• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Matrix AeroSpace AR10 build looking for recommended barrel for 6.5 Creedmoor

jgs8163

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Southern AZ
Any advice on where to look for a barrel would be greatly appreciated. I have been considering the JP. The Matrix Aero upper is based on the Armalite type A. Thanks for the help. I am new here and this is my first AR10 build.

I am surprised no one has chimed in on this yet. I was looking at doing the same build. That or a 260, as far as barrel I was leaning to JP too, but I have always been a fan of lilja. Waiting to see what everyone else says.

I am assuming you want a drop in barrel?

I am surprised no one has chimed in on this yet. I was looking at doing the same build. That or a 260, as far as barrel I was leaning to JP too, but I have always been a fan of lilja. Waiting to see what everyone else says.

Correct sir. Drop in...screw on barrel nut, bolt on gas block, brake and pin to lower head space...load ammo and shoot. :)

Aside from a very, VERY limited run of Noveske N6 barrels that were released in 6.5 Creedmoor a while back, I am not aware of ANY regular production barrels for the Armalite-pattern rifle platform. The Noveske's didn't last long and the couple I've seen pop up have commanded ABSURD prices (so absurd you could source any number of complete custom barrels for less than the Noveske and pay for your bolt to boot). There are companies working to remedy that issue, including but not limited to Rainier Arms who will, supposedly, be offering a 6.5CM Armalite-pattern barrel in their UltraMatch lineup, but who the hell knows when (even IF) that might actually come to pass.

If you want a dedicated 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, setup from the get-go to run in an Armalite-pattern rifle, then at this point you are looking at having to have one made OR getting a DPMS-pattern barrel and running a DPMS-pattern COMPLETE BCG with it. They will bolt right onto an Armalite-pattern rifle without modification, but you MUST use both a DPMS-pattern barrel AND BCG...DO NOT MIX/MATCH COMPONENTS FROM ARMALITE AND DPMS TOGETHER!! I personally advise AGAINST doing the DPMS-pattern route at this time simply because of the larger 0.080" firing pin of the DPMS-platform which can cause problems with primer piercing/cratering on cartridges like the .260 and 6.5CM, especially with hotter/heavier loads. The smaller 0.068" firing pin of the Armalite-platform has proven FAR less susceptible to the problem. There are solutions in the works for the DPMS-pattern;s larger FP at this time, but nothing available now and it could be a ways off yet.

Check with Paul Craddock at Craddock Precision and see if he has stepped into the 6.5CM realm yet. I have several barrels from Paul (and know others that have them as well) and they are first-rate, match-quality tubes from some of the best barrel blank mfgs in the country. Paul has been doing AR-15 and large-frame AR barrels for a while out on his own now, but worked for the great folks at WOA prior to that. His work is top notch and his turnaround times are some of the best in the industry for complete custom tubes. The longest I have waited for any barrel from Paul was just shy of 7 weeks from order day to delivery. Give him a shout by e-mail and see if he can do Creedmoor tubes at this time or if he's sticking to .308 ONLY for the large-frame platforms. His website stinks, but his work will speak for itself! See here: Wix.com craddockprecision created by pa4444 based on pro-bistro

The other place to check, and its possible that they'll have some Armalite pattern tubes available in VERY short order, is Accuracy Systems. See here: Custom AR10 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing AR 10

Good luck!

Thanks Ord! It is much easier to find DPMS style barrels and BCGs. I was almost temped to go with the DPMS style.

There is some good info here but. The difference between an Armalite and DPMS pattern barrel is the length of the gas system and due to that the location of gas port. While true you shouldn't mix and match bolts and carriers. There is no issue running a complete Armalite BCG with DPMS patterned barrel and for the 6.5 its better due to smaller fp diameter and spring loaded pin. The extensions have the same Lug geometry so they will work just fine. Get a JP barrel and use an Armalite carrier and you will be good to go. If you look at JP's site they even say their DPMS style BCG and Bolts work just fine on Armalite and RockRiver guns as long as you use the complete carrier . Just check the head space first.

Aside from a very, VERY limited run of Noveske N6 barrels that were released in 6.5 Creedmoor a while back, I am not aware of ANY regular production barrels for the Armalite-pattern rifle platform. The Noveske's didn't last long and the couple I've seen pop up have commanded ABSURD prices (so absurd you could source any number of complete custom barrels for less than the Noveske and pay for your bolt to boot). There are companies working to remedy that issue, including but not limited to Rainier Arms who will, supposedly, be offering a 6.5CM Armalite-pattern barrel in their UltraMatch lineup, but who the hell knows when (even IF) that might actually come to pass.

If you want a dedicated 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, setup from the get-go to run in an Armalite-pattern rifle, then at this point you are looking at having to have one made OR getting a DPMS-pattern barrel and running a DPMS-pattern COMPLETE BCG with it. They will bolt right onto an Armalite-pattern rifle without modification, but you MUST use both a DPMS-pattern barrel AND BCG...DO NOT MIX/MATCH COMPONENTS FROM ARMALITE AND DPMS TOGETHER!! I personally advise AGAINST doing the DPMS-pattern route at this time simply because of the larger 0.080" firing pin of the DPMS-platform which can cause problems with primer piercing/cratering on cartridges like the .260 and 6.5CM, especially with hotter/heavier loads. The smaller 0.068" firing pin of the Armalite-platform has proven FAR less susceptible to the problem. There are solutions in the works for the DPMS-pattern;s larger FP at this time, but nothing available now and it could be a ways off yet.

Check with Paul Craddock at Craddock Precision and see if he has stepped into the 6.5CM realm yet. I have several barrels from Paul (and know others that have them as well) and they are first-rate, match-quality tubes from some of the best barrel blank mfgs in the country. Paul has been doing AR-15 and large-frame AR barrels for a while out on his own now, but worked for the great folks at WOA prior to that. His work is top notch and his turnaround times are some of the best in the industry for complete custom tubes. The longest I have waited for any barrel from Paul was just shy of 7 weeks from order day to delivery. Give him a shout by e-mail and see if he can do Creedmoor tubes at this time or if he's sticking to .308 ONLY for the large-frame platforms. His website stinks, but his work will speak for itself! See here: Wix.com craddockprecision created by pa4444 based on pro-bistro

The other place to check, and its possible that they'll have some Armalite pattern tubes available in VERY short order, is Accuracy Systems. See here: Custom AR10 Rifles Accuracy Systems Gunsmith Gunsmithing AR 10

Good luck!

Last edited:
So I spoke with both Paul from Craddock and JP rifles today. Paul only has 223 and 308s in hand, but is willing to finish any blank you provide with about a month turn around. JP on the other hand can make both 260 and 6.5CM but their lead time is 8-18 weeks.
JP barrel with a bolt is 650
Barrel blanks range from 175 for a shilen match grade to 340 for a bartlein so depending on the cost to finish a barrel....(help, how much would this typically cost) perhaps saving some money...but this all depends on the smith.

this brings the main question of why Kult asked if I wanted a drop in.

The other thing I learned from JP is that they are releasing a new bolt specifically for the 308 and calling it the HP (high pressure) it will have a 5.56 sized firing pin, and eliminate the primer issues associated with the 6.5 and 260.

So I spoke with both Paul from Craddock and JP rifles today. Paul only has 223 and 308s in hand, but is willing to finish any blank you provide with about a month turn around. JP on the other hand can make both 260 and 6.5CM but their lead time is 8-18 weeks.
JP barrel with a bolt is 650
Barrel blanks range from 175 for a shilen match grade to 340 for a bartlein so depending on the cost to finish a barrel....(help, how much would this typically cost) perhaps saving some money...but this all depends on the smith.

this brings the main question of why Kult asked if I wanted a drop in.

The other thing I learned from JP is that they are releasing a new bolt specifically for the 308 and calling it the HP (high pressure) it will have a 5.56 sized firing pin, and eliminate the primer issues associated with the 6.5 and 260.
Did you ask them when said bolt would be available???

they said it would be out monday...I did not delve into the specifics of when...available for order/or ready to ship out. Sorry