• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Match Chamber or SAAMI

Buckoman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2008
Hatfield, Pa
So I'm at my gunsmith debating what to do. I'm building a 260 Rem and want a chamber that my bullets are in the groove at mag length. Mr. gunsmith says he recommends a SAAMI chamber and that he hates the 260 cause they are too finicky. Apparently SAAMI chambers have a lot of jump.

Does a match chamber or short chamber make a difference? Any smiths' here have a recommendation?

Re: Match Chamber or SAAMI

Forgot to mention: I'll be using a 142SMK. I guess what I'm asking is what freebore should I have the smith set it up for? Anyone recommend a specific reamer?

Also, I have Remington B-R brass which is pretty thin. Should i have him build the neck for that cartriage or keep the neck diameter the same?

I would have PTG build me a reamer around the new Lapua 260 brass,seat the bullet of your choice in a case so it fits your magazine and send it to Dave Kiff at PTG and he will send you a reamer that will be ready to go!

You didnt mention what you planned to do with the rifle. Personally I like flexability and a match chamber that only chambers certain brass is too limiting.

Reamers can come in two pieces, I like a factory body to accept any brass cartridge and a spitzer pilot to better match the long but pointy bullets.

An experienced gunsmith can match the reamer to what you wish to do.

Good Luck

Getting any of the 308-based cartridges to both fit in a magazine and touch the lands is a challenge: at least with match bullets. This is one of the things that the 6.5x47L fixes. If you heart is not set on a 260REM, I'd definitely look at the 6.5x47L