• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match in Central California ~ Match Director looking for feedback

Diver160651

Who cares
Minuteman
  • Feb 7, 2013
    La Honda
    I am reaching out here on behalf of our local match director to get the Hides’ feedback on what shooters would like to see in the club match he organizes. I'd appreciate if you could take 5 minutes help by taking the survey.

No emails are asked for or collected.
    Here is the rub. The matches are currently at or near capacity, so the match director is considering what changes could be made to accommodate more shooters. If he does, I guess the main issue is, will there be enough interest to run more matches and or, have more people attend a larger format; or will the match jump the shark. He is very interested in your feedback.​
    The current match is takes place about once a month on Sundays, with an optional NRL22 Match the night before and camping available Saturday night.​
    Frank has brought up a couple of very good points recently regarding matches. My main takeaway was/is what can we as shooters and match directors do to help grow the sport.​
    While big 3 or two day matches is excellent fun and worth the money to me, not everyone has the same resources. Even if they do, smaller easier to manage matches are where the sport is going to grow and the match world needs these to keep the pipeline full.​
    To that end, I think we have a great match for shooters, looking to learn, challenge themselves, or tune up for the bigger matches, but are also concerned with budget and time.​
    The main goal would be to bring more new to shooting matches to experience a match in a unique friendly, fun format as well to have a friendly place to work on your larger match skill set. This is a great match to bring your younger shooters, hunting gun, gas gun or race gun.​
    Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim
    Feel free to PM me with questions. The Match Director's email is at the bottom.

About the current Match Format.
    41541185014_3c95d8e345_z.jpg
    The match is actually two matches in one and It runs just about every month, has 8 stations that can be All Prone as an entry-level match, or off barricades/obstacles as the Open division. The current field of fire at each station is fairly diverse with targets in valleys, hillsides on ridges and over various wind corridors. The course covers about 2 miles of hiking up and down rolling hills, usually with more than enough wind to keep things exciting. The match is all steel 2moa or better, ranging 200 yards to 900, 1 shot per target, 50 rounds. In the image above targets are scattered thought the hills and valleys

In the image below, you can see about how the stations are spaced; station up on the hill at 1oclock.
    42216174662_5d2f827692_z.jpg
    Positional match, they’ve done a pretty good job of creating a course of fire that spells out the intended firing positions. Most that tend to finish near the top, are self-imposing ½ the allowed timeline. Sure, it causes a bit more misses, but the point is practice. So it is whatever you want to make of it. There is a ton of time if your a newer shooter. There are at least two completely different obstacle sets at each station.​
    41547891964_cf473e71a6_z.jpg
    The prone match, is ideal for hunters or newer shooters trying to gain a bit more experience at longer ranges and soft entry into matches. The prone format is molded after the now closed (due to politics) Whittington Center in Raton; 1 shot, hit or miss move on per target.​
    Match Director's email [email protected]
    Email him if your interested in attending a match​

The match is in Central California:
    1 hour from Fresno​
    1.5 from Bakersfield​
    2.5 hours from San Jose​
    3:15 hours from SF​
    3:15 hours from Sacramento​
    4 hours north of Los Angles​
    5 hours from Reno​
    5-1/2 from Las Vegas​

Last edited:
    Got it. I was trying to remember where these matches were. I have a buddy that wants to try out a match and I thought the only ones close to use was Ridgecrest so I may come up with him to check it out after tags get filled.

Got it. I was trying to remember where these matches were. I have a buddy that wants to try out a match and I thought the only ones close to use was Ridgecrest so I may come up with him to check it out after tags get filled.
    Give the MD an email..

Ridgecrest? Are you talking China Lake Navel Air way out 395?