• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mausingfield and surgeon 591 users

g3ninfinite

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
is anyone running an internal box mag with hinged floor plate? are either action capable of top loading? looking to build a pseudo m40a1 type build but looking to use a more modern and better machined action.

Surgeon will work but not ideal the port is a little small for top loading comfortably ,even so you could always carry a pair of chopsticks in a +2 round holder to help load em in.
On a serious note,for a dedicated bdl set up,I would be looking at an action with a more open load/ejection port.Brownells sell a defiance made action under there own branding that would be a better choice for your m40 clone it has a swept back handle like the 700,uses Rem 700 mounts and no bolt fluting which would be keeping with more of an original look.

thanks for the info. just as an fyi i’m not doing a clone. just trying to keep the same barrel contour, top load bdl configuration and m40a1 stock.

I top loaded my 6mm Surgeon for years, there were no issues.

I have had and used many Surgeons set up as BDL. Surgeon sold many of them as well. No issue at all. I am not even sure Surgeon offered a DBM the first few years. If for some odd reason you have issues with top loading it simply have more clearance milled though I doubt this is will be necessary.

Think ARC has a “Hunter” version of the M5. Never seen it on their website though. Might be the way to go for a internal magazine.

2B6C6EFD-7B6A-4FA0-BF35-91F5E0FD63F1.jpeg

What's the story on standard M5's and internal box mags? I know the original versions were not compatible, but are the M5C# versions? I know the bottom of the receiver was opened up to work with PMags and other polymer AICS magazines, but not sure if the internal BDL style mags will work?

Edit: The Hunter M5 is awesome. Probably going to be one in my future after school is done.

I ran a badger ordnance M4 bottom metal for eight years or so on my surgeon 591. I still have the manners stock and bottom metal if I ever want to go back to that configuration. The surgeon action has an anti jam rail cut into the left raceway to prevent your rounds from jamming like a 700 will. I agree the port was a little small with the integral rail but it was not bad. It was a nice clean set up and made carrying the rifle easy.

Well, if you’re a CRF/Mauser whore like I am, you’d look closely at the FN A1 with a floorplate from tacticalcoordination.com. There is also one in the px I think. You could buy one of those, sell the stock, and buy an HTG. Comes with a Badger Ordinance rail and a solid adjustable trigger (single stage).

I’ve said it many times I hate myself for selling mine, very smooth, robust action and I believe on par with a custom feature set. Only real negative compared to an M5 is the lack of quick barrel changes, BUT the factory chrome lined barrel should last you a very long time.