• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match ammunition. Is it worth it?

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    I recently bought a new DPMS LR-308. I bought some ammunition to break in the barrel (let's not go down this rabbit hole) and to shoot for groups. I had two boxes of Federal Fusion 165 gr bullets, one box of Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr Sierra MatchKing, and one box of Hornady Match 168 gr boat tail hollow point (all 308 win). I started with the federal fusion at the 100 yard line after a 100 yard bore sight (let's not go down this rabbit hole either). As it turns out I did not go through the barrel break in procedure- as I had left everything other than my bore guide and rod at home. I just shot through the two boxes of fusions then went to the match bullets to see which the gun liked best. Below are pictures of 3 5-shot groups. The first is the last 5 shots from the federal fusions. In all cases the cartridges were hand fed into the chamber and I allowed a 3-4 minute wait time between shots (my superstitions are my own and well ingrained).

Here is the 5 shot group from the Federal Fusion.

FederalFusion.jpg

Here is the 5 shot group from the Federal Gold Medal Match.

FederalMatch.jpg

Here is the 5 shot group from the Hornady Match.

HornadyMatch.jpg

0.87" edge to edge.

This gun is currently topped with a Bushnell sport view 3-9 variable power scope that was bought in around 1990 and has been on every rifle I own from a marlin in 30-30 win (the first) to a .17 HMR, and both of my deer rifles (bolt guns). The fine portion of the reticle completely subtends a 0.75" circle. A Night Force may be in my future, but I have to save up my lunch money.

To answer the initial question. I would say yes...

Full disclosure- This is my first autoloader. I am not an "operator," "tactical shooter," "precision shooter," "competitive shooter," "long range shooter," or any permutation thereof. I shoot because I hunt, although, I would like to get into competitive shooting. I reload my own ammunition for my 270 win and 7mm rem mag bolt guns.

Re: Match ammunition. Is it worth it?

Nice group with the Hornady!

How the hell did your pictures end up loading like that?

Looks like you might be rolling your own for the 308 as well? You should be able to make some match grade ammo for a whole lot cheaper. Gonna need it if you compete! Good luck!

I've got the dies, but wanted a "known quantity" for the initial sight in. Now I have the mark to beat with hand loads.

And, at least for me, I have dispelled the myth of breaking in a barrel...

How did I load the pictures? First, I loaded them onto photobucket. Then I clicked on the direct image link to copy it to the clipboard...

Photobucket.jpg

Then I clicked on the "Enter an Image" button. Make sure you are in the full reply window or you do not see the button...

snipershide.jpg

Then I clicked on "Insert a Non Floating Image."

imageloading.jpg

Once you click on that button, Ctrl+V to paste the link from photobucket into the window. Finally, click the Preview Post button (Next to the Submit button) to make sure you put the right pictures in the right place, then hit submit.

I wonder if there is a gun out there that shoots Federal Fusions better than "minute of pie plate" at 100 yards. The black target is greater than 6" in diameter...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackrifle1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like you answered the question
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

You should be able to duplicate your match loads buy hand loading with the equivalent Hornady Match projos or Sierra MK's.

Unless you're getting the Hornady or FGMM for less than $20 a box I would suggest going to 175 SMK and trying out Copper Creek Ammo instead. You should see the same results as above (FGMM should've grouped like the Hornady so I think you pulled 2 shots lol
    laugh.gif
    ). Around here the cheapest is FGMM and it's still $26 a box...

I fully plan to start hand loading. I have the dies. I may well have pulled a couple of shots, in all of the groups. I have been known to jerk one into the x-ring. The only shop around here that had match ammo is pretty pricey ($39 for FGMM, $29 for Hornady). But, like whole foods, you pay for the selection. I have a lot of unfired winchester brass, but am strongly considering scapping it and starting with Lapua brass. I load Barnes X bullets for my 270 and 7mm, but being that I will likely not ever take this rifle anywhere there is a lead ban (Cali for example) I may well stick with lead core bullets. As an aside, my 270 really likes 140 gr TSX bullets over 53.5 gr H100V- less than 1" at 100 yards with a stock Remington mountain rifle. As this 308 will have to do duty as a hunting rifle (it was bought as my "pig gun") I would like to find a good hunting bullet that approaches the tolerances of match bullets.

I will check out Copper Creek. Thanks.

I would suggest you try the American Eagle 168 OTM load also.
    It is geared specifically to gas guns (crimped primers) and has proven to be quite accurate from the three bolt guns I have used it in.
    It can usually be had from Palmetto State for around 16 a box.

You will need to remove the crimp to reload the brass, but it seems to be decent enough brass to me.

Mine likes 150's for some reason. Did not have good groups with the heavier rounds.
    You said you single loaded your rounds ? Never and I say NEVER do this !!! I did the same thing and had a slam fire !!! Loaded a single round in the chamber and let the bolt fly home and the round fired.... I was no were near the trigger. Thank God I was the only person there and my rifle was pointing down range. Scared the crap out of me for that never happened to me before.
    If this has happened to someone else I would like to hear your story........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ammo dog 2311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine likes 150's for some reason. Did not have good groups with the heavier rounds.
    You said you single loaded your rounds ? Never and I say NEVER do this !!! I did the same thing and had a slam fire !!! Loaded a single round in the chamber and let the bolt fly home and the round fired.... I was no were near the trigger. Thank God I was the only person there and my rifle was pointing down range. Scared the crap out of me for that never happened to me before.
    If this has happened to someone else I would like to hear your story........ </div></div>

Interesting, DPMS has a mag dummy called the "Original Bob sled" (OBS) which is designed just for this. I am looking at the 2012 catalog right now. Here is the copy...

"It is a magazine that holds no rounds. Its purpose is to allow the loading and firing of single rounds during competition, at the bench-rest, or out varmint shooting. The OBS is machined from black derlin."

They sell then for the 5.56 and for the 308 lowers.

Here is the web page...

http://dpmsinc.3dcartstores.com/The-Original-Bob-Sled-for-LR308-by-Bob-Hahin_p_695.html

For my money, an empty mag works as well.

I have read that some primers are softer (Federal match?) and can be fired [rarely] by the free floating firing pin hitting them during round chambering. I did not see this issue with the FGMM, but I think this is more of a handload ammunition concern. I use CCI primers.

I also read one instance of a gun that did what you describe, and that case was attributed to a firing pin that was gunked up from lots of firing and was stuck in the "out" position.

These are push feed (as opposed to controlled feed) weapons and there is not much difference between shoving a round out of the mag versus closing on a chambered round. The BC is closing faster in the later, but in both cases the gun is basically slamming closed on a round.

All of the above not withstanding, I have little experience with (and less trust for) these weapons. Before I closed the chamber I made sure I was on target (looking through the scope, ready to fire), just in case.

I also read somewhere where someone modded their firing pin/bolt (on a SR/LR platform) to accept a firing pin spring.

I keep my weapons very clean so that was not the problem. Can't remember what brand ammo but it was factory made. Mite have been Remington. I have single loaded the chamber many times in the past with other semi's I have.
    Do you think I should call DPMS and ask them ? My feeling is they will ask me to send the rifle in at my cost. That's not going to happen ! Probably goin to waste my time on the phone is what I am thinking. I have had no other problems with the gun. I had to send my Kahr arms tommy gun in for repair and it took 6 weeks to get it back ( bad bolt they said ) when I got it back I found the screws on the rear site were loose and 2 were gone. Called them and they wanted me to send it in again. NOPE... To much money...just send me the stinking screws and I will do it my self....great service.......first for me again.......

Clearly the Hornady group comes with bragging rights. However, the Federal Fusion looks like 'minute of hog' to me.

I'm no expert by any means, but I see a vast improvement with my groups when I shoot my own hand loads versus factory match grade ammo. Last week my mission at the range was to burn through the last 30-40 rounds or so of factory ammo just to get the brass. The best I could squeeze was moa at 200yds. My loads are consistently sub-moa at 200 & 300.

If you want to scrap the winchester brass, scrap it my way! I haven't yet spent the money on Lapua or even Norma brass, but it's in the plan.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

BTW: thanks for posting the 'how-to' picture post!