• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MATCH REPORT: Gunslinger Team Challenge at Sparrowhawk New Zealand 31 May, Jun 1-2 2014

immelmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2012
Australia
MATCH REPORT: Gunslinger Team Challenge at Sparrowhawk New Zealand 31 May, Jun 1-2 2014

In the past I have done quite a bit of Rim-fire metallic silhouette, field rifle and some 3P not far from my home town at the local rifle Range. I had a couple of mentors who were very enthusiastic to nurture a new shooter and these gentlemen helped me slowly develop to a slightly above average level of competence and skill. I am definitely not a natural and don't mind admitting that when I first started I really did suck. I only achieved what skill I developed through lots of practice. I was lucky I chose rim-fire to start with as I couldn't have afforded the same volume of shots with centre-fire. It was also beneficial to learn some fundamentals without heavy recoil and flinch. I definitely grew from exposure to competition and I am competitive by nature.

I then got my first budget hunting rifle and tried my hand at reloading. On reflection my reloading was very elementary and it is little wonder I didn't achieve great results with accuracy. I joined a hunting club and got invited to participate in culling operations where I learnt some outdoors-man skills and game taking lessons in a team environment. I do enjoy 'bush-walking with a gun' and later took some deer and other species through other clubs and invitation on private property.

In the last couple of years I purchased a decent precision rifle and quality reloading gear and decided it was time to get a little bit more serious. I have got my head around reloading, achieved good results and have polished parts of my personal marksmanship shooting F-Class, again with good results. My rifle choice wasn't typical for F-Class but I held my own with a deployable bi-pod and relatively light weight rifle. I do enjoy F-Class for the social and competition elements but shooting 22-23 rounds in 4-5 hours on a square known distance range with flags isn't quite fast paced or dynamic enough for my ever changing competitive nature.

I enquired about non-square range field style shooting at reactive targets in a few different ways and the closest thing in Australia was AIHPA Hard-Core Tactical match on Figure military targets, a different version also run by QMRC. I have heard of underground invitation only competitions on reactive targets on private property in Australia but these are kept very quiet. I felt what I craved was out of reach and not really available.

I was lucky enough to find out about Gunslinger's Precision Long Range Shooting Team Challenge at Sparrowhawk training facility, New Zealand. This promised unknown distance, reactive targets in a undulating field environment from practical possibly abstract shooting positions within time constraints. This sounded exactly what I was after. I contacted the PLRS match director and booked my flights and paid my match fee.

I read past match reports of previous Gunslinger events and tried to develop a game plan for some lead up training. I read adventure race shooting type match reports from different US run and operated events to try and gather an idea of what I was possibly getting myself into. I definitely expected the unexpected.

I devised mini competitions for myself at the local up-to 500m metallic silhouette gong range. Here I could put myself through a bit of time pressured supported and unsupported shooting to gauge where I was at and determine my weaknesses. I called for training partners and had a little bit of interest and help from people who lived close by to the range. I also had opportunity to shoot on private property which was of most benefit, especially at extended ranges. QMRC matches also helped with a bit of competition pressure.

The requirements of taking a sporting rifle and match gear out of Australia and to bring it all back seemed overwhelming at first. But after some investigation and research including hurrying-up of the local firearms government department in processing my forms I was all set. Gunslinger provided good guidance on this.
Getting a rifle and gear into and out of New Zealand is very easy.

I arrived to a comparably cold New Zealand and drove the 2.5hrs South west from Christchurch on the South Island to Gunslinger's accommodation only a kilometre from the competition venue. I was welcomed to a warm wood fire heated large house with double beds, two large kitchens with two bathrooms. The accommodation was very comfortable with large couches, dining tables and plenty of space. Catering was taken care of by excellent staff and it was very nice to come in before during and after the match from the cold to large self serve already cooked hot meals next to the wood fire. We were very well looked after and my stay was very comfortable indeed. Accommodation was very cheap and meals were included in the match fee.

The weather during Gunslinger's Team Challenge was excellent. We had bright and sunny days with very little wind, no rain or snow. I was dressed appropriately for the cold and really only got cold (as a Gold-Coast Australian) if I was stationary for any length of time. Shooting conditions were very good and some stages could still be accomplished if inclement weather were to be encountered.

The format for Precision shooter (generally bolt-gun) and team mate Operator (mainly gas-gun semi-automatic) was to shoot, navigate and help each-other accumulate points for a team score ranking against other teams.

The setting was abrupt rolling hills and valleys with natural streams, exposed rock and absolutely stunning scenery. For the second day the teams navigated there own way as they saw fit around the course, sometimes bypassing a shooting station if another team was already there. There were some steep inclines encountered. Different targets were to be shot by the Operator and Precision Shooter. This flexibility meant a team could choose there own strategy to make sure they shot every stage before end of allocated time for the days shooting. Some teams had to run to make up time and distance before end of play! All gear was to be carried by the shooters by foot, cross-country.

Different types of shooting encountered on day one and two (unknown distance):

High angle shooting on command
Long range (2000m, 1 mile, 1000m) for qualification
Cross valley, up and downhill multiple surfaces
Unknown distance, manual ranging shooting on command short time frame
Know your limits
Decreasing point values
Semi-auto jungle lane shooting for Precision shooters and operators
Different scoring zones
Random order, rapid re-alignment, on command shooting
Night shooting at distance, supported and unsupported. No white light near the firing position.

Reactive targets: E-Type, 28in popper, 42in pepper popper, ground hogs, 15in rounds, 8in rounds, 12in squares, ½ sized IPSC, Deer, Coyote, IPSC, embedded 28in tall poppers, card suits, counter sniper gongs

Lots of rain in the proceeding days meant that there was some slippery footing and sometimes bullet impact splash was hard to see. A real team effort was required to call shots and help team members get on target. Different lighting conditions through the day meant some targets were easier to find and spot depending on where the sun was. Teams needed to balance time spent trying to find targets relative to time available and points value. Personally, I had a hard time trying to spot some targets and the efficiency of team dialogue was very important. We didn't dawdle too much and only finished with a few minutes to spare.

On one stage I was lucky to get the first four of five targets on a E-Type reactive torso target at over 1000m at 10 degrees slope with my .308WIN which meant I got a 1000m Qualification badge during the presentations. I also shot a spider web by mistaken identity in the camouflaged counter sniper stage! Again, many lessons were learnt from this awesome event.

My operator did a good job and we worked well together. Another team travelled with us and our combined teams effort was very rewarding. This definitely was a Team Challenge and the calibre of competitors was very high.

I stayed on to help pack up the targetry and got an appreciation for the logistics involved setting the whole competition up. The event was very well run and the match staff were very friendly and professional. I was given good advice on how to get the paperwork sorted out, was very well looked after, had a great shoot and it was a very memorable experience. I had finally found the type of shooting I really wanted to do. I met some excellent people and had a great time.

Special thanks to Glen, Andy and Davin for the lead up training. Shane for all the help getting to Gunslinger and putting on a awesome match, the Range officers Phil, Darryn, Stu, Lake and Bruce for their efforts. Thank-you Matt for the coaching. Also thanks Stu and Craig for their excellent teamwork. Phil put on a familiarisation shoot and took me fishing which was awesome. Darryn took me hunting which was great. The catering staff Wendy and Sue, thank-you very much for the hospitality.

I was keen to write the invaluable lessons down after reflection into a notebook which will put me in better stead for next year. I would definitely encourage local New Zealand, Australian and International competitors to this awesome event.

A link from footage taken by Replay XD 1080P attached to my scope during the match:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fidV3oYDCzI

Match Report: 31 May & 1 - 2 June 2014, Albury Gunslinger website:
Match Report

Match details:
COF

Some Match photos:
Gallery

Gunslinger PLRS Qualification Programme
Qualification

I will be back.

Greg

Top effort mate, looks like some great scenery too. Definitely need to catch up for a beer to hear more about it....and tee up some more shoots here too

Cheers

Andy

Congratulations Greg,

You blokes went alright by the look of the match report. I'm a little envious as I'd love to swing a leave pass away from the wife and kids to have a bash at a comp like that.

Cheers

Thanks for the write up. if I have a new rifle built in time, I hope to make it to next years event. A couple of questions, was it mostly ranging with your scope, or did people use laser? Also, is it a lost brass type of setup, or do you have a chance to recover your brass, fo those whole like to reload?

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the AAR. Very informative.

Do the locals have semi's for hire for the spotter in the pair ? I've got more gas gun experience than most so will probably end up being the spotter. Time to dig out that old Elcan from the trunk.

My arm surgery has been done and it will be a bit of a journey back but let's try to get a group over there next year. I'll circulate it amongst the locals down south and see if we can get some idea of numbers. Can you do the same for the guys up your way ?

Whattayareckon ?

Last edited:
Man that looks like a pretty sweet shoot and all round awesome trip.

The video that you took was very good as well, do they have an external mike ? The sound pick up is better than I expected.
Might have to pick one up.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the video and write up your match report.

Kakumba
- it was roughly about 100 rounds for the competition for the Precision Shooter. More for the Operator / semi-auto team member. There is opportunity to re-shoot some stages on the bad weather day set aside. I took 200 rounds (just over Jetstar / Qantas's 5 kg limit).
You will probably do more shooting than just in the competition - no i won't expand on that but it is awesome.
One stage was dedicated manual reticle or spotting scope / binocular ranging. It was fast paced and I used a mildot master slide rule (excellent) instead of a longhand mathematical approach. Whatever works for you. The rest of competition was unknown distance but you could use a Laser Range Finder. I need to invest in a decent unit perhaps integrated into binoculars. I was borrowing 'lased' ranges from a team mate. This is very much a field type shoot.
Generally you will have a chance to pick up your brass from the firing point before moving on. However you may be in complete darkness!
For the operator's (generally semi-auto) some stages involved firing and moving so you will need to retrace your steps to recover brass. I used my older (6 times reloaded brass) for the competition just in case I lost some, but I only didn't pick up one case over the whole event

AIAWinAU
- There was available a 5-shot AR type rifle supplied by Gun City which is legal for overseas competitors (say Australia A and B Firearms License holders) to use, in the competition controlled environment. If you are appropriately licensed for your own particular (say semi-auto) gun, bring whatever you like. Precision shooters will shoot a common semi-auto gun as part of the competition.
I will help spread the word to get a group of Aussies over - it is fantastic and we have nothing of the sort available in Australia.

dbateman
- The Camera is a Replay XD 1080P, which I normally strap to my helmet when doing warp speed at track days on my bike or on the drift car somewhere. I have put a piece of tape over the mic to cut out wind noise from high speed. I used a high mount 30mm ring with picatinny on it, then attached a second 30mm ring to the camera.
I am considering the ERA-TAC 56mm objective ring mount
Replay XD1080 HD Video Camera is the Best Action Camera.
Klemmring mit Universalschnittstelle Ø 56mm Objektiv - MSB tactics Shop
http://gunshopschweiz.ch/data/ERATactica.pdf

Last edited: