• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mauser 7x57

BERTMAN77MK2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
displaced TEXAN
I see I can order a barrel from Lothar Walther and a stock from Boyd's; where do I get scope mounts and trigger??
The rifle is a sporterized (bad job) and I ned to figure out what exact model it is to order a barrel and stock.
Any help would be appreciated as this is to be a do-it-all rifle for my grandson. I can email any pics but have no clue to post here.

I see I can order a barrel from Lothar Walther and a stock from Boyd's; where do I get scope mounts and trigger??
The rifle is a sporterized (bad job) and I ned to figure out what exact model it is to order a barrel and stock.
Any help would be appreciated as this is to be a do-it-all rifle for my grandson. I can email any pics but have no clue to post here.
To post pics in a thread, edit the original post and click "Attach files" in the bottom left corner. You might have to hunt for the pics but if they're saved to the computer, all you have to do is select the ones you want (you can check multiple ones) and once they show up in your edit, just click "Save" and the pics will be here. Here's an example of doing that with a picture of Allan Quatermain.
quatermain.jpg

Give that a try and if you can get the pics up, we'll do our best to ID your rifle.

You may want to look at ammo availability and cost before doing it. I know you want to do it yourself but you could get him a decent modern bolt gun for less money.

You'll have to have the action drilled and tapped for scope mounts, used to be fairly common. Don't know how many folks do it anymore.
The 7x57 is my favorite cartridge, it is mostly hampered by insanely low pussy loads here in the US.
Good, European loads tend to be loaded to the cartridges potential.
At one time, you could get surplus ammo loaded by FN, very accurate and quite hot compared to US loads.
It is really a reloaders round now. S&B and PPU catalog ammo for it, so brass is available.
The 162 hornady would be an awesome choice.

Measure the OD of the front ring. It's either 1.400 or 1.300 and the bolt spacing on the bottom metal. That will start to tell us (me) what you have. Also if the bolt (all 2 lug) has the "safety" lug at the rear of the bolt. You can email me at [email protected] with pics and I can probably tell by looking. The receiver will need to be drilled/tapped. Not a big deal. Might need the charging hump removed if it hasn't already. Don't delay as I'm going to deer camp Thursday.