• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Masterpiece arms switch lug issue fix

Lesco Brandon

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 1, 2018
I have a masterpiece arms 65 BA comp switch lug with the axiom action and TT diamond. The issue is the barrel would not loosen from the action despite the switch lug being loosened. The barrel would easily unscrew once 1/2 turn of the front action screw was released. The action was tightened with everything in place and the chassis measured .010” of flex, not much at all for the barrel to bind.

Phil from MPA had not heard of this issue and went above and beyond to assist me. He played with his personal rifle to find the problem. It was discovered the recoil lug was sitting on top of the recoil lug tension device. The screw directly in front of the front action screw must be loose and pressed upwards as the action screws are tightened to ensure it functions a intended. Once the action screws are hand tight the recoil lug tension screw can be tightened then everything snugged to spec.
You can see in the picture where the recoil lug was digging into the tension device. I hope this helps someone out who might have this issue as well.

Attachments

• 0FDD3936-E74C-468A-BBD4-20EF5CC27826.jpeg
    0FDD3936-E74C-468A-BBD4-20EF5CC27826.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: winniedonkey
Good to know as I'll be buying one this year. Outside of this issue, how do you like the rifle?

Also good to know as I’ll be assembling this same type system this week. Any chance you have an action with a short, integrated lug? Perhaps the small lug barrel was used and the large would fit better? How did you find this issue? Just trying to understand.

I just bought a MPA BA chassis and am following this thread. My chassis came with some extra pieces that I have no idea what they are for. They are both similar in appearance to the picture above. Any insight would be appreciated.