• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Material for a oven

josephberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
N Georgia
Making a gun oven. Anyone ever tried using fire rated sheetrock for a liner? Also I've seen that some guys put fans in their ovens, why?

Re: Material for a oven

I bought a locker and use high temp insulation on the outside. I gutted an oven and no fan is needed. Works awesome and was only around 200.

oven.jpg

DSCN1056.jpg

heres a few pics

The problem with sheetrock and firebrick and the like is that they absorb rather than reflect radiant heat. I'm currently waiting for the time to put together an oven based on a Stack-On gun cabinet that is going to use hardyboard on stand-offs to create an air gap with the metal outer shell, then fiberglass sandwiched between the hardyboard and a sheetmetal inner liner to keep the heat inside the oven chamber.

People install fans to circulate the air and prevent "hotspots", similar to the way a convection oven works. This may also speed up cooking.

6" dryer vent pipe with a cap works pretty good. Cooked about a dozen guns w/ no ill effects.

Cheers,

Doc

I used the Firewall (Fire rated sheetrock) in the oven we built here. It works great, though if I had to do it over again, I would use the foil-backed insulation stuff. Definitely lighter, as well as has more 'R' value. After a few hours, the oven here gets kinda warm.

Lotsa learning going on. I had made a thread about it, when it was being made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 2 500w halogen lamps. No fans no drama. I have 3 thermometers in mine. All read within 10F. I used foil lined foam.

So far so good.

C. </div></div>

Same here. R-max insulation....foil in, bounces light like mad.

Watch out for the foam insulation. At some high temperature, it give off toxic gases, and can burn. There is a rigid foil/1" fiberglass board that HVAC guys use to make insulated ducts. Sold in 5'/10' sheets, as I remember. Much safer.

Sheet rock will also give off water vapor when heated so thats something to take into account. Thats one of the reasons its used in "fireproof" safes. Its not such a big deal if you put it on the outside of the oven but not a good idea for the inside.
Fiberglass insulation is really best as it can take the heat if things get out of hand and not give off toxic fumes or smoke.
We used to build ovens for baking composite parts using layers of various materials. First layer was foil backed fiberglass insulation, next was foil backed urethane foam and next was a layer of extruded polystyrene foam. We ran anywhere from 100 deg to 400 deg F and had very good results. Bathroom heaters were used but back then they didn't have overtemp shutoffs....might be a problem now. The locker posted here is a very good way of doing things.

Frank

There is no reason for me to go over 250* and r-max says that is in its working range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheet rock will also give off water vapor when heated so thats something to take into account. Thats one of the reasons its used in "fireproof" safes. Its not such a big deal if you put it on the outside of the oven but not a good idea for the inside.
Fiberglass insulation is really best as it can take the heat if things get out of hand and not give off toxic fumes or smoke.
We used to build ovens for baking composite parts using layers of various materials. First layer was foil backed fiberglass insulation, next was foil backed urethane foam and next was a layer of extruded polystyrene foam. We ran anywhere from 100 deg to 400 deg F and had very good results. Bathroom heaters were used but back then they didn't have overtemp shutoffs....might be a problem now. The locker posted here is a very good way of doing things.

Frank
</div></div>

Ditto on the water vapor concerns.Sheetrock is really a fire block.

Other insulation possibilities are rock wool, fire bricks, air gaps.

I have an old electric smoker that I use. It will go from 100-250 degrees. So far I have had good luck with it and you can find some used ones for around a hundred bucks. Works great for pistols and you can get most rifles in the one I have.

I wouldn't use bulbs, temp on the surface depends on the colour that it is. Matt black...hot as hell.
A Fan is a must. I also use the coil stove heaters, but use two inline and therefore have reduced heat, don't like glowing objects and paint thinners. Oven just takes a bit longer to get to temp. I also have a venturi suction system on my oven to to run lower than room pressure and remove fumes from oven to the outside via pipe. Keeps the smell away.
Then again my oven runs all day, almost every day.
edi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattr25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old electric smoker that I use. It will go from 100-250 degrees. So far I have had good luck with it and you can find some used ones for around a hundred bucks. Works great for pistols and you can get most rifles in the one I have. </div></div>I read this whole thread feeling good about myself, until I read this post.
Why didn't I think of that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattr25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old electric smoker that I use. It will go from 100-250 degrees. So far I have had good luck with it and you can find some used ones for around a hundred bucks. Works great for pistols and you can get most rifles in the one I have. </div></div>I read this whole thread feeling good about myself, until I read this post.
Why didn't I think of that?</div></div>

I looked at a lot of smokers and it's not easy to find one that's large enough for a 24"+ barreled action, and what I did find was expensive enough to justify building a proper oven. If you happen to have an unused one kicking around then great, but I wouldn't consider buying a new one for the purpose the best solution.

I hope you move the locker over to another part of your shot before you use it. all i see are flamible containers around it in the pictures.

Great idea, I will have to try to make one as well.
thanks for the post

I use a basic tank sold by Brownells for a bluing setup. I added a strip of 1" angle along both long sides about 3/4" from the top edge as a support for parts hanging on cross rods. A top was made in a local sheet metal shop. A small hole allows a thermometer to go in. In use I add about 1 1/2" of clean sand to the bottom. The sand acts as a heat sink. The tank is heated over a long gas burner. The nice thing is that I can generally do at least 2 guns at a time. The large parts like the barreled action are done first. All the small parts can then hang around them wherever they will fit. I hang the parts while it is cool and then fire it up. The sand really keeps the heat even throughout. I think the horizontal layout aidthine even heat distribution as well. When I have cooked for the required time, I remove the lid to aid in cooling. This is the best home made rig I have used. Easy to store, too.