• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser K98

EagleVTR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2009
Al
I have been looking at a Mauser K98 rifle from Mitchells Mausers.
They have an ad in this months American Rifleman.
I am interested to hear what your thoughts are about the K98 rifle and what experience you may have had with Mitchells Mausers.
I am interested in this rifle as a collectable/investment.
Thanks.

Re: Mauser K98

They have always had nice but very overpriced rifles. Their advertising is "creative" too.
Look around at dealers like Sarco, Samco, SOG and Aim for a Russian capture, or RC, 98k Mauser.
You will be happier with it.

jim

I was talking with a guy tonight who told me he spent 9K on a custom rifle that he has not intention of ever shooting because its a "Collectable/Investment " and doesnt want to scratch it... I own quite a few items now and all mine get a good deal of use. I enjoy my firearms ,, some even havE a little scratch on them ! HORROR.

Firearms are for shooting and having fun with, not for sticking on a wall and looking at. Why in the hell would you want to buy a gun for such purposes.

I have several rifles for collecting, not so much as an investment. I have a couple of swedes, a Garand, etc. I shjoot every single one of them- some more than others but I shoot all of them. I wouldn't have a rifle I wouldn't shoot. I have a 98k Mauser. It's what we call a "Yugo Capture". It was given to yugoslavia after WWII as reparations. They scrubbed all of the German/Nazi markings and stamped the Yugo coat of arms on the receiver. It isn't a collectible and is a pretty good shooter.

If you just want a wall hanger buy the best example on one of the auction sites. A MM will never give you a good retuen on your investment.
I forgot to add earlier that MM also advertises M48s as 98ks. They are not the same rifle. The M48 and M48a are intermediate length actions made in Yugoslavia after the war on machinery given as reparations. They are not the same rifle as the German 98k Mauser even though MM advertises them as such.

Jim

Mitchels Mausers are complete CRAP. Anyone that has hung out here very long knows I do not get down on buisinesses but I have to draw the line on these posers. They mix and match parts strip, buff, grind and RESTAMP as they desire to come close to thier advertising. I can't say enough bad things about them and thier ethics. FWIW.

Cheers,

Doc

check out shotgun news, u can get it at wal-mart or most grocery stores in the gun mag section, EXCELLENT deals in there from time to time. plus good fun reading the ads....articles are ok

I dont think they are collectibles, but if you buy it with all the accesories they advertise it with the price seems about right. its a shooter. however i would rather hunt through gunbroker or maybe a gunshow and pick a rifle that you like. i bought a russian capture on gunbroker for about $250.

Just an opinion, but if you like to have historically significant firearms / milsup weapons in your gun safe, the K98 takes a backseat to very few rifles. It's influence on the both military and sporting bolt action rifles alone = must have.

Relatively cheap but decent examples can still be found, and they shoot very well.

I'll echo others in recommending you stay away from MM. You can get better quality rifles for much less $. Keep an eye out for estate auctions. Lots of veteran "bring backs" are out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mitchels Mausers are complete CRAP. Anyone that has hung out here very long knows I do not get down on buisinesses but I have to draw the line on these posers. They mix and match parts strip, buff, grind and RESTAMP as they desire to come close to thier advertising. I can't say enough bad things about them and thier ethics. FWIW.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

I have a large collection of German Weapons from WWII, when it comes to the K98, I agree, when it comes to the pistols, that is not the case Doc, I have several P38 from MM and they are for real, I have several P08's well try 16, and 4 are MM, they are not flubs or fakes. K98 with BYF or bcd, bnz marks are REAL hard to find, most where sported or sent to god knows where. As stated above Yugo whacked most markings so did USSR.

Curtis

I appreciate all of the responses. I now know several different options to consider when shopping around for a K98.

I'd also recommend Miltech...yes, they do great refurbished rifles but Ed also has stock of unmessed with rifles....Got my byf41 from him and absolutley no complaints. First class CS.

There is no problem with a company refinishing a rifle, as long as they do not advertise it as original condition.
Another thing to watch out for, and is hard to detect, are fakes. I remember several years ago on another board a story where some guy selling original rare Mausers was caught buying the stamps to mark them. There are so many fakes out there that unless they have documentation I wouldn't spend the extra for a rare rifle.

Jim

I spent 2 years trying to find a genuine K98 sniper of any variant and all i found was faked up rubbish. The guys over on the K98 forum and the Military Mauser forum on Gunboards were a great help in my search. They are the real K98 experts and they do not have anything good to say about Mitchells Mausers, I would go with what the experts say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuscalino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I spent 2 years trying to find a genuine K98 sniper of any variant and all i found was faked up rubbish.</div></div>

This is going to be a problem when genuine rifles achieve serious money (more than $10k). There is a well-known and respected UK gunsmith of MANY years standing who will make up "bitsa" K98 "sniper" rifles and sell them at around £2,000, but at least they are honest when they advertise them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There is no problem with a company refinishing a rifle, as long as they do not advertise it as original condition.
Another thing to watch out for, and is hard to detect, are fakes. Jim</div></div>

Great advice Jim. Ed at Miltech is 100% open about his rifles being refinished, not "original":

PRS98K.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

In the end I decided to have one that was restored simply because, in the UK at least, there was so much crap around at crazy prices that I gave up trying to find a good one.

That being said my gunsmith found a great all matching bring back a few months ago from a bona-fide colector. I'd have torn his hand off to get it but I was buying my 1915 SMLE at the time......

There is an element of luck and timing in everything!