• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Matched Bolt w/ Barrel for AR 15?

rommel500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
SLO,CA
I have been looking at having Krieger make my a barrel but I wasn't clear what to do for the bolt. I see companies like Noveske and Shilen offer bolts with their AR barrels. Are these bolts really machine to match that barrel or are they made to spec and just fit within that spec?

I have been searching and haven't found anything concrete on how bolts are matched to barrels on AR 15s. Can I just buy a complete BCG, check headspace and if its in within spec go on my way? But if its new shouldn't it always headspace if you are buying quality components?

If you buy a factory BCG how can you tighten it up to fit better to the barrel if its out of spec?

Re: Matched Bolt w/ Barrel for AR 15?

IIRC, its the bolt they used to set the headspace when chambering the barrel. That way, they can set it to the minimum, and in theory you will get more life out of it before the barrel is considered 'shot out'. This is the subject of much debate, but thats the theory.

I've always replaced the bolt when I replace the barrel, I figure I'm spending $400+ on a new barrel, why use an old bolt that may fail before the barrel's done? Old bolt goes into the spares bin, or get used in plinkers.

It depends.

With some you are getting a bolt they pulled out of a box and confirmed will headspace with that barrel.

Others may actually use the bolt to chamber the barrel.

You could send them send a bolt to use for chambering or have them supply a new bolt to use with that barrel. That is the best way to get the proper head spacing.

I think the companies that actually chamber to the headspace of a particular bolt will tell you this because it costs a little bit more to do this. I know that Shilen does this.