• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maverick Sandman L or Nomad 30

Mojo0254

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
Need some opinions here. Most of my shooting will be done without a spotter so I need to be able to try and spot my own shots. For this I went with 6GT over 6.5 creedmoor. Most of my shooting will just be at the range plinking but I hope to shoot 1 or 2 PRS matches a year. Should I go with the area 419 maverick and use the brake on it for comps and suppressor for the range or go with the nomad 30 and use it for the range but have a different brake for comps? I figured I might as well add in the Sandman L with its QD and brake as well. Oh and having never had a suppressor how far above my barrel does my scope need to be assuming a coke tac suppressor cover as well?

Last edited:
If you are deciding on Nomad30 or SandmanL, you have to decide if length of diameter (girth) is important. If you want the shortest can go with the Nomad30 but that will also increase the diameter to 1.75". The SandmanL will be longer but have a 1.5" diameter. OR you could get the best of both worlds and do a Nomad30 L. This will ultimately be the quietest.

Reactions: Mojo0254
This^^^^
As I understand it length (number of baffles) is the bigger driver of sound suppression.

I bought the Nomad-L plus e-brake for that very reason.

It’s still in jail. I think I’ll love the quiet but I may hate the extra length and weight, but they all tell me I’ll get another can or three anyways.....

Just a heads up from experience. I will say that I bought the E-brake for my Nomad30 and noticed zero difference in dB levels or rifle stability. I have recently sold it. Adds about an extra inch on for no value.

Also, as a new reloader I learned I can tune my 6.5cm load to recoil not much more than my factory match 6cm ammo. 130 vs 140 gr projectile and 2,800 vs 2,850 fps.

You can use the keymo adapter and brakes to QD the nomad too. That's what I've got.

You shouldn't need to worry about scope height unless you're running really low magnification.

I don't know much about the maverick except that its designed for PRS kind of stuff. I would think based on the design it would be the loudest.

The sandman is the "strongest" with the tube and stelite baffles. Unless you're full auto or have a crazy heavy firing schedule you done need it. Not bad to have though.

The nomad is plenty tough for bolt guns and some quick semi auto stuff, just don't try to melt it down. when I was picking mine I figured it was about the second length and weight as the sandman, but a little fatter, so more volume means less decibels. It's hearing safe for me on all my stuff.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am less worried about length and weight and more effectiveness and the maverick was a thought due to versatility

I use a variety of cans from the Ultra 7, Ultra 9, Omegas, Hybrid, sandman k, and a few others. I recently got my Maverick out of jail and it is my favorite now. In its long configuration it is just as quiet as any other full length suppressor I've used and then you have the short configuration to maximize performance in a comp.

So I would get the Maverick and use the long config when practicing and plinking, and then switch to the short config before a comp.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
For bolt action, I'd go Nomad or Maverick. Either will be good cans so pick which one fits your fancy. Want a braked suppressor - Maverick. Want the cheaper one - Nomad. For a long range bolt gun I would recommend a Nomad LT rather than regular Nomad.

Other than the above it'll be whichever you can find in stock. Not all configs of the Maverick are in stock.

I use a variety of cans from the Ultra 7, Ultra 9, Omegas, Hybrid, sandman k, and a few others. I recently got my Maverick out of jail and it is my favorite now. In its long configuration it is just as quiet as any other full length suppressor I've used and then you have the short configuration to maximize performance in a comp.

So I would get the Maverick and use the long config when practicing and plinking, and then switch to the short config before a comp.
Do you see much POI shift going from long to short?

Do you see much POI shift going from long to short?
only went from short to long and then back to short once so sample size is very small, but yes their was a bit of a poi shift with mine. I took some pictures on my phone, I will look through it this evening and see if I can find them. I was shooting an electronic target at 600yds at the time, it was maybe .2 mils difference. I'll post back later if I find the pics.

Took my 24" 6.5CM with Sandman S, Sandman Ti (It's like the L but Ti tube and DT.) and Nomad Ti out and put 5 rounds through each. I couldn't tell a damn bit of difference. The S MAY, have been a little louder to my ears. So it basically comes down to main use, and possible secondary use.

If primary use is bolt gun, I would look at any of the Nomad line. If you may hunt with it, then definitely the Ti, maybe LT. AR use, with heavy firing schedule I would get a Sandman S. If bolt gun and light precision use in an AR I would go with the Nomad 30.