• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match and Magnum rifle primers - any difference ?

dragoon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Carolina Lowcountry
Has anybody noticed a measureable difference between match and magnum rifle primer performance , in terms of velocity and accuracy , particularly in .300 Win Mag ?

Re: Match and Magnum rifle primers - any difference ?

Hm..

Someone once did a test taking pictures of primers going off..

They had a whole bunch of pictures compared right as the primer was at max ignition.

I think it was German Salazar but I'm not 100% sure. Someone might be able to finish this thought for me.

Again, if my memory serves me correctly the russian primers had the biggest flame.

I wouldn't use a non magnum primer in a .300WM.

I think a better question would be is there any different between the regular Magnum Large Rifle primer and the Match Magnum Large Rifle primer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think a better question would be is there any different between the regular Magnum Large Rifle primer and the Match Magnum Large Rifle primer? </div></div>

+1 on this, I hope your not using match, large rifle primers on your 300 win mag otherwise you may have a lot of unburned powder coming out of your barrel. You need magnum primers.

match primers make a lesser flash than standard (the less influence of the primer on pressure increases consistency) magnum makes a greater flash so magnum match is ? possibly more effort for consistency or just batches that test better

I don't have any proof but the consensus is that match primers have a more consistent burn than regular. I am using match magnum for my .338 lapua instead of regular magnum primers. Just harder to find right now.

German Salazar has an article on primers (PALMA and long range 308 match shooting mainly). In that article, he states that the weakest primer is the one you want because it leads to the least variance in MV; that is small ES and SD numbers.

here is my opinion. i use match primers in some of my guns for peice of mind. i want to know ive done everything in my power to make my ammo as accurate as i can when i pull the trigger. i doubt they make a diffrence in real world.

My targets and chronograph tell me there is no difference in 210/210m and cci200/BR2, but my wallet feels lighter when I buy match primers, I'm sure magnum primers are the same.

I have used magnum, standard and match clear up to the 7RUM case.

Once I work up a load I start switching primers. Some times a match makes the best groups and sometimes it does not. I have never noticed a big difference in velocity. For me a match primer is noting more than another option to try to imporve the group.

Here's my approach.

I develop my loads using standard primers. When I'm all done, I test with match primers, to see if they actually make a difference. Very often, if I've done my load development successfully, they make so little difference that they tend not to be useful as anything but a reassurance factor.

Now, I may use them anyway, for that reassurance factor; when I'm being particularly anal about a specific event I'm loading for.

Whether they actually make a practical difference may be less important than the lift they give my confidence level.

Don't undersell the shooter's personal confidence. If you don't believe you can win, you probably can't, even with flawless tools. If you believe you're unbeatable, I personally think that's worth a few extra points. Maybe I can't prove it, but I see no harm in believing it.

Greg

In the Speer book it says the CCI match primers are made to the same spec as the standard ones. Just with more experienced people working the assembly line.