• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser scope

Helmet

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2012
Central California
I'm considering getting a Mauser and putting a scope on it. I would like the scope to look similar to a vintage scope that it came with. Any suggestions?

Re: Mauser scope

No offense, but is there anything wrong (broken?) with the vintage scope that came with it? Or am I misinterpreting your post....not clear if you have an original or not?

I'm using pre-wars Zeiss ZF39 Zielvier and Zielsechs - both have great glass.

Granted some may view no clicks for elevation (just constant rotation elevation drum) and, depending on the mount used, hold for wind as a PITA.....but it's what the guys who used them had to deal with and is part of the "classic rifle experience".

There's a number of repros out there (regularly see them pop up on Ebay) claiming to use the original machinery to manufacture but with modern internals, still badged as Zeiss Jena. Never seen them in the metal so cannot vouch for them.

There is another Mauser thread by ScharfschutzeK98 that mentions Iron Elite scopes....:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3549286#Post3549286

Nothing is wrong with it. I just don't have one. I'm just toying with the idea and I don't think that I can afford a real one, but that's just an assumption on my part as I'm just starting to learn about them. I was wondering if there are any modern scopes that look like the vintage makes? I don't know anything about the repros. I wont buy an unknown brand of scope. If it's just some Chinese thing I wont use it anyway so it would just be a waste of money. I would rather have an original one, but if I can't afford it then I would still like for it to look like it belongs on the rifle. Either way it has to be functional.

Not sure what style mount you have, or intend to use. But, for a scope that "looks the part", a lot of people use the older Weaver K4. For my K98 SSR clone, I found a postwar Hensoldt Dialytan 4x that's pretty much the same pattern as what was used during WW2. These can usually be found for around the same price as a Chinese repro, but I trust them even more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing is wrong with it. I just don't have one. I'm just toying with the idea and I don't think that I can afford a real one, but that's just an assumption on my part as I'm just starting to learn about them. I was wondering if there are any modern scopes that look like the vintage makes? I don't know anything about the repros. I wont buy an unknown brand of scope. If it's just some Chinese thing I wont use it anyway so it would just be a waste of money. I would rather have an original one, but if I can't afford it then I would still like for it to look like it belongs on the rifle. Either way it has to be functional.</div></div> Under today standards,the "functionality"of a K98k sniper scope,original or repro,it's a nonsense,because is at my understanding that the scopes were mounted by the factory only,on factory selected rifles,on their dedicated mount,indexed,mounted,texted thanks to skilled operators and a cumbersome gizmo,more or less of the dimension of a today Smart,named "schiessmachine"_ the elevation was indexed at 300meters,nothwitstanding the dialing capability of the elev.turret,and generally the end user was tied to that,being somewhat difficult and unadvisable thinkering with it in deployement zone__the windage dialing was generally performed once,thanks to some BASE's relatively crude mechanism_on the 30 sniper's training centers a serious effort was teach to the students to negotiate with this more or less FIXED sighting system,workin' on distance,elevation,windagetc.mainly from the infos coming from the post-reticle estimations,WITHOUT thinkering with it_ the K98k sniper rifle assembly was a really costly system,given to the chosen few ONLY after a strict selection and a really demanding training course(if passed)_ said that,will be useful understand what rifle you have or you will buy,and WHAT'S YOUR GOAL WITH IT_ by the way,beside the originals and the repros,I think that the choice can be even widened to more german quality fixed scopes,to 4x to 8x,produced after the IIWW until the '70s,perhaps unsuitables for today hunting,but aesthetically and money-wise worthing of some attention_ please,will consider also that mounting/indexing base and scope on a k98k will require the help of some skilled pro,in my opinion_ Best Regards

wilecoyote makes a good point re: adding a mount to the 98k - especially in my experience with the side mounts.

Whilst drilling through the sidewall of the receiver doesn't appear a particularly difficult operation - the tolerances required to get the scope correctly aligned with bore and the mount mated to the external receiver wall are small - especially as the internal elevation adjustment on the vintage scopes are relatively limited comapred to many modern scopes. So placement of the mounting holes is critical if the rig is to work.

Definitley a job for a good smith IMO if you are not to run the risk of screwing up a rifle. My smith has a good article on his website regarding building up a repro 98k scoped rifle:

www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk and look at the Armourer's Notes on the left of the home page.

BasraBoy,I think you are very lucky if you can count on a dedicated and fine Gunsmith like this_ (Here in Italy the trend about old irons is well different,,unfortunately)
smile.gif

Maybe I shouldn't rule out getting an old Hensoldt. That would be alot cooler than a repro.
I haven't decided on the mounts as this is going to be a long process, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking at the S&K mounts.
One of the members at my rifle range has been running the machine shop at the Jr college here for over 30 years so I would refer to him about who should be drilling on the rifle.
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Getting into vintage rifles is like learning about shooting all over again for me. If anyone has anymore suggestions, the more info the better.

Have a look at Accumounts too.

If you are going for an LSR, get the steel rings, not the thin profile ones, they will secure the scope a lot better. These 8mm have a fair recoil!

Also the LSR is said to be more stable of the side mounts, more so than the earlier SSR (of which the third version is the best - three screws/locking screws/pins to secure to the receiver wall).

The benefit of these side mounts is that (a) they are removable) and (b) it is still possible to use the iron sights with the scopes mounted.

There are good repros of some of the high and low turret mounts (Robert Spielauer at K98k.for example) but personally I've not used them yet, although I would not rule out a project with them at some stage.

On the scope, don't rule out EGay...I've bought a couple of good ZF39's from a guy in Frankfurt, Germany (his Ebay name is germansniper1, always seem to have accurate descriptions and a good choice) - there is usually a good selection of Zeiss, Ajack, Hensoldt, Dialytan etc. to look through. And don't rule out some of the smaller, quirky pre-war German manufacturers there were many different ones and not all scoped 98k's sported the big name scopes - because they are relatively unknown, they tend to come in quite a bit under the known names.

Be prepared for some "interesting" pricing - there are a couple of Dialytan x4 on there right now for around $300-$400...and then one from a guy in the US for $2,400! Not clear why he thinks it is worth this much (it does not have the typical 3 post reticle, nor does it appear to have any markings denoting usage by those "elite" German units that usually command such a price tag). FWIW I've never paid more than $600 (and that was for a mint ZF39 Zielsechs).

Also have a look at '50's/'60's Pecar scopes that are a little more "classic/vintage" looking but offer some of the more "new fangled" refinements than the '30's/'40's era scopes (Like calibrated dials with clicks and windage adjustment!
wink.gif
)

ArmchairElite,

You might think about getting one of the Russian knock-offs of the ZF39, which is the PE/PU(?) They have adjustable windage, and the windage/elevation drums are calibrated. Mine is a 1937.
It won't be an original equipment piece, but it's generally period correct and looks a lot like a ZF39.