• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mausingfield barrel

hunter223

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2007
Odessa Tx
Hey guys as I'm sure you could tell from my other posts regarding gunsmithing, I'm new as fuck at this so any help is greatly appreciated and sorry if my questions come off as inane but I've had no formal instruction and I'm doing he best I can. Fwiw my first build I did shoots under 3/8moa with factory varmint ammo. My question is, when barreling for a mausingfield without a nut how do I determine the tenon length? Measure from action face to claw and subtract .015? I don't yet have the action in my hands but based on the extractor style I'm assuming there's not a bolt nose recess cut into the barrel like on a Remington correct? So if I'm correct and the action face to claw was say .800" cut the tenon to .785 thread 1-1/16x20 and chamber as I would on a Remington without taking into account the bolt recess? Does anybody have a drawing of the tenon like surgeon provides? I'm a visual learner and that would be really helpful. Really have a passion for this stuff guys and for about 10 years I've been wanting to build my own but couldn't pull the trigger on a lathe. Any help is really appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

You got it. .01" to .015" off the extractor. 1-1/16 x 20 for threads. Flat breech. No wierd stuff. They about as easy as it gets. Use of a narrow thread insert and careful work will put you up close enough to the shoulder so you don't have to undercut it.