• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mauser Turkish

Kinsman

Slacker
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Dallas, Georgia
I just picked up a 93 Turkish Mauser, and have started breaking it down for cleaning. The barrel seems to have a full length shroud around it. The barreled action seems too light for the barrel to be solid, about an inch in diameter. Is it a shroud, or am I just stronger than I think? If it is a shroud, how does it come off?
I am not very familiar with Mausers, and I can't find my Mauser book.

Thanks,

David

Is it a 93 or 98 Mauser??
93 = 1.30" across the front receiver
98 = 1.43" O.D. on the front receiver

Not 100% sure on the Turks, as they made at least 3 variations, but the "shroud" might be the rear sight collar. If so the collar is silver soldered on and will take a torch tho heat it up to get it off. If the "shroud" is sticking out from the front of the receiver about1/8", it is part of the receiver and can be turned off in a lathe.

If it is a 93 make sure you only run low pressure rounds thru it ie: 257 Roberts (NOT + P), 7x57, 300 Savage, 35 Remington...

Last edited:
Reading again your OP it seems somebody may have made a shroud of aluminum for the barrel. The only reason I could think of this would be to make it look better than the mil "stepped" barrel. The shroud might be just to cover up the ugly stepped barrel.
If so, I would guess it was done after the fact and is not mil standard.

A pic is worth 1000 words, can you post a pic?

Another justification was that some rifle barrels were "shrouded" and set up to be a primitive type of suppressor. This was usually on rimfire and other very low pressure rounds though.

What cal is it now??

Last edited:
No way its stock. Probably done for looks or for bench shooting. Maybe a heat shield? If its still 8mm its not s suppressor as the shroud would be shrapnel. Pics man! Is it attacked to barrel or receiver?

Someday I will master the art of posting pics on the Hide.
The rifle looks just like the other seven the man had. If it is not a shroud over the barrel, the barrel is about an inch in diameter full length. There is very little taper . About 1/2 inch from the very end of the barrel, it steps down to about .850". Then there is about 1/16" of about .650 dia. The rear sight, front sight, and trigger group attach point are mounted to this thing. For it's diameter, it is very light.
Markings on the receiver are: The letter S, then a crown, then "Danzig", and then 1893. on the left side of the receiver is "Gew 88"
It is chambered in 8mm mauser, and the bore slugs at .322.
The stock is full length, with no top wood.
I do not think it started out life asthe "modern" 8mm Mauser, but was modded by either boring the barrel from .318, or re barreling.
The receiver originally had a detachable magazine. It has a plate installed on the bottom and is top loaded now. It has been cut to accept a stripper clip. The front of the top opening of the receiver has been notched to clear a longer cartridge.
The whole thing was done about 1930 or so for the Turkeys. That's what I was told.
Hell, as far as I know, it may not even be a Mauser, but for the price I paid, if it will shoot, I am happy.

The markings make it sound like a Small Ring ('93) Mauser. If the bolt does not have the 3rd locking lug in the rear, I would have reservations about shooting 8x57 ammo in it.
A good number of the GEW guns were reworked by Arab Turkish Firearms and are stamped ATF on the front receiver ring. This sounds like yours. I would want to have the heat treating checked or redone before I ran high pressure 8 mm ammo thru it. These were originally 7x57 and operated at a lower pressure.

http://mob35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/cowboybart/30-06 AI/crest98.jpg

As for the shroud: Where it drops down at the muzzle is how it attaches to the barrel, I am still at a loss as to why other than cosmetic.
Never saw a detatchable mag set up for a SR Mauser. I have seen a 15 or 20 round "trench mag" for the LR Mausers. The stripper clip cuts in the rear and side are standard military.

Last edited:
M88

The markings make it sound like a Small Ring ('93) Mauser. If the bolt does not have the 3rd locking lug in the rear, I would have reservations about shooting 8x57 ammo in it.
A good number of the GEW guns were reworked by Arab Turkish Firearms and are stamped ATF on the front receiver ring. This sounds like yours. I would want to have the heat treating checked or redone before I ran high pressure 8 mm ammo thru it. These were originally 7x57 and operated at a lower pressure.

http://mob35.photobucket.com/albums/d177/cowboybart/30-06 AI/crest98.jpg

As for the shroud: Where it drops down at the muzzle is how it attaches to the barrel, I am still at a loss as to why other than cosmetic.
Never saw a detatchable mag set up for a SR Mauser. I have seen a 15 or 20 round "trench mag" for the LR Mausers. The stripper clip cuts in the rear and side are standard military.

You have a Model 88 commision rifle. They were made with a protective shroud instead of wood hand guards. The S denotes that is was chambered for the new .323 spitzer bullet.

You have a Model 88 Commision rifle The shroud was to take the place of wood hand guards. The S denotes that it was chambered and barreled for the new .323 spitzer bullet.

You're welcome. I would slug the bore and load about 10 gr. of Unique under a cast lead bullet and have fun.

Turkish Mausers have been made in many configurations one of the most common is a large ring action (same as the 98 in features and action size) with a small ring-sized barrel. Many of the turk mausers had a shroud like extension that is a part of the receiver that extends a short distance over the barrel. The shroud is not an add-on it is a part of the receiver, one single piece. The shroud is usually trimed back in a lathe prior to rebarreling unless you want it historically accurate.

I have no idea why the turk mausers are outfitted that way but they work, I bought one for $38 and it was the sloppiest bolt gun in terms of bolt receiver fit but shot well after rebarrelling in 6.5 x 284. It was probably the hardest barrel I have ever removed.

If anyone doubts this use Google to verify.

Wade, you got off track a bit. Barts rifle is not a "Turk" and the shroud is as long as the entire barrel. You are correct about the Turk reciever though. I gave 49$ for mine.