• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match 308 Ammo

TSpork

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I have a Remington 700 5R Gen 1 in .308. It's my first precision rifle, and I've taken it out a couple times. So far, the only thing I've shot through it is 168 FGMM. I'm about to order some more ammo in the next day or so and I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for .308 match ammo. Usually I hear about FGMM, and I plan on buying some more in the 168 and 175 variety.

Any other ammo I should look at? Any brands/names that I should avoid because they aren't really "match" grade ammo? I've seen there are some match ammo in 308 by Privi, Remington, Magtech, Fiocchi, etc.

Give the Federal match ammo with the 185 juggernauts a crack. My tikka shot the federal 175s well too.

Hornsby 168 amax shoot great too

There is 168fgmm cases for around $415 shipped in the for sale section FYI

factory ammo out to 1000-1100 yards i have found FGMM 175 shot most consistent.
they had the best ES in velocity.
every couple of FPS equals 1" up and down at that distance

The fact that no ones mentioned Black Hills ammo should be a crime.

Brass is winchester too so just save it up for when you reload.

Reactions: AMGtuned
this was several years ago but i found that when i was shooting a lot of 308 the BH was a spread of 30-35 FPS.
targets were 17" x 11" maidens and the 30 FPS was actually hitting above or below the target on sequential shots. figure my rifle/my ability was good for 7-8" group at that distance if i remember, so 4 or 5" up and down was causing issues.
brass is better though, the federal stuff gets loos after only a couple of reloads.

Check out Black Water Precision Ammunition. I switched over to this from FGMM. So far it has shot better and it's cheaper.

Gorilla Ammunition has always shot better than FGMM to me.

FGMM here too. I wont even post how well it shoots in my TRG as it would be dismissed as internet lore.

Reactions: trob_205
depending on how far you shoot I would stick with the GMM with the match kings. (in my gun at least) you have to handload in order to get good results from secant ogive bullets. SMKs are tangent and from my experience very jump friendly so factory loaded ammo works well

Smk is obsolete.. way better modern high bc bullets to choose from today.

Wait a minute......really? Sure, theres a large selection of bullets out there, but in no way can you claim Matchkings are obsolete. Maybe if you own the bullet factory producing .8 b.c bullets made from tungsten and diamonds that perform perfect from 1000-8756fps. I'm gonna say you dont. Therefore I'll still say that smk is the standard, and a great baseline to work from. My .308 shoots 168smk better than any other bullet out there that I've tried (except your secret diamond rounds). Matter of fact, I only use smk, from 69gr up to 220gr. Have loaded some nosler, hornady, and Berger too.

Bottom line, FGMM, or Black Hills anything, you can count on for great practice/learning/match ammo.

I've tried Black Hills, Hornady, PriviPartizan, and FGGM. My AI and two Rem 700s perform best with the FGGM. I use it to benchmark my handloads. I routinely get 5-shot 3/4 groups or better from all three rifles with it.

Harry

20rounds 100 yards.

20180408_121115.jpg

It all depends on what your barrel likes. But, a few that I have had success with in a Bartlein 25", 1:10 twist:

Black Hills 175gr MHP
Gorilla 175gr SMK (very consistent velocities)
Prime 175gr OTM (I've had the best groups with this)

But that's what MY rifle likes... need to figure out what YOUR rifle likes. And if your rifle likes the cheap stuff, no worries - shoot that. Just because it's expensive, doesn't necessarily mean you'll see the results downrange. Every barrel and rifle is different.

Zq9WjCU.jpg

My recent results with FGMM using 175gr SMKs in my AI AT, sighting in for the MHSA Precision Shooting Training class. The flyer at 1 o'clock is operator error.

Harry, humbled operator

178gr BTHP in the Match line or 178gr ELD-X in the Precision Hunter line.
Then try both of those. My rifle likes the 178 ELD-X better (much better) than the 178 ELD-M, so that's what I load for it.

Prime is good stuff but very slow.
FGMM is super accurate but also on the slow side and people don't like the brass for reloading.

This year I have switched to HSM ammo. 178 Amax going 2720 out of a 28" barrel has netted 2-top 20's in PRS matches and easily taking the top TAC class.
They are decent priced and also offer a 155 gr bullet that shoots better than the 178's but was over the speed limit with my long barrel.

https://hsmammunition.com/match/

Not affiliated with them. A friend turned me on to them and they are legit.

2018 ks prs 308 3.jpg

Good luck!
DT

Reactions: shooter65
I have a Gen 1 5R and the 175 FGMM shot extremely well. Hornady 168 Match shot well. The best long range load I tried was Hornady Superformance 178 BTHP.

Good luck with the Hornady 168 BTHP match. Was a nice surprise so I picked up 100 of the bullets to reload and it is very very similar to my 168 SMKs ....same group size just slightly different POA with same load....cheaper and easier and now my training bullet until they stop working

Prime 175gr ammo. It shoots amazing in all my guns, both bolts and gassers. I like it so much I bought 4 cases on the Prime moving sale.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! It seems like for the most part it is FGMM, Hornady, Prime, and HSM

Also, I just picked up a Co-Ax press, so it looks like I'm going to be reloading a lot sooner than I had planned