• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mauser M18 Barrel Specs

dustingaunder

Untitled
Minuteman
  • Dec 11, 2008
    Oklahoma City, OK
    www.google.com
    I pulled one to thread for a can. Interesting design. The barrel doesn’t have a shoulder. It indexes on the back of the barrel in front of the locking lugs.

I used a Remington 700 action wrench but be careful with that. The receiver is a C hair larger in diameter. I lined with some drywall seam paper and it still left a small beauty mark on the receiver. I lined the jaws up so it’d be on the top and bottom and will be hidden by the stock and scope mount. Came off with very little effort. No hammer, no cheater. Just my two hands

Metric threads. M28x1 RH
    Thread tenon is 31.34mm long
    Deep counterbore is 10.38mm deep. I neglected to measure the counterbore diameter. Sorry boys.

Muzzle was threaded 9/16-24.

93C6E717-C8B5-4E6F-BA34-CF7DC4E5ED25.jpeg

B5AF57C1-939D-4FCD-82E6-B9875A2DC2CD.jpeg

CD682DD0-F462-402C-BE6A-8803FF26AE4A.jpeg

Why did you find it necessary to remove the action to thread for a surpressor?

The action screws are studs and the stock bolts on with nuts.
    The front screw is floating in a pocket in the receiver under the barrel and cannot be removed without removing the barrel. It won’t fit centered in my lathe without removing that eccentricity.

What an eccentric design. I never worked on one, so I was curious. Very interesting, seems some German / Austrian designs have creative solutions to problems that do not exist. Looks like a neat rifle though.

Reactions: Bravo6
    Thanks for the info .. I just bought the M18 in 300 win mag from EuroOptic .. I couldn't resist the price .. and I wanted to have my barrel threaded .. this will give me a jump start!(y)

Another question .. my muzzle diameter is .6505" .. can I go with a 5/8 x 24? ... recommendations?

Thanks

Just pulled the barrel on my M18. Had to machine special bushings for the action wrench and barrel vise. Needed heat a few times due to an excessive amount of locktite between the barrel and action. Can thread the barrel now for a supressor. If anybody needs dimensions from the barrel or action now’s the time!

Attachments

• IMG_4541.jpeg
      IMG_4541.jpeg
      837.9 KB · Views: 37
    • IMG_4542.jpeg
      IMG_4542.jpeg
      823.1 KB · Views: 40