• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mattress opinions

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Been going through a tough stretch the last 6 months dating from back surgery in '88. I was shocked to come to the realization my mattress is 19 years old after some Q & A with neurosurgeon and PT. Yikes. Apparently mattress tech has come a long way and as I read up on them it's amazing.

Just got back from trying to go into the mattress joint in my hood and there were so many people I would have had to spend the entire day there just to get on one. Not a good store shopper it's one of my pitfalls hate it. Pulled the plug and went for a swim.

Anyone do one of these mattress in a box options? Any good? I don't mind paying for a quality mattress and quite frankly I'm not sure what I need exactly. My PT has me set up as a side sleeper now and it's helped a ton, but since then I get sore on my hips. She said that is not uncommon being skinny and that I might favor a softer mattress. Ordered up a TempurPedic 3" medium mattress topper to just try it out b/f dropping big coin on a new bed.

Thanks for any experiences on new designs, mattress in a box etc. What worked, what didn't, brands etc. Thanks BP

Just get a tempurpedic mattress. The topper isn't the same. I have to sleep on my side with a pillow between my knees due to back injury and 3 surgeries. (Disc replacement). Tempurpedic is the best by far. Had mine for 13 years now and will be getting a new one soon but it's still great. MAKE SURE AND GET A GOOS COVER TO PUT OVER IT THAT IS WATERPROOF AND DUST PROOF.

I'm the same with knee/pillow. Had discectomy already, but neuro doesn't really want to do it again and he's more concerned about fusion. Ugh.

Did you find a softer mattress worked better for side sleeping? Medium? My current mattress is firm and I'm skinny not real comfortable. Thanks for chiming in.

I'm the same with knee/pillow. Had discectomy already, but neuro doesn't really want to do it again and he's more concerned about fusion. Ugh.

Did you find a softer mattress worked better for side sleeping? Medium? My current mattress is firm and I'm skinny not real comfortable. Thanks for chiming in.

I'm fairly thin too so I get it. I don't know if there was a "option for firmness" with mine when we got it. They are pretty firm initially but once you sit or lay on them for a few seconds they get a lot softer and form to you. I wouldn't think hard would be good but soft often times with seats and stuff end up hurting after a while so I'd probably go medium if I had the choice. I would go lay on one for like 15 min or more if at all possible. This is one of those things that it's seriously worth putting in the time to get right. I highly doubt you will be anything but thrilled with a tempurpedic though, no matter what.

Only issue I have with Tempurpedic or any of those mattresses is that they get hot as crap. Even the ones that supposedly have cooling tech. I can also tell you it’s hard to figure out the firmness. I’ve been through a number of them trying to figure out what works best. I prefer more form whereas the wife likes soft. If I don’t have firm my back is all kinds of messed up the next morning.

Also which model Temp did you get please?
    They didn't have all these options when I gor mine. I just looked at the mattress since we have our sheets off washing them right now. (2 year old puked in our bed at about 3 am this morning). There isn't any info on the tag or anything. They've come a long way in the last 13 years with them I'm sure and I still love ours. Best thing I've ever bought

Only issue I have with Tempurpedic or any of those mattresses is that they get hot as crap. Even the ones that supposedly have cooling tech. I can also tell you it’s hard to figure out the firmness. I’ve been through a number of them trying to figure out what works best. I prefer more form whereas the wife likes soft. If I don’t have firm my back is all kinds of messed up the next morning.

They do get a little hot. I set the thermostat low at night so that takes care of it. My wife uses a blanket and I only use the thin sheet because I get hot anyway. I would think the cooling tech stuff they have now at least helps and that's one thing I look forward to in a new one

Ok thanks this is great. I guess I'll head down do the Temp store this week and give it a whirl.

They do get a little hot. I set the thermostat low at night so that takes care of it. My wife uses a blanket and I only use the thin sheet because I get hot anyway. I would think the cooling tech stuff they have now at least helps and that's one thing I look forward to in a new one
    Even with just a sheet and the AC on 65 at night I’m usually sweating. On the other hand, it’s nice in the winter. It just sucks in summer time.

I’ve had back problems for almost 30 years after herniating/crushing two disks in my lower back on a tower job at Offut AFB. About 5 years ago my wife bought us a new ($$$) bed/mattress/box spring. My back problems have really improved. Prior to this if I sat up in bed wrong I might not be able to stand up straight for days.
    1F392DD0-CBAA-43DD-91DA-1FC2E0E49F9B.jpeg

I use a generic memory foam, Quite comfortable.

If you can find a place that still sells them you might try a baffled waterbed. Set up properly they can be quite relaxing.

I have back, shoulder and neck injuries and surgeries to repair them. We had a black label Beauty Rest or a Serta for about 17 years, this time bought one that is also a premium mattress, her side is some softer than mine, it was sold as a Dr Angie from Bob Mills. Again a premium mattress, about $8,000 for the set. It takes about 30-45 days for you to get used to it and for it to "get broke in". Premium mattresses will always seem too firm at first. I use a knee pillow from a bed, bath store that is shaped like a heart. It is some sort of memory foam. I pack it when I travel as a pillow between the knees just isn't the same. Also bought a pillow that I slept on in a motel, the tag had a website, I think it was "I want this pillow. com

Two hemilaminectomies- been through several mattresses…..I’m back on a Costco-purchased Tempurpedic - the firmest one they sell and it’s f’ing awesome. Costco has a great return policy too.
    Just my $.02

Reactions: oneshot86
    I have back, shoulder and neck injuries and surgeries to repair them. We had a black label Beauty Rest or a Serta for about 17 years, this time bought one that is also a premium mattress, her side is some softer than mine, it was sold as a Dr Angie from Bob Mills. Again a premium mattress, about $8,000 for the set. It takes about 30-45 days for you to get used to it and for it to "get broke in". Premium mattresses will always seem too firm at first. I use a knee pillow from a bed, bath store that is shaped like a heart. It is some sort of memory foam. I pack it when I travel as a pillow between the knees just isn't the same. Also bought a pillow that I slept on in a motel, the tag had a website, I think it was "I want this pillow. com
    All of our mattresses (and most upholstered furniture) got thrown away from the fire/smoke damage...so we'll be getting all new beds for everyone. A new Black Label for me, yes please.

I had L5-S1 surgery and suffer with trochanteric bursitis being a side sleeper. Temperpedic mattresses are the only way I can still function.

If you go with Temperpedic and need a Queen sized, consider getting a Queen split base. That will provide the added benefit of support down the center.

Just a few thoughts.

Andrew

Been going through a tough stretch the last 6 months dating from back surgery in '88. I was shocked to come to the realization my mattress is 19 years old after some Q & A with neurosurgeon and PT. Yikes. Apparently mattress tech has come a long way and as I read up on them it's amazing.
    Not your question but I am going to throw this out there. I have a missing disk from a climbing accident, as well as other damage from 25 years as a carpenter/ builder until 2002. I have endured pain for over 30 years that would make a “billy goat puke”. In that time I had 2 sciatic “crashes” and in 2009 an ambulance ride to the hospital for a 5 day stay.

Living with pain became an acceptable lifestyle. I tried to not let it slow me down.

I can report that for the past 2 years I have been nearly pain free for the first time in 30 years. What changed? First I bought a Max Trainer from bowflex that I use religiously 3 times a week. Second I started 500 mgs of magnesium daily. These two changes literally changed my life.

Not your question but I am going to throw this out there. I have a missing disk from a climbing accident, as well as other damage from 25 years as a carpenter/ builder until 2002. I have endured pain for over 30 years that would make a “billy goat puke”. In that time I had 2 sciatic “crashes” and in 2009 an ambulance ride to the hospital for a 5 day stay.

Living with pain became an acceptable lifestyle. I tried to not let it slow me down.

I can report that for the past 2 years I have been nearly pain free for the first time in 30 years. What changed? First I bought a Max Trainer from bowflex that I use religiously 3 times a week. Second I started 500 mgs of magnesium daily. These two changes literally changed my life.
    Hey I appreciate it all trust me. Thanks. I've lived with moderate pain since '88, but the last few years it really upped the ante on me until last August when it threw up the white flag. Have addressed a ton of horrible imbalances in my glutes/hams and support that have helped a ton. It's a work in progress. Had 2 opinions from best most respected Neuro's in Tampa and neither wants to do another discectomy on me at my age. Said do a ton of PT and if it blows up then they will cut.....and I'm grateful they are not cut happy. I may end up there at some point, but want to stave off all I can if I can control some aspects.

Thanks...glad you are doing better

Living with pain became an acceptable lifestyle.
    I did physical therapy for many years, none of it seemed to really help. Traction, lower back injections, acupuncture, pills, you name it, they put me through it. I had finally given up, and thought living with pain was just going to be my life. The fancy mattress really helped. I wish you the best in dealing with your situation. The old cliche about, "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy" is true...not because I think they deserve better, but so they don't become more evil.

Dan, I switched to memory foam mattress in 09.
    It made all the difference in the world. For side sleeping, I believe softer is the answer. Like other mattresses, they do wear out. Ten years is where I would replace it

Reactions: oneshot86
    Dan, I switched to memory foam mattress in 09.
    It made all the difference in the world. For side sleeping, I believe softer is the answer. Like other mattresses, they do wear out. Ten years is where I would replace it
    Yea i screwed up on that....one of those things that never dawned on me b/c I was sleeping well. Maybe 3 years ago sleep started to suffer, but I attributed it all to my back......chicken or egg.....sigh. Going to Temp store tomorrow right when they open.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    Hey I appreciate it all trust me. Thanks. I've lived with moderate pain since '88, but the last few years it really upped the ante on me until last August when it threw up the white flag. Have addressed a ton of horrible imbalances in my glutes/hams and support that have helped a ton. It's a work in progress. Had 2 opinions from best most respected Neuro's in Tampa and neither wants to do another discectomy on me at my age. Said do a ton of PT and if it blows up then they will cut.....and I'm grateful they are not cut happy. I may end up there at some point, but want to stave off all I can if I can control some aspects.

Thanks...glad you are doing better
    Long term pain is a monster. It encourages one to move less and gain a few pounds. Both of which cause more pain and are the exact opposite of what the body needs.

The radiating nerve pain was constantly changing and mysterious. Mostly in my legs and feet. That also came with severe leg cramps. This is where the magnesium came in. Now pain that I used to hardly notice will bother me because I am now used to NOT being in pain. Its quite a thing when you have long accepted that daily pain is just your lot in life.

The exercise part was no mystery. The max-trainer allowed me to get the right low impact exercise on a fixed regiment.

The magnesium has been nothing short of a an accidentally discovered miracle.

Good luck on your quest…..

Mattress technology has fallen a long way. A few years ago I got an empire era spindle bed and strung it up with 3/4 hemp. Bottom section is linen ticken filled with straw topped with a down dtto. Most comfortable bed ever. The whole anachronism about sleeping tight is BS. I've only had to tighten the ropes with a bed wrench about once per anum at most. The only caveat is that it's high maintenance. About every 8 months I've got to replace the straw filler as it gets finer and packed harder from repeated movement. Quite cheap though in the long run.

Ok so wow this is new to me. Just looking at TempurPedic beds and htey are not compatible with my bed frame and box springs. So that is all bye bye technology now? And then I've got to buy one of their bases starting at $500. Fun week!

Tempurpedic work just fine with a standard box spring and frame. If there's nothing wrong with the box, just buy a new mattress
    Seems bizarre to me, but scroll way down. All their mattresses state 'incompatible with box spring' and 'incompatible with floor', but good on power base, flat foundation and platform bed.

Weird

And this:

Box springs cannot be used with Tempur mattresses. Box springs are designed to "give" in supporting a traditional mattress while Tempur-Pedic mattresses require a solid base. If you are not interested in a power base, we recommend using our flat foundations that can be used in place of a box spring. Our flat foundations available in three height options, can be found online here.

You can also place your mattress on a platform frame that is solid and sturdy or you can use a slatted foundation/platform as long as the slats measure to at least 3 inches in wide and are no more than 4 inches apart.

Long term pain is a monster. It encourages one to move less and gain a few pounds. Both of which cause more pain and are the exact opposite of what the body needs.

The radiating nerve pain was constantly changing and mysterious. Mostly in my legs and feet. That also came with severe leg cramps. This is where the magnesium came in. Now pain that I used to hardly notice will bother me because I am now used to NOT being in pain. Its quite a thing when you have long accepted that daily pain is just your lot in life.

The exercise part was no mystery. The max-trainer allowed me to get the right low impact exercise on a fixed regiment.

How much Mg do you take?
    Ok so wow this is new to me. Just looking at TempurPedic beds and htey are not compatible with my bed frame and box springs. So that is all bye bye technology now? And then I've got to buy one of their bases starting at $500. Fun week!
    Yeah they ain’t cheap, but as others said, I’m not sure that those bases are a necessity.

Nectar mattress. I got herniated discs and my wife got the Nectar thing and I’m pleasantly surprised with it for the price point and comfort on my back.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    want comfortable use straw , or sleep on a normal persons bed of dirt . it free everywhere and last almost forever . Now not hard dirt , but groomed dirt soft and fluffy , free of twigs and rocks it similar to a water bed but without the cost . dirt made by god just for your comfort ... lol

• Haha
    Reactions: lash
    @atepointer any chance you live around Houston? There is a local company (Texas Mattress Makers) that make their own mattresses here for substantial cost savings. They make latex, memory foam, and every kind of spring you can imagine. Plus, they actually know what they are selling so they can help you pick one based on your body.

Reactions: acudaowner
    I’ve had back problems for almost 30 years after herniating/crushing two disks in my lower back on a tower job at Offut AFB. About 5 years ago my wife bought us a new ($$$) bed/mattress/box spring. My back problems have really improved. Prior to this if I sat up in bed wrong I might not be able to stand up straight for days.
    View attachment 8094741
    That’s what we wound up with as well. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Reactions: Cowpokey
    Memory foam we bought in a box at Costco, Novaform is the brand. We found they work better on a rigid foundation than a box spring.

I did physical therapy for many years, none of it seemed to really help. Traction, lower back injections, acupuncture, pills, you name it, they put me through it. I had finally given up, and thought living with pain was just going to be my life. The fancy mattress really helped. I wish you the best in dealing with your situation. The old cliche about, "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy" is true...not because I think they deserve better, but so they don't become more evil.

I think PT success depends on the injury. I did 12 weeks last summer for a rotator cuff. Made a world of difference. Maintenance program is crucial. Just started last week for the left minescus. We'll see.

Make one yourself, a couple boards and a bunch of 20 penny nails.

nails-hero.jpg

If you are a side sleeper, test the three different firmnesses of the Temperpedics. My wife was constantly waking up with hip pain for years with our old mattress in a box. I took note of her back to hip angle as she laid on her side on each of the three firmness Tempurpedics. The soft one had her lumbar to pelvis angle at 90 degrees. The medium and firm did not let her hip sink in low enough to achieve the 90 degree angle. We bought the soft and she hardly has any hip pain any more. The soft ended up helping my back out as well.

If you want something really good for your back but a Sleep Number.
    Got a sleep number bout 4 months ago. Pretty pricey but it's super comfortable, warm when you want it....cool when you want it and a ton of positions that help with pain.

Reactions: smoooth1
    Another Sleep Number bed recommendation here! Super comfortable, adjustable firmness / softness, lots of other options like raising your head or feet, vibrating bed, etc.

Not cheap, but your body will thank you!!

If you are a side sleeper, test the three different firmnesses of the Temperpedics. My wife was constantly waking up with hip pain for years with our old mattress in a box. I took note of her back to hip angle as she laid on her side on each of the three firmness Tempurpedics. The soft one had her lumbar to pelvis angle at 90 degrees. The medium and firm did not let her hip sink in low enough to achieve the 90 degree angle. We bought the soft and she hardly has any hip pain any more. The soft ended up helping my back out as well.
    This is great b/c I have the hip pain thing too. This is also a routine observation I'm reading that firmer mattresses are not the best for side sleepers. Thanks. currently on a Stearns and Foster box spring traditional that is rated as medium.

Reactions: gigamortis

There has been a explosion of nutrition science in the last 20 years. The amount of inflammatories that we ingest is crazy. At the same time, we are not getting proper vitamins and nutrients.
    Your average Doctor doesn't know all that much about Nutrition. What you eat can have a huge impact on
    your pain level. Glad you shared your experience.

I really got into the nutrition and supplements a few years ago. Cut sugar and stopped eating stuff that came out of a box. Really lowered my aches and pains.