• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maven RS.4 or Burris XTR Pro

bobby1028

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2023
ny
Looking to upgrade the glass on my PRS 22, LH CZ457 w/Lilja barrel. Currently running an EP5...was my first PRS build so I wasn't investing heavily. Clarity and eye box are holding me back now...blind in my right eye so I need to look over/around the ocular to aquire further targets quickly. Budget sub $2000. Good Schott or Japanese glass a requirement, along with an eye box that's easy to reaquire and an uncluttered reticle. Like the reticle and features on the Tract Toric's but the consensus is the eyebox is unforgiving. Reviews taken with a grain of salt but the Mavens are all positive except for the tension on the parallax knob, other than that all good. I can go to Camera land to handle and look thru the XTR...Maven would be sight unseen. Both have enough elevation for my needs and good reticles/illumination...although I prefer the Maven reticle. Any advice, or alternate optics I should look at first would be appreciated.

I've never seen a Maven scope before. I looked through some binos once. Never a scope.

I would think, given it's pedigree, that it's probably right there with all the other Japanese optics. The XRS III, Cronus, Toric, Stryker. etc etc..

With all the QC problems on the XTR Pro, ain’t no fucking way.

Maven makes solid stuff, I’ve had a few of their binos and they were all great. I’d absolutely buy one of their scopes if the features matched what I was looking for.

The Tract 4.5-30 has a tighter eye box than similar scopes but nothing that will stop you in a match. I ran one for a while. The Tract 4-25x50 has a better eye box and 47 mils of elevation. I wouldn't overlook it if you are looking for a PRS22 scope.

One of your concerns needs to be minimum focus distance.
Do you want or need illumination?
What mag range are you looking for?
You might be served with a good 6-24, the advantage there is the 4x erector is more forgiving than a 5 or 6x erector.
The sightron 6-24 PLR might be worth a look.
Note: this is the PLR series

Reactions: JulianD
With all the QC problems on the XTR Pro, ain’t no fucking way.

You'll spend the next 5 years spouting this BS. A few bad scopes with a glue issue doesn't make it true. Less than a handful of scopes returned for dust on the lens, which every optics manufacturer on the planet has run into, does not constitute a QC problem. In fact, after discovering the problem, QC people were able to root out some others before they went out and fix the issue.

It's entirely safe to say you have no idea what you're talking about. All you know is what you read here on the Hide, with absolutely no idea what it looked like in Greeley. This scope has been selling as fast as they can produce it for two years. There's been a few with turret issues and some scope dust. Which is phenomenally good QC and design.

The Pro is an excellent optic made here in the US. And justifiably so, has been a huge success for Burris.

You'll spend the next 5 years spouting this BS. A few bad scopes with a glue issue doesn't make it true. Less than a handful of scopes returned for dust on the lens, which every optics manufacturer on the planet has run into, does not constitute a QC problem. In fact, after discovering the problem, QC people were able to root out some others before they went out and fix the issue.

It's entirely safe to say you have no idea what you're talking about. All you know is what you read here on the Hide, with absolutely no idea what it looked like in Greeley. This scope has been selling as fast as they can produce it for two years. There's been a few with turret issues and some scope dust. Which is phenomenally good QC and design.

The Pro is an excellent optic made here in the US. And justifiably so, has been a huge success for Burris.

Dang, I forgot to sign that with my typical “Burris is trash”.

I’ve owned Burris scopes including XTR’s and I’ve sent back every one of them for one thing or another. The only Burris I still own is on a backup muzzle loader which it’s absolutely fine on because I never use it and likely never will since I don’t hunt with muzzle loaders anymore. If I actually used the thing that one would go down the road too because it was also a replacement.

Also you forgot the anodizing flaking off these “quality” scopes in your list of problems.

I’ve owned Burris scopes including XTR’s and I’ve sent back every one of them for one thing or another. The only Burris I still own is on a backup muzzle loader which it’s absolutely fine on because I never use it and likely never will since I don’t hunt with muzzle loaders anymore. If I actually used the thing that one would go down the road too because it was also a replacement.

Also you forgot the anodizing flaking off these “quality” scopes in your list of problems.

Blah blah. Same old drivel dude.

I dont normally argue with you, because you're an idiot. But briefly and uncensored, you talk out your ass. Constantly. About everything. You need a new schtick. I would bet the farm you're one of those guys that if I looked at tech notes from Burris regarding these multiple returns of yours, I would find out how full of it you are. You bounce all over the Hide spewing crap like this on multiple threads. You're toxic, you're not believable. And I bet you're a hoot at parties.

Stop being such a Karen already..

Last edited:

I dont normally argue with you, because you're an idiot. But briefly and uncensored, you talk out your ass. Constantly. About everything. You need a new schtick. I would bet the farm you're one of those guys that if I looked at tech notes from Burris regarding these multiple returns of yours, I would find out how full of it you are. You bounce all over the Hide spewing crap like this on multiple threads. You're toxic, you're not believable. And I bet you're a hoot at parties.

Funny coming from the guy that only owns Burris, has a few lame Burris videos on YouTube, has a Burris logo, is a Burris shill and their biggest fanboy, yet isn’t even employed. You’re the epitome of closed minded and biased, but your opinion is supposed to be trusted.

There was literally a thread where people were making fun of people like you and scopeeye recently. It’s interesting how I wasn’t mentioned, but I’m the idiot…

Played with the mavens this past weekend at dsc. Super impressive! The turrets, parallax and magnification dials were buttery smooth and the reticle wasn’t bad either. If I needed an optic right now in that price range I’d be all over the mavens. Plus they seem like a very customer service friendly company like when you call you’ll actually have someone answer.

Reactions: 346ci
Funny coming from the guy that only owns Burris, has a few lame Burris videos on YouTube, has a Burris logo, is a Burris shill and their biggest fanboy, yet isn’t even employed. You’re the epitome of closed minded and biased, but your opinion is supposed to be trusted.

There was literally a thread where people were making fun of people like you and scopeeye recently. It’s interesting how I wasn’t mentioned, but I’m the idiot…

Haha!! That first sentence is oozing with envy brother 🤣 And those are the same guys who approach me and every other sponsored shooter and ask how they can get on board.

I actually have lots of optics. Bushnell and Leupy mostly. They have treated me great. Bad assumption is bad.

The folks at Burris are fantastic. They have treated me amazingingly well for years now! I'm a more than proud fanboi and shill for 11 years and counting now. 😉

Yeah that dude loves trashing on Burris hard for some reason, but he gets all offended if you point out Leupolds spotty tracking record.
I think you nailed it.. Pure Karen

I think the ignore button is inferior to just watching him run his mouth, that's the best way to reveal lies and ignorance

Shills hate it when you put a damper in their shilling.

I have the same right to share my dislike for the company and issues as you do to profess your love. It’s a two way street, not sorry that you have an issue with it.

Shills hate it when you put a damper in their shilling.

I have the same right to share my dislike for the company and issues as you do to profess your love. It’s a two way street, not sorry that you have an issue with it.
If you were the least bit honest about it, you would have a point.

I respect your right to have a differing opinion. But Burris has enjoyed amazing success and growth this past decade. Especially these past 5 years as they have moved into higher quality, higher pricepoint optics. Proof in and of itself that you're wrong about them. The reality doesn't match your narrative. People can clearly see that for themselves.

Reactions: 346ci
If you were the least bit honest about it, you would have a point.

I respect your right to have a differing opinion. But Burris has enjoyed amazing success and growth this past decade. Especially these past 5 years as they have moved into higher quality, higher pricepoint optics. Proof in and of itself that you're wrong about them. The reality doesn't match your narrative. People can clearly see that for themselves.

Really, you’re going to question my integrity now because you don’t like what I have to say? You can fuck right off with that. What part have I been dishonest about? Please enlighten me because I have only shared my experience and highlighted other users recent experiences that they’ve posted about that you dismiss every time. You were just telling someone the other day that there’s no way his anodizing flaked off when it did LOL.

Really, you’re going to question my integrity now because you don’t like what I have to say? You can fuck right off with that. What part have I been dishonest about? Please enlighten me because I have only shared my experience and highlighted other users recent experiences that they’ve posted about that you dismiss every time. You were just telling someone the other day that there’s no way his anodizing flaked off when it did LOL.
I don't recall discussing anodizing with anyone.. just the other day you say? What thread was that?

And yes, I think you're dishonest. You're a huge drama queen, you sensationalize everything. And as evidenced by other posters on this thread and others, I'm not the only one that thinks so. People block you. Veteran posters here are well aware of your constant irritating schpiel of heaping vitriol on everything not Redneck approved.

There are times I've dismissed people's complaint's. I have access to the other side of the story, and people aren't always honest. I see it all the time. I also address issues. Such as how many scopes actually had a dust issue, How many broken turrets that Pro has had, the extremely low rate of return that XTR scopes have had over their lengthy run on the market. But oddly enough, you are quick to parrot and sensationalize every Burris mishap while completely choosing to ignore the reality, which I post for people to see. I think that's dishonest, you have an agenda to bash a brand, ignoring the truth in the process.

Last edited:

I'm glad my experiences with Burris have been the complete opposite than yours, A couple XTR Pro's, several XTR3's and2's, and a dozen of their pistol scopes and I've only had to use their warranty a couple of times with pistol scopes ( I've had all brands of pistol scopes fail to heavy recoil) and the customer service good. In a matter of fact, the last scope I sent to Burris was a Stiener M5xi that had the erector let go and they replaced it with a NEW M7xi. Pretty damn good service in my book. Other scope manufactures have not done so well in their warranty dept. with the exception of Vortex, which is no surprise to anyone.

Reactions: FuhQ
I don't recall discussing anodizing with anyone.. just the other day you say? What thread was that?

And yes, I think you're dishonest. You're a huge drama queen, you sensationalize everything. And as evidenced by other posters on this thread and others, I'm not the only one that thinks so. People block you. Veteran posters here are well aware of your constant irritating schpiel of heaping vitriol on everything not Redneck approved.

There are times I've dismissed people's complaint's. I have access to the other side of the story, and people aren't always honest. I see it all the time. I also address issues. Such as how many scopes actually had a dust issue, How many broken turrets that Pro has had, the extremely low rate of return that XTR scopes have had over their lengthy run on the market. But oddly enough, you are quick to parrot and sensationalize every Burris mishap while completely choosing to ignore the reality, which I post for people to see. I think that's dishonest, you have an agenda to bash a brand, ignoring the truth in the process.

Post in thread 'What I Get for Running My Mouth - XTR Pro Issues *Updated*'
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-xtr-pro-issues-updated.7203782/post-11361167

Three days ago, guy had it happen on two separate scopes and you dismissed it like you always do and basically said every company has this. Is your memory that short or do you just block out anything that reflects negatively on Burris?

I’m guessing the latter and that’s dishonest.

Post in thread 'What I Get for Running My Mouth - XTR Pro Issues *Updated*'
https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-xtr-pro-issues-updated.7203782/post-11361167

Three days ago, guy had it happen on two separate scopes and you dismissed it like you always do and basically said every company has this. Is your memory that short or do you just block out anything that reflects negatively on Burris?

I’m guessing the latter and that’s dishonest.

Haha!! I invite everyone to go read this link. This is a perfect example of our boy's selective comprehension.

Cliff Notes: A guy posted he had anodizing flake off the inside of an XTRII. XTRII mind you. He said he's glad he didn't buy an XTRIII because of it.

My response was, I hadn't heard of this occurring in any XTRIIIs. (I said nothing about the XTRII)I said it CAN happen, it can and has happened in all scope makes. But I havent heard of it.

Simple, honest, I hadn't heard of it.

That's me "dismissing" him? Or that's you being a frickin drama queen again and sensationalizing everything?

Last edited:
I'm glad my experiences with Burris have been the complete opposite than yours, A couple XTR Pro's, several XTR3's and2's, and a dozen of their pistol scopes and I've only had to use their warranty a couple of times with pistol scopes ( I've had all brands of pistol scopes fail to heavy recoil) and the customer service good. In a matter of fact, the last scope I sent to Burris was a Stiener M5xi that had the erector let go and they replaced it with a NEW M7xi. Pretty damn good service in my book. Other scope manufactures have not done so well in their warranty dept. with the exception of Vortex, which is no surprise to anyone.

Honestly, that's the extreme majority of folks. They wouldn't be where they are with a 400% growth rate over the last decade without it.

Burris is doing a good job with their products and service. Not perfect, always room for improvement, but overall a very good job.

Reactions: 308pirate
Still... i wish redneck would have gotten them turdnuggets so he could do an honest comparison with the MK4.

Reactions: redneckbmxer24

I have no skin in the game but he’s not wrong. No one can mention Burris without you commenting how awful they are. Your anecdotal experience and what you’ve read from a couple other anecdotal experiences does not statistically hold any merit over all their other scopes. It frankly makes you look ignorant and vindictive.
If they were so awful, there wouldn’t be all the other people using them and being completely satisfied.
I already know your response…”everyone else are morons and don’t have enough expertise to realize they’re looking through trash”
Save it. We’ve all read it from you.

I currently have 3 Xtr pros, and an American xtr3. I have owned 2 more xtr3’s and 1 pro. All have been great so far. The feature set on the pro is great and reliability has been great as well.

I have become a Burris “fanboy” through my experiences with the xtr line.

I'm going through an XTR Pro warranty claim at the moment, and I still don't hold any ill feelings through them. The glass on mine really narrowed the gap between the $2K and $3K scopes IMO. Considering what I paid for mine, it was a home run (until it took a dump obviously). My U.S. made XTR III hits way above its price point too. As long as my repair works, then it is 'no harm, no foul' to me, and I'll continue to recommend them.

I have two XTR IIs still, and yeah, you can tell that you are looking through a scope that sold street price for under a grand. My Viper PST 1-6 is definitely easier to get behind than my XTR II 1-8. That being said, that XTR II of mine has been put through the works riding around on the ranch in a SxS or on a 4-wheeler and it has never lost zero or given me any issues. Therefore it will continue to sit on my backdoor AR - despite my ability to "upgrade" should I want. Same goes for my 3-15 XTR II. It's been on 3 rifles with zero issues, and has found a good forever home on a Grendel.

I'm not a Burris fanboy, but I am a big fan of sub-$1,500 optics that will do everything that I need them to do. For that Burris and Bushnell have given me everything that I've asked of them.

at a 1000 yards or under $400 will do you just as well as $2400. I have mostly Vortex stuff, but I did drop some coin for a NF NX8 and honestly i cant tell a damn bit a difference from 100 to just under a 1000. Best NF feature is they're damn hard to break and really hold their zero well under abuse, but thats about it. And as far as warranty you can smash your vortex, tell them you smashed it and they'll fix or overnight one back in a couple of days, and thats forever and you even get the lifetime warranty if you bought it used.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
at a 1000 yards or under $400 will do you just as well as $2400. I have mostly Vortex stuff, but I did drop some coin for a NF NX8 and honestly i cant tell a damn bit a difference from 100 to just under a 1000. Best NF feature is they're damn hard to break and really hold their zero well under abuse, but thats about it. And as far as warranty you can smash your vortex, tell them you smashed it and they'll fix or overnight one back in a couple of days, and thats forever and you even get the lifetime warranty if you bought it used.
At 600 yards you could make any more use of my NX8 than you could with my Viper PSTII. About all you could do is drop them over and over and the viper would die first but thats it.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
At 600 yards you could make any more use of my NX8 than you could with my Viper PSTII. About all you could do is drop them over and over and the viper would die first but thats it.
That's cuz the NX8 is an optical disaster, use any other quality scope and you'll see a noticeable difference in clarity etc.

Reactions: jumrobe
I've owned an RS.4, my buddy currently has one on his rimfire, and I know a bunch of guys who shoot with Burris XTR3s and Pros. A lot of guys in my region are winning regional PRS matches on the regular with Burris XTR Pros. Out of all the matches in 2023 in the Rocky Mountain Region, I'd guess that 20% were won with them, including the regional finale, and none of those wins were by sponsored Burris shooters, just guys shooting what they'd bought with their hard earned money. They're both great. I'd give a nod to the Burris for eyebox and field of view, and having the turret come off for writing on is a really nice feature at matches.

As to the hate on Burris from redneckbmxer - I've personally had a Vortex Viper PST crap the bed on me with tracking and RTZ issues. I've had a GA Precision rifle show up at my house with a loose barrel. It also had a failure on the bolt shroud. I know a guy whose Lone Peak Fuzion bolt shroud spins sometimes. I've had a berger 105s blow up down range and cost me a match win. I've had Alpha brass rupture on me once. I've had a Kahles k525i that the illumination crapped out whenever dialed past 50%. I've had a bix'n andy trigger freeze up on me. One of my buddies had a TriggerTech Diamond stop working. I've had a million issues with KRG chassis not working with a given magazine. I've had an SWFA whose whole elevation turret screwed off. Stuff craps the bed sometimes. Most of the time, it's outliers. And some people refuse to shut their traps and feel a deep compulsion to tell everyone out there to never ever use an item that had a failure on them. I still use bergers. I still use Alpha Brass, I still recommend GA Precision. I still use Vortex Products. I still liked that Kahles other than the reticle, I still prefer Bix'n Andy over TriggerTech, and I use KRG exclusively, as I've figured out mag latch tuning and I love their ergonomics.

Burris is fine. Maven is fine. Buy what suits you, and what you can get a good price on.

This thread went off track in a hurry ! No matter, appreciate all the input. Really like the reticle in the RS.4 , uncluttered, easy to break it down quickly...leaning in that direction . Keep everyone posted with a review...

Reactions: Birddog6424
This thread went off track in a hurry ! No matter, appreciate all the input. Really like the reticle in the RS.4 , uncluttered, easy to break it down quickly...leaning in that direction . Keep everyone posted with a review...
Yes. Maybe we need a sticky for every manufacturer so we all can go there to crap on them and keep the new threads clean? Just a thought.

• Haha
And as far as warranty you can smash your vortex, tell them you smashed it and they'll fix or overnight one back in a couple of days, and thats forever and you even get the lifetime warranty if you bought it used.

Vortex has done amazing things for optics. The GenII Razor was the best value on the market for years. Their warranty raised the bar for every manufacturer, and the consumer is the winner.

I do believe they no longer replace it though if you confess to intentionally destroying it 🤣

Reactions: EBB
Vortex has done amazing things for optics. The GenII Razor was the best value on the market for years. Their warranty raised the bar for every manufacturer, and the consumer is the winner.

I do believe they no longer replace it though if you confess to intentionally destroying it 🤣
Not sure on that, this was a couple years back, but you're right, they really did set a pretty high standard for everyone else to compete with.

That's cuz the NX8 is an optical disaster, use any other quality scope and you'll see a noticeable difference in clarity etc.
Really? I've heard some stories with the SHV, but not the NX8. I know its japanese glass which is supposed to be really good these days. I've never compared to to anything other than the Vortex, but If you're familiar with it, then i've learned something new for the day.

Really? I've heard some stories with the SHV, but not the NX8. I know its japanese glass which is supposed to be really good these days. I've never compared to to anything other than the Vortex, but If you're familiar with it, then i've learned something new for the day.
People like to dog on the NX8, and I thinks it's mostly Internet echo chamber. The turrets aren't super crisp, but all else seems to be fine, or works like a $2k MSRP optic, especially the 4-32. Don't expect atacr performance at sub ATACR prices, and you'll be plenty happy with it.

Reactions: TheSunPope and EBB
The 8x erector makes for a finicky experience to say the least! I was really underwhelmed with my 4-32 and sold it off.
I have scopes that I paid $700 for that crushed it glass wise, it competes with $1000 optics not 2k plus.

Both great options, I almost jumped on a Maven, but I found a great deal on an XTR Pro from midway when they selling Burris 20% for a week. 2k for an American made scope, cant beat that. I've been a Burris user for the last decade and have a pair of the XTR IIIs on other guns. The only time I've had an issue, was an item was missing from a scope box, and within a week Burris had it in my hand.