• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Match Bullet on Deer Video

jeffbird

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2006
Texas
There is almost continuous discussion here of this bullet vs. that bullet for deer hunting.

The discussion usually seems to falls into two distinct lines of thought, either the use the most heavy duty construction bullet from a magnum of some variety vs. the use whatever you can shoot best and place most precisely which usually means a match bullet or something similar.

I favor the second group. To me, the ideal placement is in the spine at the base of the neck just forward of the shoulder. I think most any bullet will work fine as long as it is accurate.

Here is a video of my wife shooting a cull buck last weekend with her 308 GAP, Nightforce, and in this case factory Hornady TAP 168 grain Amax.

SMK's and Cauterucios produce similar results in my personal experience. This box of ammo was handy and I wanted to use it up, so she checked her zero and then we took it hunting.

While the debate will never end, here is why I feel comfortable hunting with match bullets. They allow for effective and humane results on the animals.

Details on the deer - The deer was a 3 1/2 year old, 7 point, measuring a total of 81", which is a definite must go on the cull criteria for this ranch. Dressed weight was only 125#, which is abnormally low for this ranch, but we are experiencing an epic level drought. In case anyone wonders why she is using a rifle in October in Texas, this is an 10,000+ acre low fence ranch with a Level 3 Managed Lands Permit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl0y6dVNig

Re: Match Bullet on Deer Video

That deer looked like hell. Just imagine how bad the herds would look with the moon bats had their way and banned hunting. Legs in the stiff extended position post impact is a indicator of paralysis. Neurological compliance at its finest.

I remember 10+ yrs ago when these forums were being born. I argued and argued, Matchkings and shot placement ( accuracy ) trumps any bullet made. Period.

This is a perfect example.

Thanks Jeff!

So why not have the best attributes of both worlds? There are bonded bullets like Accubonds as accurate as the SMK, at least mine are.

Jeff, well done right there. Hit them right and it's over.

Here is my counterpoint from 4 seasons ago. I lugged my heavy main LR rifle in with proven accurate 178AMAX target loads. Younger buck (UP MI, they don't grow horns vs. body like in southern states) and got two in square. It still went well over 100yards after wait. Vitals were generally clean in dress, lungs compromised in death; straight-through for all practical matters. Shot opportunity in this condition is short range <75. After that experience I went back to conventual means.

Exit wounds. A TIS sling off rifle did pull it all the way out.
178amax.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why not have the best attributes of both worlds? There are bonded bullets like Accubonds as accurate as the SMK, at least mine are. </div></div>

my 200gr accubonds are actually more accurate than the 200gr SMKs.

Interesting the mentioning of accubonds. While I do like this bullet from Nosler. I did have a rather interesting experience with them.

I had done a work up with them for a buddies 300RUM. I keep an open mind and always use a large selection of bullets when breaking in and working up a load for a new stick. Turns out this RUM loved the Accubonds. SO off we go on this speed goat hunt. Long story short we find one and dialed it in at just over 500 yards. Buddy touches one off an connects with a rib, bullet does an abrupt 90* turn down and literally guts this speed goat. however, it just split open the hide. Pretty messy situation until it was ended by a .308 ...shooting.... wait for it... a 175 SMK.

Even a "good bullet" has bad days... ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocadori</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting the mentioning of accubonds. While I do like this bullet from Nosler. I did have a rather interesting experience with them.

I had done a work up with them for a buddies 300RUM. I keep an open mind and always use a large selection of bullets when breaking in and working up a load for a new stick. Turns out this RUM loved the Accubonds. SO off we go on this speed goat hunt. Long story short we find one and dialed it in at just over 500 yards. Buddy touches one off an connects with a rib, bullet does an abrupt 90* turn down and literally guts this speed goat. however, it just split open the hide. Pretty messy situation until it was ended by a .308 ...shooting.... wait for it... a 175 SMK.

Even a "good bullet" has bad days... ;-) </div></div>

i had the same thing happen with a 180 ballistic silver tip. i never recovered the bullet or any part of it but i hit this doe at almost 300 yards perfect broadside, the bullet passed through but right in the middle of her sternum, there was a huge hole!!! i wish i knew what really happened internally.

Great shot. I'm with you on shot placement. I more hunters would get off the bench and practice more real life shooting and placing accurate shots ammo wouldn't matter so much.