• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match Grade Ammo for Hunting Application

geronimo2011

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Hello,

I was working on building my 7 PRC and when i was getting ready to order the 175 grn bullets the guy at the check out asked me why I am not shooting the 180 ELD Match or the 190 A Tip. Now Im have hunted with match ammo and they were effective, but i want to get everyone’s opinion on the pros and cons if I went purely with a match bullet for hunting application.

Thanks!

DO NOT use an A-Tip. They don't expand at all. The old A Max worked very well and while the A-Tip is an accurate bullet it absolutely isn't a hunting bullet. Seriously in a hunting application I doubt you'll see any difference between an ELD-M & an ELD-X. The ELD-X work very well.

Give the ELDX a try. They work excellent in 30 cals that I’ve used them in. Have had mixed results in the 6.5’s though

One bullet that always works is a Barnes LRX. Low drag bullet, very accurate and very deadly. They make a 168 gr if you're looking for a heavier bullet. This one will act like a 180.

if you need the difference in accuracy (if you can get them to shoot better than a "hunting bullet)...get closer

there is not a exploitable accuracy difference between a premium hunting bullet and a match bullet inside 4-500 yards

its hunting not ELR

way out west where its hill top to hilltop...maybe

personally hunting is the skill of finding, stalking, harvesting game, not seeing how far away i can shoot it

just my opinion

Good advice brianf. Mirrors my hunting ethos.
Answering the OP’s question, for 6.5 bullets, ELDM and ELDX are very similar according to this test.

YMMV, happy hunting

Last edited:
Depends on what you are hunting. For Deer, Antelope and anything smaller, ANY bullet will do. Killing whitetails with 55gr .223 is automatic. They die easy.

Now moose, bear, Elk and other big heavy shit is where bullet comp matters.

Only chads use hornady bullets. Don't be a chad.

• Haha
Reactions: FNG1001
Caveat: All my experience with ELD’s has been in 6.5 Creedmoor. With that being said, in my guns the 140 ELD-M and the 143 ELD-X had the same zeroes and dope within two tenths out to 700 yards, which is farther than most hunters have any business shooting. They also both had comparable terminal performance in white tails, if I did my part.

Pick which ever one you’ll practice more with, and get to work!

Reactions: BurtG
Depends on what you are hunting. For Deer, Antelope and anything smaller, ANY bullet will do. Killing whitetails with 55gr .223 is automatic. They die easy.

Now moose, bear, Elk and other big heavy shit is where bullet comp matters.

Only chads use hornady bullets. Don't be a chad.
Is that Karen's husband or that thing that hung around Florida years ago during the election?