOT.

Reactions: Redeye3
I understand your concerns. Skip the middle man, and contact Phil directly at [email protected].

Phil is passionate about his business and shooting sports. If you've not talked with him directly, it's important that you do so. He may not be aware of the situation, and as serious as it is, he should be made aware.

FWIW I used an MPA Comp chassis for a couple years and the folder got used pretty regularly as the rifle wouldn't fit in the trunk of my shitty little car otherwise. It worked 100% of the time and was incredibly solid. In fact I was always amazed that there was enough tolerance there for it to still open and close smoothly, because when it was locked open there was zero play whatsoever. I don't believe their engineering or design is bad, but you must have gotten a lemon.

My guess phil would not be happy reading this thread and someone will likely get their ass chewed

This reminds me of another company that produces rifle stocks...I have had the owner reach out to me directly to handle delivery issues and things were sorted out extremely fast. Seems like when a company grows and becomes successful the CS part can lag. When you own a business, it's hard to get the people that work for you to truly care as much as you do about the customer/client..not making excuses for them, but I have experienced this first hand.

Seems that while MPA was out becoming the new hotness, they've completely forgotten about the average consumer.

Executive summary:

--Wobbly stock. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pZtuePJnbyb4jvvXJmk3CI1Zfgp_Q9PN

Returned, came back w bad jury rig ‘fix’, still wobbly. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XqK3NXPaYMKEPu4Cx0tY1bRJ0erXf62c

--Safety not functioning correctly. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14x94jTUMw-iI6U63wByXIC6tUZVVapev

--Wrong mount sent.

--Missing ordered magazine.

--Had to contact them a few times each on most of these issues; obviously not a priority.

--Never a single apology or accommodation, let alone some kind of even petty reimbursement for 3 mos of lost time and hassle.
--------------------------------------
Body:

When I received my 6.5BA hybrid chassis, I was surprised to discover the wobbly stock. The bolts were loose, so I tightened them to no avail. (kindov a poor design imo, with the screws set in axis of rotation, but ok) The stock piece simply didn’t fit properly in the body. I called cust service, and they (I wont name, though I’m tempted) tried to tell me there was no error.

Something was misaligned w the triggertech fitting also, as can be seen from the vid. After putting on safe then fire, the bolt would not lift until depressing the trigger ever so slightly.

I had to send a video, along with the trigger/bolt/safety malfunction, and they sent a return RMA. I packed up the whole rifle and mailed it, along with the 0 MOA mount (I ordered a 20)

After 3 weeks, the trigger was (sort of) fixed, but stock was exactly the same, with a folded shim stuck in the gap. Are you flipping joking me?

I emailed the ‘fix’ pic, they told me to return just the chassis. I broke down the gun and mailed chassis only. Two more weeks-- had to email inquiry and they sent it back. (apparently it was laying around in a corner somewhere forgotten).

Also I realized they never sent my extra magpul mag, so had to email back a copy of the old invoice and payment.

Even now, the rifle still feels moderately chintzy and cobbled—action, safety and trigger not super solid. My Sako 85 feels more put-together.
I really dont care how many competitive shooters endorse your stuff, and how too cool for school you are, if this is the gear and treatment I get, you can keep your junk.
I recommend saving up a little more bread and going w something reputable like a GAP or similar.
Ronin, I can understand your frustration. Yes, the repair to the chassis for the wobble on the buttstock was not an appropriate fix. The chassis body or buttstock should have been replaced. The individual within our company that performed this repair has been properly educated on the method to handle this scenario moving forward. I do apologize for this.

With regard to the other issues, if there are any outstanding items that need to be addressed, please contact me directly. Either via direct email or through SH message.

As the owner of MPA, when we fall short on the expectations of our customers, we have to react appropriately and put corrective actions in place to help eliminate these situations moving forward. When a customer invests the money they spend on a rifle, chassis or other product we offer, they deserve an appropriate level of support. Unfortunately, on this occasion, we did not.

Since this occurrence, we have made additions in several departments within our company to improve our level of customer service, repairs, response time, and the accuracy of order fulfillment. We have added another new Horizontal Machining Center which has reduced our lead time on our products.

I am sorry for missing the mark on this project for you. Let me know what we can do to help ease the frustration of this situation..

Phil

Ronin, I can understand your frustration. Yes, the repair to the chassis for the wobble on the buttstock was not an appropriate fix. The chassis body or buttstock should have been replaced. The individual within our company that performed this repair has been properly educated on the method to handle this scenario moving forward. I do apologize for this.

With regard to the other issues, if there are any outstanding items that need to be addressed, please contact me directly. Either via direct email or through SH message.

As the owner of MPA, when we fall short on the expectations of our customers, we have to react appropriately and put corrective actions in place to help eliminate these situations moving forward. When a customer invests the money they spend on a rifle, chassis or other product we offer, they deserve an appropriate level of support. Unfortunately, on this occasion, we did not.

Since this occurrence, we have made additions in several departments within our company to improve our level of customer service, repairs, response time, and the accuracy of order fulfillment. We have added another new Horizontal Machining Center which has reduced our lead time on our products.

I am sorry for missing the mark on this project for you. Let me know what we can do to help ease the frustration of this situation..

Phil

Phil i appreciate you coming on here and taking care of the issues with you customer service. I for one love your chassis’s. The fit/finish is awesome.

But just like Manners, the top guy can’t always be handling the problems that arise from the team. I’m in customer service and without our customers, there is no roof over my head/family, or food in the table....

Phil i appreciate you coming on here and taking care of the issues with you customer service. I for one love your chassis’s. The fit/finish is awesome.

But just like Manners, the top guy can’t always be handling the problems that arise from the team. I’m in customer service and without our customers, there is no roof over my head/family, or food in the table....
Yes, you are correct about that. Without customers, we have nothing. However, on this case, I felt the appropriate response needed to come from me.

The remainder of our team has been aware of this situation for quite some time. It certainly lead to the changes mentioned in my initial response.

Yes, you are correct about that. Without customers, we have nothing. However, on this case, I felt the appropriate response needed to come from me.

Thanks for responding on this forum. The innerweb can be a fickle mistress, and damage control is no fun whatsoever. When your company grows rapidly it can be like drinking from a firehose in some aspects. Hopefully the changes in process benefit the customer and you continue to succeed.

Reactions: MPA
I reached out to Phil directly today on voicemail and email, his response was immediate. I indicated being a potential new customer with a folding stock on order. He shared the issues and changes he is making as a leader. I respect his approach and eagerly await shipment for my build.

Last edited:
Reactions: MPA
MPA,
That is awesome that you are addressing this directly. I don't think as customers we can ask any more. Thank you .
I mean should a small company even get to this point? There’s a disconnect somewhere that definitely needs to be fixed.

I mean should a small company even get to this point? There’s a disconnect somewhere that definitely needs to be fixed.
I'd wager that MPA is one of the fastest growing businesses in our industry. Growing means growing pains. No matter what business you are in things can slip by. The owner of the business can not always lay hands on an RMA product. The owner's job is to steer the ship not row. Phil is addressing both issues. Take your axe and grind it elsewhere.

There will always be some issues in any manufacturing process; it’s just the nature of how things go, especially when humans are involved. Phil has implemented new practices and training to fix this from being an issue in the future.

Justin

Reactions: AverageGrunt
Mistakes happen. It's how you handle them that separates you from the competition. I'd be upset if I had the same experience. No doubt about it. Hopefully Phil and the MPA team get it sorted out properly for the OP.

I do understand growing pains, and sometimes getting stuck w poor personnel. I was quite accommodating during the whole process, perhaps that's why I got the redheaded stepchild.

Probably the most irritating thing is the last bullet-- disregard, and seemingly not a shred of remorse (until now, go figure....) or small token for some good faith.
I ordered a Khales 624i from them and disliked the CA. It had only been out of the box 3 times to look through, never mounted. I requested a return w store credit-- NOPE, even after all the bull w the rifle. Maybe that would have been a decent gesture? Many shops will do that regardless. https://www.eurooptic.com/ReturnForm.aspx

I still like the innovative philosophy of MPA, and the idea of their guns; but I hope this is a wakeup call when something leaves the shop with those issues, twice. Customer service also goes without saying.

I do understand growing pains, and sometimes getting stuck w poor personnel. I was quite accommodating during the whole process, perhaps that's why I got the redheaded stepchild.

Probably the most irritating thing is the last bullet-- disregard, and seemingly not a shred of remorse (until now, go figure....) or small token for some good faith.
I ordered a Khales 624i from them and disliked the CA. It had only been out of the box 3 times to look through, never mounted. I requested a return w store credit-- NOPE, even after all the bull w the rifle. Maybe that would have been a decent gesture? Many shops will do that regardless. https://www.eurooptic.com/ReturnForm.aspx

I still like the innovative philosophy of MPA, and the idea of their guns; but I hope this is a wakeup call when something leaves the shop with those issues, twice. Customer service also goes without saying.

So, I didn’t see the issue with the scope listed previously in the thread. Perhaps I overlooked it. Have you addressed this issue directly with Phil, prior to posting in this thread? I contacted Phil this morning alerting him of the issue and he responded to the concerns promptly in this thread. He’s also stated in this thread to let him know if there are other issues, which I take as him wanting to do the right thing, within reason.

I’ve dealt with some other larger firearms companies who were nowhere near as responsive or willing to take care of their customers. If you haven’t spoken or emailed him, I would suggest doing that. We can all understand your frustration, but contacting him directly off of a forum will likely generate a solution much faster.

Justin

ddd for damage control. Thanks for the advice. So you understand correctly-- all this happened way before my initial post. He/They had months to do whatever they were going to, which is nothing. The owner being accommodating after being aired out on a forum doesn't really impress me nor change what happened.

I did not have any access to Phil directly, nor did I feel I should do that. I suppose I foolishly assumed that the two folks I spoke w innumerable times were theoretically handling things and speaking for the company.

The scope issue was not in the initial post as I wanted to focus on the rifle. It was secondary, though relevant, which is why I added it.

So, I didn’t see the issue with the scope listed previously in the thread. Perhaps I overlooked it. Have you addressed this issue directly with Phil, prior to posting in this thread? I contacted Phil this morning alerting him of the issue and he responded to the concerns promptly in this thread. He’s also stated in this thread to let him know if there are other issues, which I take as him wanting to do the right thing, within reason.

I’ve dealt with some other larger firearms companies who were nowhere near as responsive or willing to take care of their customers. If you haven’t spoken or emailed him, I would suggest doing that. We can all understand your frustration, but contacting him directly off of a forum will likely generate a solution much faster.

Justin

I’m not a business owner or ever want to be one. Just because you’re growing doesn’t mean you have to slack in the customer service department and later make a statement when a bunch of people start complaining. Called a clue.
MDT is growing.. Their CS is top notch. RRS is growing too and they have top notch CS.

I’ve mentioned before I have money in MPA products and haven’t used their customer service yet but knowing I have to reach out and even Cc my email to the owner is a head scratcher.

Again no axe to grind. Just a consumer’s point of view on business practices.

I have their Comp chassis (fixed stock) and scope mount. Ordered both from resellers since MPA was B/O on both. Other than the set screws for the mag tension have not having any thread agent to keep them from backing out when not screwed tight against the mag (not a big deal since I noticed it before one fell out), I am happy with them. Being underwater (perpetual backorder) has to create a bunch of pressure on them. No excuse for shipping stuff that was not properly checked for quality, but the resources they need to keep up with the demand are not easy to acquire. They could do what Bartlein does and just flat out say 4-6 months before we are going to ship your stuff, but then people would bitch about that as well.

XLR puts out a good product. Recently added one of their chassis to a build. Solid unit.

You're upset because they wouldn't take back the scope you reviewed in this thread?

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...4-5-30-ffp-fov-vs-ca-vs.6937728/#post-7664966

Did you keep it past the 30 day return window?

lol, you guys will grab and twist any small straws you can find wont you. But please, dig the hole deeper.... Yes that scope.

a) I just did this test today. These MPA events occurred months ago. I certainly did not keep it past any 30 day 'window'. There was no window-- I immediately, as in maybe a week, told them about the CA and asked for return (not even a refund, store credit). They said all issues the scope goes back to Kahles in Austria. It had been out of the box twice for viewing; never mounted.

b) The scope is still in mint new condition. I took it out one more time for the test, gently placed on the table for a pic. Rest of the time it was on a towel. I know it is quite possibly getting sold, so I'm babying it.

c) I am upset w the whole ordeal, as would anyone. The scope is a small part of it.

I’m not a business owner or ever want to be one. Just because you’re growing doesn’t mean you have to slack in the customer service department and later make a statement when a bunch of people start complaining. Called a clue.

Growing business means that you have handed aspects of the business off to others to manage. If that person is not managing it properly, or doing it to your expectations, you won't know unless someone else tells you.

The owner gets notified and remedies are immediate - tells me that the business want's to run properly, just need to get the employees on board with the company ethic.

I've dealt with the owner of another regarded top notch company, and I will not recommend them or do business with them again. 6 months on a 12 week lead time, with emails every time a ETA was passed (5 times) just to have a problem chamber and warranty that also got put at the back of the line for production. Talked a good talk publically, but actions are the real deal.

The problem with this hobby is that companies and products are held in a cult-like regard that anything that is said that isn't positive gets attacked by members here. I too had a very bad experience with at builder and designer of the most popular action being produced right now. I didn't dare make mention of it publicly online for fear that I would be the one attacked. Two other friends had similar experiences as I did as well. Ultimately I was refunded for the build and went on with my life. When I research a product online I go straight to the negative reviews. If I start seeing a commmon issue I stay away from it. In this sport anything other then being a fan boy and you become the one on the defense. Sharing information is okay online these days as long as the information is positive. Stop protecting these companies and they'll be forced to improve their products and services.

1. The moderators don't have a problem with first hand problems and you voicing them
in a constructive way. They do have a problem with the people that don't have any skin in the game
and jumping on the band wagon.

2. I believe some of these companies think that a couple emails and phone calls can be overlooked
or ignored to an extent, cause they have sooo much other business
that they aren't worried about losing a little.
Also could be that when you grow to big to fast and you hire someone to take a job
that they are not suited for and the owner never hears of these problems till it becomes
to big.

3. This forum is so big (over 130,000 members) that when one person mentions a problem
it's potentially heard by all members and we are their buyers, so the squeaky wheel
gets greased.

Problems with a product can be a pain in the ass to deal with, let's discuss it with honest
and civil discussion, and hope that these companies take us, their target buyers seriously
and fix that problem, if possible, sooner than later..

When did this whole "I bought something, opened it and didn't like it, now I want to return it" thing start where we paint the Vendor as the dick?

How do they know it's never been mounted and now that you've opened it, it's considered used, why should they take the haircut on your poor purchase research?