• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mausingfield Bolt Lift, Is this normal?

prcomte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
I finally purchased the action I've wanted since i got into long range shooting. I have one complaint about this action and that is that the bolt lift is ungodly heavy. Its easy 2x heavier than my LRI worked remmy and 3-5x heavier than a typical defiance, surgeon, bighorn, etc. From the guys who have ran them, is this normal? I have narrowed it down to being in the fire control. If you take the firing pin out of the action its as smooth as glass. If its normal, i won't complain or go any further with it, but if it isn't then ill call arc.

There’s another thread with exactly this same question going on right now, you may want to search it.

I saw his also. Mine isn't necessarily the same problem i don't think. It doesn't always click at the top. Especially if the FCG is out. It really seems like a super stiff firing pin spring, though i wanted some opinions of people that have them.

I dropped the trigger out, and the Bolt lift remained the same, so i don't think the trigger is the problem. I may just be a weak ass complaining about nothing. Its a heavy bolt lift, but its completely manageable.

I dropped the trigger out, and the Bolt lift remained the same, so i don't think the trigger is the problem. I may just be a weak ass complaining about nothing. Its a heavy bolt lift, but its completely manageable.
What trigger are you using

Is yours DLC, cerecoted or white. If cerecoted something might have gone on a little thick, then you might need to send the bolt fore DLC. Second thoughts have you tried lubing the bolt and greesing the lugs?

Timney Calvin Elite Single stage. And the bolts has gun grease at contact points on the bolt.

Not normal. My DLC'ed Mausingfield has a bolt lift that is slightly stiffer than my DLC'ed Deviant.

I had a Mausingfield for a while. What I noticed is the ramp for the cocking piece is steep. I compared it to a bighorn tl3 which I also owned and it was very steep in comparison. I always noticed my bolt lift to be heavier on the Mausingfield and that’s why. It’s designed that way, I’ve felt others and they are all the same. It’s something I got used to.

And just for insight into my findings, Ted replaced every internal part in my bolt as he updated them and nothing ever changed the bolt lift, so it’s definitely design. Mine was DLC.

Mine is also DLC'd, so it should be lighter.. for those of you that have them, does the number on the bolt head and extractor match your serial number?

Mine is also DLC'd, so it should be lighter.. for those of you that have them, does the number on the bolt head and extractor match your serial number?

No, the number on the bolt head is the head diameter for different size cases (223, 308, etc)

mine is slick as snot, have a TL3, not as slick as the TL3 but a hell of a lot smoother than my rem based customs.

Well, i'm not sure whats going on with it then. I might be being to picky. Ill compare it to some others side by side at the range tomorrow. I'm sure there will be a few customs there.

Well, i'm not sure whats going on with it then. I might be being to picky. Ill compare it to some others side by side at the range tomorrow. I'm sure there will be a few customs there.

My friend has a DLC'ed Mausingfield, supposedly same year and batch as mine.

His feels a lot stiffer on bolt opening and bolt closing - only real difference is trigger. I figured it was a trigger timing issue on his, but perhaps something else is going on.

Mine feels super slick. Just put it beside my DLC'ed and polished Deviant, and I have to say my Mausingfield feels even smoother than the Deviant.

Perhaps talk to Chad at LRI - he seems to know those actions inside and out. Hope you get it figured out - they are amazing actions.

Kind of an odd scenario. I went shooting yesterday to break in a new barrel that I'm working with. When fired the bolt lift is minimal. Its only when I'm dry firing it that its super stiff. Has anyone else encountered this?