• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Match rifle

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
So I'm planning to build myself a match rifle.

Living in Norway, I cant really just order a rifle from GAP, so I'm pretty set on building it myself.

I am planning on using a remington 700 short action and a factory barrel in the beginning.
I reload myself, but I would like to be able to buy factory match ammo if i ever travel to the us to shoot a competition.
I was planning on dropping it into a Mcmillan A5 stock
Buy a FFP scope, vortex Razor hd, S&B, or.....

When it came to rifles, I was looking into the Remington 700 Varmint in .243.
Was planning on chopping the barrel down to 24''
The only problem I find at this time is that it has a 1/9,125 twist and probably wont shoot 115gr DTAC. which I belive is the best bullet.
Looking at 6mmbr.com Gardner was shooting a rifle with 115gr DTAC at 3150fps.
That is way higher than anything vihtavouri says, they only go up to 105gr and max is 2933fps.

I am planning on getting it rebarreled as soon as its shot out.

Does anyone know if I have misunderstood something?

I already have several 700s in .308 and .338.

I cant seem to find any good factory remington rifles in .260.

You will most likely need a 1/7.5 to stabilize the 115's. I have heard of people being able to do it with a 1/8 but if I were building a rifle to shoot the 115's I would go with a 1/7.5.

Yes, that what I was suspecting.
My only problem is that I have to start out with a factory rifle that is being delivered here in norway so I'm stuck with the factory twist rate in the beginning.
I'm probably stuck shooting 105gr with the .500bc in the beginning.
Is it possible to drive the 115/105gr that fast?

In my experience and that was only a couple 243's with a 1/9 twist the best I could get was a 87 Vmax. They would not stabilize a 105. There again I have heard of guys running a 105 in a 1/9 it just didnt work for me.

There are lot's of great 105's that aren't ballistically second fiddle to the dtac's. They stabilize fine in the factory Remington twist here in Montana. I'd shoot one of them and not worry about the 115's.

Thats great to hear;-)
Should i keep the 26" barrel or will it be problematic to stabilize with a 24" barrel?
I was planning on running a can on it.
My second option would be a tikka t3 supervarmint in .260 or 6,5x55 but i have heard some different opinions on the mags.
It has less afthermarket gear and is harder to get info on.

Last edited:
I'm just a bit skeptical since I have a lot of experience with remington and none with tikka.
Does anyone have any experience with tikka magazines?

The tikka magazines seem to work fine in my experience, the one issue is they often throat their chambers so you can't reach the lands inside magazine confines.

There are also several options to run AICS mags on tikka's now...

maybe the tikka is not that bad an idea, but I thought all tikka T3 where build on a long action no matter which caliber.
If thats the case, maybe I should go for the 6,5x55 instead and run original mags.
6,5x55 match ammunition is really easy to get in norway, but I cant seem to find any in the US.

How come I rearly se any DTA SRS in a tactical match?
Seems like it would be easy to change between calibers, get new barrels when you have shot out the last one, lightweight and compact.
Is it due to it not being reliable?
Hard to work the bolt?

Freezingduck, please look at David Tubbs 6XC on 6mmbr site. He gets good velocity with 4350 powder and one could ask if he has tried vihtavouri in the 6XC. A good friend that worked for a major US cartridge manufacturer warned me about super high velocity in the 243 WIN. He said that their testing showed the 243 pressure curve tended to produce a verticle spike. Another comment I remember was that the only way they would load partitioned or solid copper bullets was to moly coat them to help reduce pressure. tubbs gives some advice on what he watches for in pressure signs in the article on the 6XC. I met George Tubbs at Camp Perry during our National rifle Championship, I thought he was a true Texas gentleman. I do not no David, but if he turned out like his father George I am sure he would be of help to you. I am an over-the-hill M14 shooter. If I were shooting a match rifle I would most likely use a 6XC. Dan