• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match packs

matleez

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2012
Ohio
alright so I've had a couple bags I've used for matches. Currently I use a eberlestock GS2 and it's ok. Not a huge fan of how its just 1 massive compartment. What recommendations do you guys have out there for primarily 2 day matches. Things I typically carry include: ammo, binos, tripod(can be hand carried) 1 to 2 bags, solo sac and game changer, kestrle, note pad & pen, 2 mags, food and water. Thanks guys!

Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack. I've been running one for a little while now and love it, I've basically left my GS2 in a heap since the day I got the MS and loaded it up. Although it's smaller, I can still fit everything I need to for range trips and matches, carries weight better, and overall it's easier to access. I wrote a little ditty about it a while back. It is so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

1600197873845.png

This is my match load out, at least in so far as what I typically take minus a couple clif bars and the actual ammo.

1600197912655.png

I'm still experimenting but on the outside of the pack I had my pillow bag, TAB rear bag, and tripod. I'm going to work out another solution for securing the tripod so I'm not using the compression straps for that.

There are two pockets in the top lid, the very top one holds a little first aid kit and sunscreen. The larger bottom pocket is the dump pouch for my Kestrel, LRF, sharpies, and stuff. Plenty of room still for other incidental items.

1600197944886.png

1600197977237.png

Inside the layout is much like the 3 DAP with a zippered mesh pocket and sleeve pocket on either side of the vertical zipper. There are two pouches along the back, a slit pocket and then a pocket designed for laptops. I have my ear pro, Game Changer, and knee pads in the main compartment, as you can see there's plenty of room left over for other items, not bad for 1650 cu/in pack. While I was packing all this back up, I was able to fit the pillow bag in there with some room to spare at the bottom.

1600198012941.png

I figure the laptop bag will make the perfect place to store spare ammo and mags since it can be accessed from a side zipper as well, which should make topping off mags a breeze.

1600198033952.png

The mesh pockets hold my sling, gloves, Hawk Hill talons, and ADA tripod adapter for the SPR. Right now I'm only using one of the sleeve pockets for my rifle maintenance kit, although I probably won't carry this during matches to be honest.

1600197814268.png

1600197788048.png

I've since made an auxiliary strap that holds the tripod secure instead of the actual compression straps so that way if I need to undo the top one and get in the back the tripod doesn't flop around on me.

Last edited:
Packs are a pain. Way too many to pick from and you never know what you like/hate about each if them until you own them. I'm currently using a Vertx and it's a super nice pack, but I'm suffering from a similar "all in one compartment" issue. I use the laptop sleeve for ammo and a rolled up brass bag, which definitely helps, but I have to unzip and flip open the whole pack to get to most things.

TLDR; Vertx - love the construction, size, weight carrying. So so on the organization.

If you're not having to hike long distances, the eberlestock up ranger is great. Tons of storage and organization plus ways to add more if you want. I take way too much shit to the range and it holds everything. Finally got my "grab one bag" range bag figured out.

It is a pack, and a half way decent one, but the way I've got it loaded I don't use it as a backpack. But, I can back the truck right up to my shooting bench...

If you're not having to hike long distances, the eberlestock up ranger is great. Tons of storage and organization plus ways to add more if you want. I take way too much shit to the range and it holds everything. Finally got my "grab one bag" range bag figured out.

It is a pack, and a half way decent one, but the way I've got it loaded I don't use it as a backpack. But, I can back the truck right up to my shooting bench...
Unfortunately most matches I shoot, ill walk anywhere from 3 to 6 miles

I run the 2DAP from mystery ranch. It works well enough. It doesn't have a very good place to put a larger tripod without it swinging around unless you strap it to the back and take it off every time you open the pack, and it has no good way of transporting a heavy rifle on your back. For long distance walks, I'd like to have a way of throwing my rifle on my back because slings tend to hurt with 15lb guns.

Other than those issues, it works great. Plenty of pockets where you want them, quality construction, very comfortable, and about the perfect size to haul all your necessary gear without tempting you to overload yourself.

Funny memes aside Mystery Ranch or Kifaru are probably going to have some solid options for packs and accessories for what you want to do. I've used ALICE packs, Eberlestock, Camelbak, Eagle Industries, cheap no-name jobs, and MS is my favorite so far.

Malic is my go to HC match bag, i.e mammoth. Its either going to be the 2DAP or im looking at something from hazard4. Same price almost the same volume.

Funny story about a MALICE pack, shortly after I came back from Afghanistan I sold some of my stuff to a local-ish surplus store to get it out of the apartment. Skip ahead six years or so and I'm back in that surplus store perusing their wares and I see a MALICE pack hanging on the wall, brand new with a new frame and straps. To my amazement they had misidentified it and priced it at only $99.95 so I snatched it off the wall. Walking around the store I see a Tactical Tailor 2-piece MAV set up hanging there complete with TT H harness and TT pouches so I check it out and they had misidentified that one too and priced it at only $25. Then another TT MAV caught my eye, a tan one like the one I'd worn, so I go over to it and sure enough it's the one I sold to them years before, it was still there. I bought it and keep it for posterity now. I used the MALICE a couple times but ended up flipping it along with the other chest rig I bought. The good old days of surplus stores.

Reactions: matleez
Mystery Ranch 2 Day Assault Pack. I've been running one for a little while now and love it, I've basically left my GS2 in a heap since the day I got the MS and loaded it up. Although it's smaller, I can still fit everything I need to for range trips and matches, carries weight better, and overall it's easier to access. I wrote a little ditty about it a while back. It is so choice, if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up.

View attachment 7424505

This is my match load out, at least in so far as what I typically take minus a couple clif bars and the actual ammo.

View attachment 7424507

I'm still experimenting but on the outside of the pack I had my pillow bag, TAB rear bag, and tripod. I'm going to work out another solution for securing the tripod so I'm not using the compression straps for that.

There are two pockets in the top lid, the very top one holds a little first aid kit and sunscreen. The larger bottom pocket is the dump pouch for my Kestrel, LRF, sharpies, and stuff. Plenty of room still for other incidental items.

View attachment 7424508

View attachment 7424509

Inside the layout is much like the 3 DAP with a zippered mesh pocket and sleeve pocket on either side of the vertical zipper. There are two pouches along the back, a slit pocket and then a pocket designed for laptops. I have my ear pro, Game Changer, and knee pads in the main compartment, as you can see there's plenty of room left over for other items, not bad for 1650 cu/in pack. While I was packing all this back up, I was able to fit the pillow bag in there with some room to spare at the bottom.

View attachment 7424510
I figure the laptop bag will make the perfect place to store spare ammo and mags since it can be accessed from a side zipper as well, which should make topping off mags a breeze.

View attachment 7424511

The mesh pockets hold my sling, gloves, Hawk Hill talons, and ADA tripod adapter for the SPR. Right now I'm only using one of the sleeve pockets for my rifle maintenance kit, although I probably won't carry this during matches to be honest.

View attachment 7424504

View attachment 7424503

I've since made an auxiliary strap that holds the tripod secure instead of the actual compression straps so that way if I need to undo the top one and get in the back the tripod doesn't flop around on me.
Thanks for the organization ideas and detailed pictures of your match pack. I dig the simplicity. You made me come to the realization that I'm carrying too many unnecessary items in my MR3DA that I should just leave in the truck to have available but no need to lug around in the pack itself.

Thanks for the 2DAP suggestion! I ordered one this week based on this thread. I used it for an NRL-X match today and it was perfect. Just enough room for the important gear, good organization and easy access with the tri-zip.

58057F9A-A54C-42D9-A389-AA14678F9773.jpeg

These are what I use for match packs.
Seriously, my short list would be mystery ranch and kifaru. I have a gs2 and a tt 1-day, I’ve found the larger the pack the more crap you feel like putting in it.

I've gotten to the point where I carry a pretty minimalist set of gear for matches, and everything I need fits comfortably in an Eberlestock Bandit.
AG fat Bag attached to the outside along with an IFAK, 2-cell AICS mag carrier, and admin pouch for ear pro case and tools
5x AW mags (2 on belt, 1 in pocket, 2 on pack)
AG 40/40 ammo carrier
Schmedium GC
RailChangerX
Aluminum tripod table
RifleKuhl, spare rifle parts, batteries, and snivel stuff in the top pouch
1L water bladder in a side pouch
Bipod feet and leg extensions in internal pockets