• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Match load conundrum

BoulderE89

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
St. George, UT
Ive got a reloading conundrum…shooting 2 groups. Green is virgin alpha 6.5 creed brass, red is once fired of the same. Both run the same speed and SD. Would the difference in Shoulder bump or neck tension be the biggest culprit for the change?

IMG_6893.jpeg

Did you only shoot one group each? If yes, I'd shoot a few more.

If it's still the same, then either inconsistent shoulder bump or neck tension could. My guess would be neck tension.

Are you using a mandrel?

Did you only shoot one group each? If yes, I'd shoot a few more.

If it's still the same, then either inconsistent shoulder bump or neck tension could. My guess would be neck tension.

Are you using a mandrel?

No I’ve shot it several times with the same result. Just took one pic. Just using a bushing in the sizing die, no mandrel. The virgin brass has more neck tension than the once fired

Virgin vs fired

You have a difference in component conditions so you’ll need to make up that difference in load development.
Problem I have is I don’t have enough of once fired or virgin to shoot the full match so I’m trying to figure out how I can balance the 2 without resorting to quickly blasting through all the virgin brass and components for the sake of load development

This is only an opinion. I am assuming you are looking at original FLS and FLS with a different die for the 1X. If that is the case I would think that this load is not very forgiving. I would rework the load with 1X fired brass. I tend to think it's a combination of neck tension and load.

Even if you resized the new brass it is likely different from your 1X sizing.

Reactions: BoulderE89
Well, guess I’ll have to crank through the virgin brass and work up a load for it . Appreciate your guys input. Hoping that wasn’t the case but it is what it is