• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision MAWL issues? Fire buttons torn.

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Anyone had issues with their MAWL units? Specifically the fire buttons? Mine get's used and not abused, mostly demo use. One of the guys using it a couple weeks back had on some super aggressive gloves or something.
    One fire button was scuffed and torn, the other scuffed and appeared to start to tear.

Got a RA from B.E. Meyers and they received it. Will see how this goes.

Ha, with the luck I've had lately I'd have to agree with you.

Anyone had issues with their MAWL units? Specifically the fire buttons? Mine get's used and not abused, mostly demo use. One of the guys using it a couple weeks back had on some super aggressive gloves or something.
    One fire button was scuffed and torn, the other scuffed and appeared to start to tear.

Got a RA from B.E. Meyers and they received it. Will see how this goes.
    There were some guys on Youtube that laughed at me when I posted that was one of the issues with it. Thought I was just Poo Pooing the unit. Sorry you are having failures. For a unit that dang pricey you would think it should be a more rugged and durable design. Just wait till the plastic bezel starts to wear out and starts free wheeling around. Pot luck on what you are set on. IR, Vis Point or closed window.

For a unit that was "praised by many retailers" it does have some issues. I guess having a somewhat decent Illuminator compared to the weak sauce civi units was just such a great thing, that many jumped on the wagon.

Just an FYI...I believe the propeller cap has just been redesigned to mitigate the free spinning issue/associated battery drain that some users have experienced. The new design does not look like it allows for upgrading the previous version.

Last edited:
    Reactions: WhereNow&How
    @DownRangeThermal . That is great information to now know. I am sure the community thanks you very much for that update.

B. E. Myers has been making & supplying Military Spec equipment to Uncle Sugar for a good while now. For them to put out a defective design given their experience is pretty disheartening. Worse yet is not making it right with the guys whom shelled out big money for devices. Some how, some way, B.E. Myers should be on the hook for getting past buyers devices updated/swapped out or something so they have solid units that they do not have to worry about having silly failures.

Have you had an issue with a unit not being repaired? My experience with BE Meyers on the LE side of customer service has been outstanding.
    No, I have never even owned a MAWL. I am sure their customer service is great.

What I am saying is that any Gen 1 design defects that were easily observable in the Gen 1 devices that are now being addressed/changed/fixed in a Gen 2 device should flow through to the Gen 1 buyers whom layed out big money for a device that should not have had those design defects to start out with.

No, I have never even owned a MAWL. I am sure their customer service is great.

What I am saying is that any Gen 1 design defects that were easily observable in the Gen 1 devices that are now being addressed/changed/fixed in a Gen 2 device should flow through to the Gen 1 buyers whom layed out big money for a device that should not have had those design defects to start out with.

Who's to say they're not? I wouldn't expect them to swap out every unit for issues that may not ever come up but if the end user has an problem that an update fixed it should be repaired or replaced with the updated part or unit.

It sounds like you're wanting to get bent out of shape over a hypothetical

@newguy2k3v2 I can assure you I am not bent out of shape in the least. I did not buy one. :)

This issue is definitely not hypothetical or Meyers would not be redesigning the device to correct the problems, now would they ?

Lemon Laws both State & Federal are too complicated and variable to go into here, but they shed further light on design defects.

I am just stating a fact that multi-million dollar corporations that have a long experience track record and hopefully top design engineers that build devices (some people) might stake their lives on from time to time should not make silly design and usability defects that should have been readily apparent by "looking under the hood" so to speak versus looking at the "shine". No pun intended.:)

If that would have been a Chinese made device, a lot of people would be screaming, well that's to be expected from buying cheap Chinese products. Yet this is a $2,600 ish higher end device that people shelled out good money expecting a solid trouble free device. It sure has been touted as the best thing since sliced bread by some of the dealers, especially over on ARFCOM and still is (as lately as today) and not one single mention at all of the design issues with the Gen 1 version. Not even a whisper. :sneaky:

So if the, lets call it (Gen 1 version) has known design defects that Myers deemed serious enough to redesign to correct, does that mean Gen I buyers should have to live forever with a device that contains a known design defect just because it hasn't broken yet and keep hoping it doesn't 5, 8 etc years from now. ?

The really important thing DRT stated was: "The new design does not look like it allows for upgrading the previous version."

So what do Gen 1 folks do. Keep repeatedly sending them in to fix the same problem over and over when they fail? Hows that gonna work out 5, 10 etc years from now ?

DRT is the very first Retailer that I have seen even acknowledge the design defect and redesign. Kudos and much respect for him for informing the public. (y)

I seriously hope that all Gen I buyers are made whole somehow, such that they end up with the product they thought and hoped they paid for that they no longer have to worry about failing. If I owned one, that is what I would expect. YMMV.

To sum up my thoughts into one statement: These kind of design and reliability issues are "unbecoming and unexpected" from a Top Tier company like Myers.

I dont think nor did I say it is a defect. I have 3 of them with zero issues and they have seen hard use and been treated like shit. Have also sold a fair amount to LE Agencies and the issues with the propeller cap have been extremely rare. That is the honest truth.

I think companies (all of the laser manufacturers) often see things they can rework to make their products more robust and improve them. I simply saw you brought up the propeller cap and wanted to pass on to you that I believe it is being redesigned because of feedback they had received.

BE Meyers is a family run business that can quickly adapt to feedback and they make excellent gear.

Reactions: MarinePMI
    It just seems likes you're going on and on about them making incremental improvements and early adopters being screwed but it doesn't seem that you or anyone else has suggested that's happening. Much ado about nothing.

Reactions: jwramp
    @DownRangeThermal No you did not state it was a defect. That was completely my labeling of the problem. I do not think I said, nor did I intend to imply that you ever called it a Design Defect.

I have spent better than 30 years involved in designing and constructing items in several fields. Albeit, very limited in regards to electronics or anything similar to this device. I did assist with the design of a Laser Beam Receiving Installation Package for a Machine Control System back in 1985-86. In fact I took some of the manufactures devices and rigged up a system for a completely different machine than they had even contemplated and they liked my "red neck" engineering enough to take my design and perfect it.

I am also well seasoned and formally Certified in certain areas of Quality Control that involve millions of dollars of product. There are 3 main phases to regular Quality Control.

1. Preparatory
    2. Initial
    3. Follow Up

However, the end user use of a product that breaks or does not hold up to the normal use as intended which is ultimately redesigned to improve, modify or change the design to eliminate those failures are in the world I have worked in commonly known and labeled as a Design Defect.

Meyers has entered the Follow Up Phase now with correcting the issue. My only hope is that the "Gen 1 version" purchasers are made truly whole for the hard earned money they spent to make their purchase/s. I do have considerable reason to believe at this point in time that Myers will see to it that occurs. They have a pretty stellar reputation.

I am glad the issues are being recognized and addressed. That is definitely a step in the right direction.

It just seems likes you're going on and on about them making incremental improvements and early adopters being screwed but it doesn't seem that you or anyone else has suggested that's happening. Much ado about nothing.

So, the OP opened this thread with.

Anyone had issues with their MAWL units? Specifically the fire buttons? Mine get's used and not abused, mostly demo use.

All I have done is explain some of my assessment of the situation.

In fact you can read for yourself what I posted over 7 months ago on a Youtube evaluation of the unit. You will clearly see what I stated way back then is being confirmed right here. But I digress. Hope it all works out.

It sounds like the updates they've made address durability issues, not sudden catastrophic failures. They're two different types of failure. I don't think it's reasonable for be to be expected to fix something that isn't broke everytime there is an incremental improvements to new product.

It sounds like the updates they've made address durability issues, not sudden catastrophic failures. They're two different types of failure. I don't think it's reasonable for be to be expected to fix something that isn't broke everytime there is an incremental improvements to new product.
    Ok, I promise you I am not trying to be a horses ass or be confrontational but ponder the following scenario.

These units (MAWL -C) are readily purchased by LEO, (per dealer post right here). These are people who put their lives and others on the line.

So now, there is always the first time that the front bezel or selector buttons break, screw up, etc. However you want to label or characterize that.

So Officer Joe T Swat is out on a situation under NODS. Encounters a dangerous armed PERP meaning to do him or others harm. At the magic moment of truth, Officer Joe T Swat hits his button to engage Joe Shit The Thug PERP that is intent on shooting him or others. But holy shit, no IR light to make shot cause plastic bezel "done shit the bed tonight" for the very first time during my unfortunate moment of truth and it rotated (free wheeled) into a closed position and in that split second of failure Joe Shit The Armed Thug Perp outdrawed me and done killed me.

So, would that not be a Catastrophic failure with the utmost price to pay ?

So in conclusion, while it is not necessarily that big of a failure for Joe Shit The Hog Hunter, it could be the ultimate Catastrophic failure for Joe T. Swat officer.

This design issue is simple to understand and fix.

But again, I digress. I really don't have a dog in this race.

Little update: I was contacted by B.E. Meyers. The fire buttons are not user replaceable and even though my unit is in mint condition and right at 1year from purchase date................it is not covered under warranty. (Understand, so what are my options beyond that?)

The only option at this point is to purchase a new mid section. They did offer a "glue the rubber fire button procedure" however it was noted that unit would not be "mil spec" and or what I took as waterproof any longer.

I asked them to quote the mid section just out of curiosity. Not real sure what I'll end up doing with this.

@GUNNER75 Man that SUCKS big time. I do feel your pain. Will be very interesting and enlightening to see the final outcome. From what you have reported thus far, in appears like you are not being treated anywhere near fair.

Phil Collins still has pain from what his first wife did to him. It really comes on out for the astute observer during the second half of this performance. He is an absolute beast on the drums. Drums are a great way to release some anger and frustration.

Please keep us updated on this situation.

"Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
    I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am
    Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes
    So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been
    It's all been a pack of lies"

Reactions: GUNNER75
    Just received a phone call from B.E. Meyers. To this point I am very pleased with the customer service. Hope to see my MAWL back soon!

Some more details about the solution and if any costs to (owner) might be helpful and appreciated to know for others that may face the same issue.

My MAWL should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to finishing this up and get back up and running.

ok so whats the secret, my gen one free wheels was told 200 or so to fix it, I use for work and playing shake the rifle until I get some kind of light is not a great option in high stress situations

ok so whats the secret, my gen one free wheels was told 200 or so to fix it, I use for work and playing shake the rifle until I get some kind of light is not a great option in high stress situations
    Ditch it and get a FP Dbal A3 as I assume you have the authority to get that done if you use it for work.

The instant ability to go Vis Point and white light is important on a "work gun". Plus the Dbal A3 is a proven workhorse that does not have all of the failures/issues that the MAWL has.