• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Material for camouflage

Arnthugo

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Hi
I wondered about someone knew about a store which sells burlap/jute, Netting 3/4" Cord. Camo sticks etc. I was thinking of making me a ghille suit for the hunting for goose later. For safety reasons its not possible to use rifle, and last season I didnt get in reach with the shotgun. And of course if i should try bowhunting when i can attford a visit to US.

I do also need some other safety equipment if something should go wrong, just in case. Reason why i asks is because its not common here with such things yet.
But Notice, i need someone that does international deals, im living in Norway.

Thanks,
greetings Arnthugo

Re: Material for camouflage

Between the craft, deco, men's wear, and sporting goods departments at Wallyworld, you should be able to find burlap cloth, some baggy Dickie's work shirt/pants/flophat, a fishing net, and 550 cord. They sell silicone seal and shoe goo, velcro, and sewing supplies, too. The deco department has some mighty realistic artificial foliage, too. Sporting goods has camo face makeup, too.

Maybe not quite up to USMC Sniper School standards, but the Bambi's don't take notes.

Sorry you couldnt like me their webshop page?
By the way, i found http://www.majorsurplus.com and was very satifised with what they got, but i havent got answer on any mails yet, first one did i send for around 2 weeks ago, too bad that they should fail on the service.

I really just need the burlap, canvas and the nett, for the camouflage really, the rest have i planned to buy with Cabelas, but its few things they dont got as the camo paintsticks... The rest is just few things that had been nice to have, zippo lighter etc. but possible to live without.

Oh, i do really need fire retardant too, i dont want to be a ticking firebomb!

Well' that may be a good reason to be rethinking the ghillie altogether.

Absorbant materials can be soaked in a strong solution of sodium bicarbonate to aid in retarding fire, but basically, a ghillie is what it is, and fire hazard will always be somewhat of an issue.

A compromise might be a hood/cape approach, which might be cast aside quickly if needed.

Personally, I've always thought the ghillie was major overkill for hunting. They can be noisy and difficult to move around with in thicker foliage.

Something a bit less extensive, and careful attention to odor suppression and washing camo materials with UV suppressant laudry detergents might be as effective as a ghllie.

Camo face paint kits are often only available as hunting season approaches.

Greg

Well my plan was to make a one the typical sniper type, and one more alike a poncho for the bowhunting. And yes im aware of that you reminds me of washing... I will probably never was it, but dry wash it instead. Got the most i need from the documentary art of camouflage 1 and 2=) Without of the materials of course.
Mostly the only thing i need help with to find a dealer which got all that i need, and are willing to sell to me in Norway. Burlap and such use of camouflage isnt so much used here yet because we dont need to get so close the the game usally because its illegal to hunt with a bow, only traps and powderweapon. And i dont need to tell you how long range u can shoot a game with a rifle=P

A ghillie is not an aid, but more a hinderance when it comes to bowhunting. It isn't so much poor camo, but rather movement that gets you caught when it comes to hunting. The catch 22 is that it requires quite a bit of movement to draw the bow back and this makes it a bit tougher to get it done, but that only adds to the overall experience.

Yes thats true. Time will show, at least it will work when im going with the gun... If it goes with the bow its just a bonus=)

When it comes to washing a Ghillie, we use to just take ours to a car wash, lay it out and spray it with the pressure washer..... Then hang it outside to dry for few days... When it comes to camo for hunting it is kind of overkill, because all the suit does is break up the human outline.. The camo comes from weaving in natural vegation that matches your surroundings... DEFINATELY DON"T SMOKE WHEN WEARING IT!!!

Just some thoughts/info for you

J

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A ghillie is not an aid, but more a hinderance when it comes to bowhunting. </div></div>

Thats why robin hood wore tights!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A ghillie is not an aid, but more a hinderance when it comes to bowhunting. It isn't so much poor camo, but rather movement that gets you caught when it comes to hunting. The catch 22 is that it requires quite a bit of movement to draw the bow back and this makes it a bit tougher to get it done, but that only adds to the overall experience. </div></div>

AR is right, military-styled ghillies are too much for bowhunting. 3-D commercial suits are a better way to go in that situation. If you are going to use a full ghillie for bowhunting, be sure to clear your draw side so that you don't have any interferance during draw/release...