• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser M18 Action

HTM Botha76

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2022
South Africa
About a year ago I bought a Mauser M18 in 6.5 Creedmoor and will be looking to upgrade my stock to a chassis system. I’ve done my research and can’t seem to find of which action is the M18 based off? Is it the Remington 700 LA just like the scope base or is it a different action?

The action is an M18 action, it's not based on anything else as far as I know. As you noted, only the scope base screw holes were made to be compatible with Remington 700 LA base. That was more than likely to help keep costs down by not having to design and manufacture a proprietary scope base mounting system.

When it comes to aftermarket support, the M18 is pretty limited, Boyd's makes some laminated stocks for it but that may be about it. Oryx makes a chassis for the Mauser M18 but my understanding is that they only sell it direct to Mauser for their M18 chassis rifle. I'm not sure what brands are available in SA but a Howa may be a better option if you're looking to upgrade a rifle and keep costs down.