• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser M03 match- good idea?

Re: Mauser M03 match- good idea?

If its got everything you want, then there should be no stopping you. It sounds like you found the perfect gun for your needs, and Mauser makes some great stuff, you just need a scope and some rings and you should be one happy camper.

Depends what you want it for.

I had a base model M03 in .243 about five years ago.

Fine quality of engineering, build and finish. I liked the idea of the modularity/calibre change possibilities (althought the mechanism for this seemed a little doubtful to my mind as the barrel did not screw directly into the acrtion, it was secured by two bolts throught the wooden stock). As you say, the action was nice and slick. And it had that Mauser "mystique"......

But it seemed to live up to all the worst expectations of old Mauser triggers. It was pretty agricultural in that department - inconsistent/unpredictable. I never felt confident with it (I'm pretty sure that this was not me being useless as I can get 1 MOA performance out of my 70 year old Enfield No4......with the standard service trigger).

I also had at the back of my mind that the barrel change mechanism might not have been the most conducive to sub MOA accuracy? As above, two bolts throught the stock and no direct screwing of the barrel into the action didn't seem ideal to me.

As a sporting/hunting rifle it was passable, just nothing special (averaged around 1.5 MOA performance to me).

As a precision rifle - forget it! It could not live with my AW or GAP.

I got rid of it. Just couldn't get to grips with it. I accept this could have just been me.......

And maybe the "Match" has a better trigger? I seem to recall that there was an adjustable version that was not available on the model I had.

If you want another recommendation - also check out the Sauer 202

Just noticed, that link doesn't mention it being offered in 6.5x55? Were you getting a custom barrel for it, or is that just a special order for them? Also, being across the pond, why not look at a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55?

Very neat,love the portaability factor.

Buy a Sauer 202 syntethic with the new soft touch stock and wide barrelchannel. Get it with a 6,5x55 hunting match barrel (17mm muzzle/60cm length). I think the 202 is the best shooter of the german qc barrel/takedown family of rifles.( Blaser R93/R8, Mauser 03 and Sauer 202). Pesonally I have a 202 Wolverine with alloy action, STR/SSG3000 6.5x55 barrel and 500g two stage match trigger. The matchtrigger alone is a good reason to select the 202.

In Norway you can get Schultz&Larsen barrels for the 202 cheap, 400 euros: http://www.jaktogfriluft.no/display.aspx?menuid=10400&prodid=11101

Euro 600 with fitted can: http://www.jaktogfriluft.no/display.aspx?menuid=10400&prodid=11101

There is another alternative in Europe. Schultz&Larsen rifles from Denmark. Exellent rifles: http://www.schultzlarsen.com/default.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Sauer 202 syntethic with the new soft touch stock and wide barrelchannel. Get it with a 6,5x55 hunting match barrel (17mm muzzle/60cm length). I think the 202 is the best shooter of the german qc barrel/takedown family of rifles.( Blaser R93/R8, Mauser 03 and Sauer 202). Pesonally I have a 202 Wolverine with alloy action, STR/SSG3000 6.5x55 barrel and 500g two stage match trigger. The matchtrigger alone is a good reason to select the 202.
</div></div>

I am also considering sauer 202 wolverine/jagmatch. What is your impression regarding accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
In Norway you can get Schultz&Larsen barrels for the 202 cheap, 400 euros: http://www.jaktogfriluft.no/display.aspx?menuid=10400&prodid=11101

Euro 600 with fitted can: http://www.jaktogfriluft.no/display.aspx?menuid=10400&prodid=11101

There is another alternative in Europe. Schultz&Larsen rifles from Denmark. Exellent rifles: http://www.schultzlarsen.com/default.htm
</div></div>

How much do they go for, e.g. this one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just noticed, that link doesn't mention it being offered in 6.5x55? Were you getting a custom barrel for it, or is that just a special order for them? Also, being across the pond, why not look at a Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55? </div></div>

they do 6,5x55. check out the broshure on their website. I don't like plastic mags in tikka and the same size action for all calibers. Sako is overprized in Europe. If I had to pay approx. 1800-1900 EUR for Sako varmint, I prefer to add like 300EUR and purchase a really beautiful rifle such as Sauer or Mauser. Both have smoothest actions on the market. Or maybe Heym sporter. I'd rather not go with Blaser due to well known rumors about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ancient Mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy a Sauer 202 syntethic with the new soft touch stock and wide barrelchannel. Get it with a 6,5x55 hunting match barrel (17mm muzzle/60cm length). I think the 202 is the best shooter of the german qc barrel/takedown family of rifles.( Blaser R93/R8, Mauser 03 and Sauer 202). Pesonally I have a 202 Wolverine with alloy action, STR/SSG3000 6.5x55 barrel and 500g two stage match trigger. The matchtrigger alone is a good reason to select the 202.
</div></div>

I am also considering sauer 202 wolverine/jagmatch. What is your impression regarding accuracy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

How much do they go for, e.g. this one? </div></div>

The accuracy in a Sauer 202 is all about barrel quality. The 202 is a very stable platform. In 6.5x55 with matchbarrels the 202 is a ".4moa" rifle. Typical accuracy is 10-15mm 5-shot groups at 100m with factory match ammo. In Norway we have at least 20 factory match loads from Norma, Lapua and Raufoss.

In Norway the S&L sporter is about 15% cheaper than a 202 Wolverine. The S&L is a massive piece of kit. All steel. Shoots usually very good. The S&L-barrels have a very good reputation in Scandinavia.

To confuse things even more you can get S&L matchbarrels and Heym matchbarrels for the Sauer 202 Wolverine in Norway. These barrels are painted with a thick acrylic paint wich reduce barrel vibration during firering. If you search pictures of Sauer STR, red barrels are S&L, blue barrels are Heym.

Sounds interesting. The issue with S&L is that I don't see many distributors outside Norway or Danemark. Their website is crap. With Sauer I see less problem with servicing than with S&L. However, these rifles look very nice.

I've owned a slew of Sauer 202s and can say that most shot extremely well with factory ammo. I have had a 22-250 and a 25-06 that were both very picky with ammo. The 270s all shot under 1 MOA with several loads. 243s all shot very well also. 7 mag and 300 wby (had several of each) all shot 1/2" with good factory ammo. My 202 lightweight in 270 is my go to rifle if I'm not using a magnum. Fully dressed with a Z6 2-12 SR it weighs 7.56#.

I've also been around some of the new M03 rifles and from what I've seen I wouldn't hesitate to own one in a heartbeat. Accuracy was under 1 MOA on every one I've seen and you can take them apart and put them together and they'll repeat it time after time. Don't know what they were 5 years ago but today's models are super guns. If I had a complaint about them it would be the long heavy action that 'does everything' as well as the overall weight of the gun. The Sauers are lighter and will shoot fine. Sauer has a standard size action and a magnum sized action. Does require you to buy 2 guns though so in that respect the M03 is a bit cheaper to own.

I noted the comment about the Blaser rumors. There hasn't been a substantiated incident with a Blaser for many, many years. I have a R93 in 270 Wby and a R8 coming in 300 Wby. Won't worry a moment about either one. Have friends who've owned them for years and put many rounds through them without any problems. They are a bit different and obviously not for everybody but the design with the scope being affixed to the barrel is very difficult to beat with anything else out there. I too heard the 'rumors' and found after really looking into them that there were no substantiated cases of anyone using factory ammo.

Also FWIW Blaser, Sauer and Mauser are all owned by the same fellow now and they use various manufacturing plants to turn out barrels for their 'brands' as well as other parts. All 3 are very good guns. Blaser, Sauer and Mauser are all distributed from Blaser-USA here in San Antonio. And yes I've been there a couple of times to drool over the goodies...
grin.gif

There are others out there that are just as good so don't take it that I'm putting these ahead of everybody else. Just that they are good and will serve you well no matter which route you go.