• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maven RF.1 vs Sig Kilo 5K

WoobieJ

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2012
West Texas
Lookin at buying either the Maven RF.1 or the Sig Kilo 5K. I'm currently leaning toward the Maven RF.1

Which would you go with and why?

Sig Kilo, they've got an established track record for making excellent range finders

Maven who? Never heard of her

I have had 3 sigs and 1 other sig optic. I had problems with all 4. Their tech support has been terrible.

What problems?

I mean, 1 or 2, they suck. Every time? Is the operator causing issues?

I've had 100% track record. They did release the 2200 to replace the 2000 after the 2000 had battery life issues. Several tango and whiskey scopes with no issues.

It's well known SIG tech support brings the suck. Nobody can argue that. I've never needed it though, which is the way I prefer it.

Sig Kilo, they've got an established track record for making excellent range finders

Maven who? Never heard of her
ROFL , seriously how many of them you had your hands on , my experience with Sig Kilo , they are typical branded chicom crap with huge variations from unit to unit.If you got lucky it worked to a good range but many were seriously underperforming.I had a chance to test 4 or 5 Killo2200 side by side on same targets and would only buy maybe one of them , and as i do not feel that lucky buying crap id pass.

I’m pretty blown away two people have a >80% failure rate with any modern product, regardless of origin. I’m also confused by the first poster who somehow bought three Sig scopes and some other Sig optic when all were failing. Why keep buying them?

On the other poster with the 80% RF that didn’t work at all rate, what? I find it hard to believe they would still be making and selling these if that were a true representation, nobody would be buying them. They get dinged for having slight reticle misalignment on one of their models (and rightfully so) and glass quality on the 3000s was very “meh” but they generally have very positive feedback.

FWIW, I’ve had good experience with them, great bang for buck. Their CS I haven’t had to use for product issues but I have dealt with them for product questions, and aside from enormous phone menus that take an hour to navigate I’ve had a reasonably good experience once I’m talking to someone. It’s frustrating as heck to deal with an hour of boilerplate every time you call, though. Definitely would ding them on the CS side.

No idea on Maven, check the long range hunting websites, lots of people on them use Maven RFs for whatever reason.

I’m also confused by the first poster who somehow bought three Sig scopes and some other Sig optic when all were failing. Why keep buying them?

Perhaps if you snorted less coke.

I did not say “scope” . I did not say all sigs are bad. I simply relayed MY personal experience. The failures being what they were I was mostly disappointed by their tech support.

2 of the 3 “rangefinders” were warranty replacements. The 1st warrenty replacement was from sig. When that turned out to have issues too, I used Brownells warrenty were I originally bought it.

Yes I did fall for the idea that it was just their range finders and purchased an Oscar 3 from europtic. After having a problem with that europtic consulted sig, and sig agreed. They replaced the unit which had the same issue. Europtic apologized and issued a label for return and a full refund. I talked to Sig support myself and they literally told me that they had never put hands on one. 😳

The first range finder I sent in for service, a tech called me and told me he had just ranged a tree and it worked fine. I said “That’s how Sig tech dept checks out a range finder by ranging a tree???😳 After some back and forth he sent a replacement.

I knew this 1st range finder well, testing it on my range on steel out to 1200 yards and other objects much much further. Suddenly it would not range steel past 600 yards. Same with the replacement. The third one developed cold weather battery issues. I fixed this issue by stretching the battery spring. Another member here had the same issue and I suggested he try my fix and it seemed to work. Fingers crossed this fix holds when hunting in cold weather.

One thing good about these Sig rangefinders is that it got me learning to range with mils as a backup. So there is that. Luckily my hunting pal was with me when the 3rd failed on a cold weather hunt.

The Oscar 3 issue was bizarre to say the least. I so much wanted that optic to be everything and more. Yea I finally learned my lesson.......

Last edited:
I have had good luck with my Sig range finders. No issues. No idea on the Maven.

Reactions: WoobieJ
I’m pretty blown away two people have a >80% failure rate with any modern product, regardless of origin. I’m also confused by the first poster who somehow bought three Sig scopes and some other Sig optic when all were failing. Why keep buying them?

On the other poster with the 80% RF that didn’t work at all rate, what? I find it hard to believe they would still be making and selling these if that were a true representation, nobody would be buying them. They get dinged for having slight reticle misalignment on one of their models (and rightfully so) and glass quality on the 3000s was very “meh” but they generally have very positive feedback.

FWIW, I’ve had good experience with them, great bang for buck. Their CS I haven’t had to use for product issues but I have dealt with them for product questions, and aside from enormous phone menus that take an hour to navigate I’ve had a reasonably good experience once I’m talking to someone. It’s frustrating as heck to deal with an hour of boilerplate every time you call, though. Definitely would ding them on the CS side.

No idea on Maven, check the long range hunting websites, lots of people on them use Maven RFs for whatever reason.
When i say luck of the draw you get a Kilo 2200 that might work on practical sized targets to maybe 1200y and next unit that couldn't read past 900y for me that is a huge span to see in couple of units i had tested side by side.

At the time i tested 4 or 5 Kilo2200 i also tested 12 other brands LRFs , in one session of tripod with cca 2-3moa metal gongs spread out on the range 700-1600y

Seling crap always works as 95+% of the buyers rarely use their gear, know jack shit, wouldn't know if their unit is working or not unless it literally blows up in their hands, and the sub 1% of users that actually use the gear and get into issues can be handled, throw the faulty POS in the bin and send out a new POS, the unlucky SOB even posts rave review on forums how satisfied he is, its much cheaper than anyone wasting a minute to look at what is wrong or even attempt to repair.

based on this review, and in comparison to what Sig Rangefinders can do, I'm still inclined to go with the Maven.

Yeah the Rokslide and LRH guys seem to really like Mavens, but they also don’t tend to even try a lot of the stuff over here. It may be hard to find direct comparisons. At least it’s reassuring there’s a good bit of positive feedback for the Mavens, just like the Sigs. CS may be better on the Maven LRFs in case you need to use it.

ROFL , seriously how many of them you had your hands on , my experience with Sig Kilo , they are typical branded chicom crap with huge variations from unit to unit.If you got lucky it worked to a good range but many were seriously underperforming.I had a chance to test 4 or 5 Killo2200 side by side on same targets and would only buy maybe one of them , and as i do not feel that lucky buying crap id pass.
Zero, I've never fuckin heard of em...

thats-the-joke-ranier-wolfcastle.gif

Sigs, let's see...

I got to review one of the first Kilo 2400 ABS units, I've had hands on a kilo 2000, own a 2200 AB, had hands on multiple Kilo 3000, never seen a single one go down.

You're a sample size of one, it doesn't mean shit.

Woobie, if you're afraid of Sig because of one guy, that's silly, but you can always buy Vortex or Leica which also have solid reputations.

I wouldn't be an early adopter on some brand nobody's heard of.

I know counting past one is hard - but “two” people @LawnMM 🤣

But you are right, my case is anecdotal and “the plural anecdote is not data”.

The tipping point for me is their ludicrous tech support.

My next one will likely be a Vortex, although I am really liking the new one from Gunwerks based on initial promos. 10x w/ integral caps and tripod mount. It’s almost like someone read my wish list........

Sig CS has been great to me. They credited me with a generous amount when they accepted my Sig Tango 6 scope as a return. Although I wouldn't dip my toes in their scope lineup again, their 2400 bdx rangefinder has been exceptional for me with distance/speed.

Zero, I've never fuckin heard of em...

thats-the-joke-ranier-wolfcastle.gif

Sigs, let's see...

I got to review one of the first Kilo 2400 ABS units, I've had hands on a kilo 2000, own a 2200 AB, had hands on multiple Kilo 3000, never seen a single one go down.

You're a sample size of one, it doesn't mean shit.

Woobie, if you're afraid of Sig because of one guy, that's silly, but you can always buy Vortex or Leica which also have solid reputations.

I wouldn't be an early adopter on some brand nobody's heard of.
Not afraid of sig. Video comparisons on real world functioning make it seem like the Maven is superior. I'm lookin for evidence otherwise

I would also note that Maven has been around for a while, and just because you havent heard of them, doesnt mean that "nobody" has.

Yeah the Rokslide and LRH guys seem to really like Mavens, but they also don’t tend to even try a lot of the stuff over here. It may be hard to find direct comparisons. At least it’s reassuring there’s a good bit of positive feedback for the Mavens, just like the Sigs. CS may be better on the Maven LRFs in case you need to use it.
It is difficult! Frustrating haha. It seems that quality control and customer service favors Maven.

And to get back to the heart of the question:

Sig Kilo 5K Specs
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 3.23.11 PM.png

Maven RF.1 Specs

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 3.25.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 3.25.18 PM.png

Beam divergence / RF.1’s emission cone is 2.1mrad wide by 1.5mrad high

Last edited:
Check the Kilo8K, too. I also briefly owned a Revic BR4, which was nice and fast, as well. Not sure on what price point you’re targeting, or if you wanted integrated ballistics or not. Scratch those two if not!

Last edited:
I would also note that Maven has been around for a while, and just because you havent heard of them, doesnt mean that "nobody" has.
I have friends that shoot at the 'Pro' level, I do pretty well myself, and hang with a group of die hard enthusiasts. I also keep my eyes on this site pretty regularly.

If nobody here or in my group has heard of it...

It may as well be nobody. The fact that it's been around and STILL nobody's heard about it hurts it's cred, it doesn't help it. If it was the cats meow everyone would have one or at least be discussing it, they aren't.

That's a clue. But hey, you asked, I answered... if you wanna argue the merits of some unknown piece of gear to convince yourself it's a better purchase, I'm not going to participate. You'll learn that lesson the hard way as countless others have.

Ask the question, then heed the answer.

Lookin at buying either the Maven RF.1 or the Sig Kilo 5K. I'm currently leaning toward the Maven RF.1

Which would you go with and why?
I have the Kilo 2400, not 5K, and like it a lot. The ballistic app is not as reliable as I'd like but the rangefinder has been solid. That being said I also have the Maven. I'd never heard of Maven until running into a guy on an elk hunt (see Mad Scientist BBQ on YouTube and look up his bino review) and he had lots of Maven gear with him. I was so impressed by it that I bought the RF.1 rangefinder as well as replaced a Vortex UHD and Leupold VX5 product with Maven. My Maven rifle scopes have guided me to 11 deer over two years, I am sold on them. Maven optics are some of the best you can buy and as good a value as you can find.