• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maven B.2 9x45 the real deal

Glassaholic

Optical theorist and conjecturer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Panhandle, FL
    I have been in the market for a new set of binoculars and a few weeks ago had the chance to look through a pair of Swarovski SV 10x42 EL. For any of you who are unfamiliar with the SV moniker don't feel bad, I was not as well, but SV stands for Swarovision and this is the name of Swarovski's field flattener lenses made with fluoride, this technology allows a very flat and sharp image across the entire FOV. Optical magnification designs tend to have a curve to the surface of the lens which can cause distortion at the edges but the Swarovski SV's binoculars are sharp edge to edge giving them a unique sight picture. I was so impressed with the Swarovski's that I decided to begin my search again for a better set of binos. My current set that I've had for a number of years now has been a set of Minox BL 10x44 HD's which I've always thought performed very well for the price ($500 - $700 class), but comparing them side by side with the Swarovski's (arguably the best binoculars available) they were no comparison - as it should be.

So I hit the internet hard and began looking at all kinds of reviews on good, or rather - great, binoculars. Did I want to spend $2600 on a pair of Swaro's or was there something else that even came close. Sure there are the Leica's and the Zeiss bino's which are a little cheaper than the Swaro's but not by much, but I came across several reviews on some birding forums that raved about another binocular manufacturer that they felt came very close to the quality of the top 3 (Swaro, Zeiss and Leica), that company is Maven based out of Lander, WY here in the states, but their optics are made in Japan and they offer a "direct to consumer" method of sales much to the chagrin of dealers and while I try my best to promote Hide dealers, I do like deals and the Maven's offer incredible pricing if the claims of how good their glass is holds up. I was already somewhat familiar with Maven but what really caught my attention was my recent search for high magnification bino's that could replace a spotter, this led me to the new Maven B.5 18x56 which uses fluorite in their lens design as well as having a "warmer" color cast compared to most Japanese optics which tend to have a cool/bluish color cast that my eyes do not like, reviews are coming in showing these B.5's as being very comparable to the much more expensive glass from the top 3, Vortex's new UHD line also has some impressive bino's but as far as I know the UHD's do not use fluorite in their lens design so the Maven B.5's may prove to have a bit better IQ - I'd love to get my hands on the 18x56 from both Maven and Vortex and do a more thorough comparison but that will have to wait for the time being.

Also unique with Maven is a "demo program" where they allow you to "try before you buy" which is really beneficial especially if you live out in the boonies where finding a shop with high end glass is near impossible. I knew I would get another chance to look through the Swaro's so I decided "why not" and ordered two binoculars from Maven's B.2 line which uses an Abbe-Koenig prism that makes the bino's a little longer and a little heavier than the Schmidt-Pechan design used in the Swaro's and other roof prism binos, but the Abbe-Koenig's are supposed to yield a bit more light transmission and IQ according to some. I also liked the fact that the B.2's offered a 45mm objective vs. the traditional 42mm objective of many hunting and birding binos, this allows for a bit larger exit pupil which helps in low light situations.

Opening the box from Maven yielded two binoculars with Maven straps attached - nothing more, nothing less, they were plain black and similar in color and design to many other binoculars you'll see in a big box store; however, Maven does have a "custom" program on their website where you can design your own binoculars in different color combinations. Thankfully Maven has the center screw that can be replaced with a tripod mount so I mounted them up right away to get a steady view off my back deck. Thankfully my deck is above most of the other houses behind me and I have an uncluttered view of Pikes Peak and the front range as well as some open space that is about 950 yards away, I can also see the details of the homes and trees in between.

Right away I could tell that both the 11x45 and 9x45 trumped my Minox BL's by a significant margin; however, I did notice some CA when looking at the mountain ridge and tree branches next to open sky; however, outside of the CA induced by those high contrast situations the IQ of the Maven's were impressive to say the least. After glassing for a little while I soon realized that my eyes much preferred the image from the 9x45's, not only that, but the 9x45's showed more depth forgiveness than the 11x45's - what does this mean, essentially I can set the 9x45's focus wheel at about 150 yards or so and still be able to get objects in the far FOV relatively in focus, could I tweak the focus wheel a bit to get an even better image, yes I could, but it wasn't necessary for most of my glassing which is very convenient especially when you're in the field hunting, you don't want to be fiddling so much with the focus wheel as you scan the hillsides.

Now it was time to compare the B.2's to the Swaro EL's, this would be the true test and this test would also come at sunset and into the fading light as we were testing some scopes for my ZCO, Kahles, Schmidt and Minox Ultra Short review. I handed both the 11x45 and 9x45 to @jwknutson17 and waited for his first thoughts and after glassing a bit with both, he came to the same conclusion as me, he felt the 9x45 had the better image between the two, that's not saying the 11x45 is bad, just that the 9x45 is better; should you have a need for higher than 9/10x I have no issue recommending the 11x45 understanding it is a bit more finicky to focus than the 9x45 and with a little bit less depth. Then we paired the 9x45 with the Swaro EL 10x42 and went back and forth in the fading light and even into the dark, what surprised both of us was how well the Maven B.2 9x45 held up IQ wise to the Swaro EL. If we're splitting hairs I felt the Swaro held a bit more edge detail especially into the low light, but whether it was the FOV or the larger exit pupil, the image from the 9x45 impressed every time we looked through it.

I'm sure if we had more time and had some resolution charts and the like we could probably pick apart some of the Maven's shortcomings especially in comparison to the Swaro. Hands down the Swaro has a better build quality, the Maven's seem a bit more "plasticky" to me and the eyecups could use a better mechanism for adjustment, but those are minor complaints for a bino that is almost 1/3 the price of the EL's. If you want the absolute best in IQ and especially if you want flat field technology then the Swaro EL is probably the best there is, but if you don't mind giving up a little and saving a lot, then I'd highly recommend you take a look at the Maven B.2 binoculars.

Here's the two Maven's, on the left is the 11x45, middle is the 9x45 and the right is the Minox BL 10x44 HD. Does it look like the 11x45 and 9x45 are the same size? Well that's not an optical illusion, they are the same size.
    Maven_B.2_11x45_9x45002.jpg

Some other manufacturer's should take a lesson in simplicity, the Maven's have very little text on their binos, in fact, it was difficult for me to tell the difference between the 11x45 and the 9x45 as the magnification identification is somewhat obscure.
    Maven_B.2_11x45_9x45003.jpg

Maven_B.2_11x45_9x45004.jpg

The knurling and the tension on the B.2 focus wheel is superb, the same tension both ways, very easy to control and get good focus quickly.
    Maven_B.2_11x45_9x45005.jpg

My long distance IQ testing was done at Pikes Peak which is 18 miles away by line of sight. The Maven's did superbly in cutting through afternoon haze and mirage from rooftops along the way. I was able to see detail in the trees and rocks on the peak I could not see with my Minox BL's.
    Maven_B.2_11x45_9x45007.jpg

I like the color cast of the Maven's, most Japanese optics have a cool/bluish color cast which I do not like. The Maven's appear more neutral to warm to my eyes (as well as to my iPhone SE which is what I took this through the lens image from), do not use this image as an example of IQ, it is just to show the color cast or lack thereof, IQ and detail was impressive.
    Maven_B.2_11x45_9x45008.jpg

So you might ask, "so did you buy the Maven's" and the answer is "no, for now". I still have my eyes on the Maven B.5 18x56, but in the end I decided to go a completely different route and get a Zeiss Victory RF 10x42 which should be here later this week. The reason is that I really wanted an RF unit and bino in one, and having the ballistics was an added bonus with the Zeiss. I have never seen the Victory RF's before so I'm really hoping the glass is at least as good as the Maven's, but I would not hesitate at all to recommend the Maven B.2's for anyone looking to get top 3 quality in a $1k optic.

Reactions: WoodbneK and Wyzrd
    I demod the same b2 9x45 and compared to my slc hd 8x42. They are a FANTASTIC bino for the money, and came extremely close to my swaros for a lot less money. Not quite as good in low light, and touchy focus/short depth of field were the only negatives. Great binos. I recommend them often now. Maven also has great CS.

Customer service is not something I have experienced other than the ordering and return process of the demo set. I worked with Mollie and she was a pleasure to work with through the process. I should have also mentioned that Maven has an unconditional lifetime warranty, even if you are at fault (as long as it is not deliberate or intentional damage) and they will repair or replace. I should also mention that while made in Japan, their optics are assembled here in the USA.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    Have a two week honeymoon in Alaska coming up next month.

I have been in the market for a set of GOOD bins for my fiance and I, and having to get a set for each of us was straining the budget. i needed a set of lighter, smaller form factor 8x bins for hikes and so forth. I have been testing, purchasing and returning, going to cabelas and viewing in parking lot. I had come down to one of two directions:

Buy into the new Forge series from Bushnell and kick the small form factor for cheapness and relative value. Some excellent pricing is available on these that makes them DIRTY cheap if you have access to LE/MIL pricing.

or

Bite the bullet and go with some EL 8x32.

I went down to my local Cabela's and spent a LOT of time in the parking lot with a set of ELs. Buying two of these was going to hurt me right down into my guts but they are SUBLIME. Then I stopped picking out tree branches and water fowls and distant cars and followed several song birds in flight. I had read about the "rolling globe effect" that some people get with SwaroVision swaros and holy hell, did it hit me HARD. Folks, those flattening lenses MIGHT mess with you in a way that makes you unable to track objects. Those birding guys aren't kidding.

A little bummed, I decided I would just get the Forge 8x42 set for each of us and get a better set later on after more time to compare a double-the-already-painful purchase.

So I contacted some folks who Knew how to access the discount and decided that would be that.

A friend recommended I look through a set of Mavens and I found a fellow on a birding forum near me who owns the B3 8x30 and let me peep through them. DAMN... are they nice. Then I saw the customizing options and I was sold. So, I gave up on the Forge and called Maven. Whoever is answering the phone there (her name escapes me) is absolutely wonderful. Sometimes you just need the warm and fuzzies to make a purchase and that's what I got. She spent 45 minutes geeking out with me on optics of various makes and how they compared, low light testing, stories of hunts and coatings and everything you could ever ask of an optics rep.

I now have two B3s fully customized and a set of B5 18x on order, spent way more than my intended non-swarovski budget.

The Mavens are no joke. Those set of B3s I looked through were REALLY good. Almost unbelievably bright, with exceptional control of CA and resolution that obliterates anything even close to their price point.

I am hoping that the investment in the B5s will be as satisfying. The 15x+ bino landscape is growing quickly and these have all the boxes checked. I will post a full review on the B5s when I get them, and an even more detailed review of the B3s after two weeks in Denali and a cruise to Vancouver from anchorage.

Call Maven at your own risk, the sales woman there knows more than any person I've ever interacted with outside a trade show about optical performance and will geek out with you until you drop twice the amount of money you intended haha.

Even having purchased a B5 I am still only a little more than half what I'd have spent on two sets of ELs so we will see how that budgeting goes for me.

Last edited:
    Mammoth, that is a great story, and what a fun wedding gift for each other - Alaska and some nice bino's! If you've never been to Alaska, you will love it, Denali is truly something to behold, I look at a Fourteener every day but I also look at it from 6500' elevation, the coastal mountains near Anchorage are a little over 6k if I remember and they honestly look just as spectacular (if not more so) rising up from sea level, then as you drive out to Denali you see it from what seems like hundreds of miles away and as the hours go buy it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. We saw so many animals on our buss tour, the guide said it was rare to see all we did in one trip and we got some cool pictures of most of them (this was in the mid 90's). After you get back I look forward to hearing how it went and how you think the Maven's performed in the field. I had not heard about the panning issue with the EL's but I don't do much Birds in Flight (BIF) though I did not notice any strange optical abnormalities when panning the hillsides.

Also, I look forward to hearing about your experience with the B.5 18x56, that's one I am most curious about, especially with the fluorite glass they are using, I bet they are stunning so please come back and give us a report on your experience with those especially for spotting and scanning.

• Love
    Reactions: TheMammoth
    Thank you sir. We are absolutely out of our minds with excitement. The binos are a surprise for her so she can stop using my old set of Diamondbacks.

The customization allowed me to make them for her with exactly her colors and the camo pattern from Kuiu she likes, and get them engraved with our wedding date.

I’ve never been more excited for anything in my life than starting this journey with her in a place I’ve fantasized about since childhood.

I certainly appreciate the descriptions of your trip! It makes me even more excited and reinforces my notion that I couldn’t let this trip pass is by without very good eyes to watch it through.

If my B5 arrive in time I’ll take them with me and try to get some extended nature watching and perhaps some digiscoping :)

Reactions: Glassaholic
    Thank you sir. We are absolutely out of our minds with excitement. The binos are a surprise for her so she can stop using my old set of Diamondbacks.

The customization allowed me to make them for her with exactly her colors and the camo pattern from Kuiu she likes, and get them engraved with our wedding date.

I’ve never been more excited for anything in my life than starting this journey with her in a place I’ve fantasized about since childhood.

I certainly appreciate the descriptions of your trip! It makes me even more excited and reinforces my notion that I couldn’t let this trip pass is by without very good eyes to watch it through.

If my B5 arrive in time I’ll take them with me and try to get some extended nature watching and perhaps some digiscoping :)
    Congratulations for sure (I used to be a professional wedding photog and always enjoyed that job and seeing the happy couples). Alaska was one of the most amazing places I've ever visited (and I didn't even get to see any glaciers :(), we went in June and the weather was amazing, freakiest thing was fishing at midnight and the sun still being out, it never actually got dark through the night just dusky. Lot's of hiking in the coastal mountains with foliage so thick I thought I was in Hawaii. I've always wanted to go back but it just hasn't happened yet. You will love it I'm sure.

I love my Mavens

Only reason I moved to Swaro is I bought the EL O-Range. If Maven offered them in LRF I'd have bought them.

Really, she didn't mention anything to me, but that would be fantastic.

She didn’t make it sound like it was close or anything, just that it was being discussed and would be game changing.

If they could integrate what my KILO3000 has with something like a B2, I would be over the moon.

In the months that I’ve owned the Sig LRF binos I’ve come to hate the damned eye cups and the alarmingly dark right side view.

She didn’t make it sound like it was close or anything, just that it was being discussed and would be game changing.

If they could integrate what my KILO3000 has with something like a B2, I would be over the moon.

In the months that I’ve owned the Sig LRF binos I’ve come to hate the damned eye cups and the alarmingly dark right side view.
    I mentioned something similar to Vortex, if they could put their new 5000 LRF in the Razor UHD line... I've had the Fury HD and was underwhelmed with the IQ, same with the Nikon Laserforce. The $1200ish bino LRF's are getting really good LRF units (Fury HD 5000 and Sig 3000BDX) but the glass is a bit lacking. The big 3 put out amazing glass and LRF's are getting better but these all run $3k and up, if someone could put out a bino with LRF that had amazing glass and LRF unit for $2k or less, they'd make a killing. I think Maven and Vortex have the best opportunity to do so, maybe Sig.

I mentioned something similar to Vortex, if they could put their new 5000 LRF in the Razor UHD line... I've had the Fury HD and was underwhelmed with the IQ, same with the Nikon Laserforce. The $1200ish bino LRF's are getting really good LRF units (Fury HD 5000 and Sig 3000BDX) but the glass is a bit lacking. The big 3 put out amazing glass and LRF's are getting better but these all run $3k and up, if someone could put out a bino with LRF that had amazing glass and LRF unit for $2k or less, they'd make a killing. I think Maven and Vortex have the best opportunity to do so, maybe Sig.

If they did a preorder to gauge interest of their B1 with the same kind of LRF and connectivity as Sig I’d buy one sight unseen and wait a year for it. Lol.

• Haha