• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser Brutus build

ejg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2008
Ireland
www.pse-composites.com
I always wanted a mauser 98, just to learn about the action and see what all the hype is about.
Kai Hauck an gunsmith friend in Germany picked out a 1909 Argentine Mauser for me. This was sent STL-Rifles for a re-barrel to 20" 308 with a new Lothar Walther. Manfred at STL is a very succesful target shooter and custom rifle builder.
Barrelled action was then shipped to Ireland. My son made me a very light graphite Tikka T3 stock that we converted to the mauser action. The Mauser bottom metal just seemed so heavy and as my other rifles run AICS I decided to fit a remmy AICS mag system that I had on the shelf. We had to extend the rear tang and re-position the rear hole. Front action hole was way off and therefore we made an ADL style action screw and behind the mag system has it's own threaded insert in the stock.
Action was a bit narrow to allow the AICS mag high enough for reliable feeding. We therefore opened up the bottom of the action carefully just so that the cartridge is presented high enough. Next up was the bolt handle which would collied with the scope. After sawing that off we noticed that it weighed over 2 oz. A tough 8mm steel rod was threaded and smithed to shape. The boat repair outfit around the corner TIG welded the handle on. I made a solid carbon fibre bolt knob which only weighs 7.4 grams and has the threads molded not cut...
We fitted a "kaiser" grip and rough stippling to the stock as we hunt mostly in wet conditions. Initially I want to use the mauser for heavy cover deer flushing and put a 1.5-5x24 red dot scope on. Total weight of the rifle including scope 7.92lb.
Peter who made the stock.
mauser3.jpg

Mauser2.jpg

Mauser8.jpg

Mauser6.jpg

Mauser5.jpg

3 shot 150gr soft points, shot with 1.5-5x24 scope 100yd
3x150grsp5mag.jpg

edi

Re: Mauser Brutus build

that'll do just fine for anything you want to do with it.
well done.

Nice setup, old meets new. What is the total length now? About 40" / 102 cm? Looks like it handles very nicely.

thanks,

the rail is from Recknagel in Germany. They make good quality stuff.
Very good guess on the length. She is 101.5cm
She handles a dream and the way the weight is ditributed and high recoil pad she recoils very pleasantly. Fun to shoot.
We'll be going after Sika deer in the morning with it.
edi

Very cool this is how I want to do one for sure!!

BN,
yes for a suppressor.
I'm just waiting for a few baffles to arrive as this rifle will
have it's own suppressor. STL was worried about ruining the muzzle of the barrel and cut a possibly large diameter thread. In this case M16x1 which is a bit awkward. I would have prefered M15x1 as I have two suppressors with that thread. Anyway I'll only run 3-4 baffles on this, just to save my hearing and keep the suppressor weight under 6 oz.

Another thing that needed attention was that the 308 cartridge would not feed up along the extractor. I checked the dimensions of the 7.65x53 and noticed that the rim of that case was only 1mm. The 308 around 1.4mm. I re-worked the extractor and it works a dream now. Feeding is not quite as smooth as a remmy but close.
edi

Great job Edi.

308 is much better than the old argentine cartridge.

You will love the 20" barrel. I would not use a suppressor while CQ hunting, that short barrel will be a pleasure to swing around.

Sirs, I´ve handled Edi PSE´s stocks and seen them being done. Absolutely the best composite components with superb manufacture to yield lightweight with stiffness I havent seen in any other. That stock is fantastic.

This is a really a great build
i have a yugo mauser myself and thought bout building off it many times
would it be possible to get a tikka stock like the one on this rifle set up for a mauser build like this with the original bottom metal from you guys ?
i guess you guys are from PSE composits

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cobaltbomb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a really a great build
i have a yugo mauser myself and thought bout building off it many times
would it be possible to get a tikka stock like the one on this rifle set up for a mauser build like this with the original bottom metal from you guys ?
i guess you guys are from PSE composits </div></div>

We were thinking of producing Mauser stocks but kind of gave up after looking at all the different mauser varieties. In 9 cases of 10 a gunsmith will have to do final touches or fitting.
In your case you could send the bottom metal that could be bedded into the stock and would fit 100%. The action would be guesswork. Bedded from my Mauser.??
Yes possible, costs might be quite high due to many hours of fiddling.
I chose our T3 stock because the front action screw hole was on the right position for the mauser meaning the internal carbon pillar could be used. The rear action screw is way off. The outside shape of the stock around the tang needed to be made larger and re-shaped. After all that it still might need fitting of the action.

We went after deer yesterday with Brutus, great day out without rain for a change.
Rifle handled really nice on the long walk over a boggy hill on the Irish west coast.
I had a chance of field testing the mag system and feeding somewhat, really glad that we fitted the aics, very smooth and reliable.
Pity we only saw stags that I didn't want to shoot this time of the year (after the rut).
edi
DSCN7412.jpg

DSCN7417.jpg