• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max elevation travel on scopes?

obx22

Troubleshooter
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2020
N.C.
Does anyone have a list of scopes under $1000. in
1 in tube
30 mm tube
34 mm & larger tubes
by elevation adjustment range?
Outlaw NRL22-X/PRS Rimfire has opened a whole new world to me in scopes beyond Silhouette and Benchrest. Now I’m reviewing my hunting guns as well, it’d be nice in comparison shopping.

Easier if you just put up your needs and price range and you will get a lot of info. Generic lists don't really do much as you can just look at scope maker's sites and get that info.

1 in tube
30 mm tube
34 mm & larger tubes
Outlaw NRL22-X/PRS Rimfire has opened a whole new world to me in scopes beyond Silhouette and Benchrest. Now I’m reviewing my hunting guns as well, it’d be nice in comparison shopping.
The larger the tube, the more adjustment you get. I have changed all of my rimfire to Vortex Strike Eagle 5X25X56 https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-5-25x56-ffp.htm They have 110 MOA/31 Mils. 34mm tube for $700 or less. I used Burris XTR Signature rings. With the inserts, I am at the bottom of the adjust of the scope ( 50 yds zero) and have the full range of the scope. I can dial to 500yds. This scope has a lot features, you see in much higher $ scopes. IMO you can't get a better scope in your price range
Mark

Easier if you just put up your needs and price range and you will get a lot of info. Generic lists don't really do much as you can just look at scope maker's sites and get that info.
Needs: Scopes for hunting and target, with as much elevation as possible in the 3 listed tube sizes, at under a $1k.
A 30-34mm tube might overwhelm a diminutive built rimfire, but look and perform exceptional on a rimfire chambered full size action.
I would think most folks would know the range of travel of they’re own sub-$1K scope, hopefully a hive mind could put together such a useful list.
With such a list, surely the cream of the budget crop will rise to the top?

The larger the tube, the more adjustment you get. I have changed all of my rimfire to Vortex Strike Eagle 5X25X56 https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-5-25x56-ffp.htm They have 110 MOA/31 Mils. 34mm tube for $700 or less. I used Burris XTR Signature rings. With the inserts, I am at the bottom of the adjust of the scope ( 50 yds zero) and have the full range of the scope. I can dial to 500yds. This scope has a lot features, you see in much higher $ scopes. IMO you can't get a better scope in your price range
Mark
Thanks Mark, I too am a S.E. fan, was wondering if any other mfg had reached or surpassed those specs at that price point.
Also, if cheekpiece of a sporter or action size dictates a smaller scope, what would give the best compromise in say, a 1” or 30mm tube?
Imagine dropping a StrikeEagle on a Steyr Zephyr 2 or Browning T-bolt, kinda like a scope wearing a rifle!
Thoughts?

1 in tube
30 mm tube
34 mm & larger tubes
Look into the Arken SH4 Gen2 scopes... They have some the most elevation adjustment in their class (108.8 MOA / 32 MILs), and they're under $500. And right now use the code #GoBrandon and you get $100 off and free shipping. You can buy 2 of the Arkens for 1 of the Strike Eagles. 😉

I have a new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C scope, as well as 2 Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes, and comparing them side-by-side extensively, I would say they are nearly equal in quality, even though they are very different in function. Both have pros and cons. But glass quality is very similar, both have 34mm tubes, both have great reticles (I really like the Arken VPR MIL reticle), etc... The Arken has better turrets, but the SE has locking turrets. I'd just research both, and see which one fits your bill better.

Reactions: obx22
The SWFA 3-15x42 has a 30mm tube and offers 40 mil (about 140 MOA) of elevation for $700. I don't know if that's the most in the price range, but it's gotta be right up there.

Reactions: D_TROS and obx22
The SWFA 3-15x42 has a 30mm tube and offers 40 mil (about 140 MOA) of elevation for $700. I don't know if that's the most in the price range, but it's gotta be right up there.
SWFA also make SS in 10X, 12X, 16X, and 20X with 110moa or 30 mils for $300. I have a 20X great scopes.
Mark

Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 30mm tube. 85 MOA
Athlon Midas Tac 5-25 34mm tube. 110 MOA
Vortex Venom 5-25 34mm tube. 85 MOA

Reactions: obx22
I have a new Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C scope, as well as 2 Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes, and comparing them side-by-side extensively, I would say they are nearly equal in quality, even though they are very different in function. Both have pros and cons. But glass quality is very similar, both have 34mm tubes, both have great reticles (I really like the Arken VPR MIL reticle), etc... The Arken has better turrets, but the SE has locking turrets. I'd just research both, and see which one fits your bill better.

I am looking for a lesser scope to put on a 10/22 I just bought for my wife.

I have the opportunity to pick up a deal on Strike Eagle. If the Arken and Strike Eagle were only $100 apart would you go with the Vortex or still consider the Arken? I have a Viper on my precision rifle. By locking turrets are you referring to the ability to set a zero point or have it lock at the zero point?

I have the opportunity to pick up a deal on Strike Eagle. If the Arken and Strike Eagle were only $100 apart would you go with the Vortex or still consider the Arken? I have a Viper on my precision rifle. By locking turrets are you referring to the ability to set a zero point or have it lock at the zero point?

Locking turrets means that they pop up and you spin them and then if you want to lock them somewhere you push it down and the turret won't spin. It's a nice feature especially on the windage knob that gets bumped.

Warning, short novel incoming... 😂

Rob did a great job above explaining the locking turrets. See his post above.

If they were equally priced, I would say look at the features list, and see which one fits your bill better. They are both great scopes, and the glass is pretty equal through my eyes, and they both have 34mm tubes, both have great zero-stops (the Arken also has noticeably more adjustment after setting your ZS, compared to the Vortex RevStop), they both have nice turrets, they both have a smooth accurate parallax ring, both are built really solid, they both have a lifetime warranty, both have good customer service, but the Arken does have a Precision Tracking Guarantee, where the Vortex does not. So that is something else to consider. The Vortex has a 56mm obj. and the Arken is a 50mm. Honestly, there's not a huge difference, but one does naturally let in slightly more light than the other, based on sheer size alone. Both come with a sunshade. The Strike Eagle comes with a throw lever, but no bubble. However, right now, if you buy an Arken at full price, you can add their $169 Precision Pack with a set of their HALO rings (which are actually really nice), throw lever, bubble level, scope caps, etc... and use the code: SAVE$170 and get it all for free + free shipping. So, there is that... Like I said, they each have pro's and con's... Figure out what you can and can't live without, and then go that direction. Either way, I think you'd be happy.

Personally, with the deals going on at Arken, I would still go for the Arken, because you get a TON of free stuff buying an Arken at full price of $449. Both are great scopes. I have both. And being that I feel that they are both so equal in quality, I don't see you really losing anything to the Strike Eagle, except the locking caps on the turrets, and only 6mm (1/4") in objective lens size. But you gain more adjustment, a Precision Tracking Guarantee, and a bunch of free stuff right now before 12/31.

I like both the Vortex EBR-7C and the Arken VPR reticles. They are both great reticles. I will say this, the illumination spots on the Arken reticle is better (in my opinion), but the brightness of it is definitely lacking for daytime use. The Vortex definitely has the brighter illumination for sure.

In the end, it is your money. I just ordered my 3rd Arken SH4 6-24x50 VPR MIL two days ago, and it will be here on Monday.

Honestly, 10/22's being a semi-auto, are not known for being supremely accurate, even with high-end expensive barrels, compared to a bolt-action with less moving parts (just like a bolt-action vs. an AR15). They are more designed for hunting and fun shooting (100 yards and less, maybe try to stretch it out to 200 for fun?), than they are for precision shooting and competition. That being said, I would opt for the cheaper Arken, as I feel it would be a better fit for that particular gun's use.

Bottom line... Both scopes have the ability to do WAY more than a 10/22 is capable of performing, even if you're shooting out to 200 yards, so I don't think you can go wrong either way...The gun and ammo will be your limitation, not the optics. I think you'll be just fine with the cheaper Arken. But that is simply my opinion, whatever that is worth to you. In the end, it's still your money.

Last edited:
Locking turrets means that they pop up and you spin them and then if you want to lock them somewhere you push it down and the turret won't spin. It's a nice feature especially on the windage knob that gets bumped.
It's a very nice feature, and I like locking turrets. The turrets on my SE 5-25x56 are really nice, but just like anything mechanical, there is the potential for failure, resulting in you having to ride the pine, instead of finishing the game with your friends... Sitting the bench always sucks. 😂

It's a very nice feature, and I like locking turrets. The turrets on my SE 5-25x56 are really nice, but just like anything mechanical, there is the potential for failure, resulting in you having to ride the pine, instead of finishing the game with your friends... Sitting the bench always sucks. 😂
Can be said for any feature on any scope. The feature is used on the Razors and I have been using them since they came out and never had to ride the pine. It's a simple feature. You don't need to use it and just leave them up.

Also if your Strike Eagle doesn't track Vortex will take care of you as well. Vortex wrote the book on taking care of their customers.

Reactions: FuhQ
Can be said for any feature on any scope. The feature is used on the Razors and I have been using them since they came out and never had to ride the pine. It's a simple feature. You don't need to use it and just leave them up.
Absolutely. Anything can fail, that's why I like robust optics, instead of lightweight stuff... Lighter weight means thinner parts and less material, because I doubt they're making erectors out of titanium. 😂

Honestly, 10/22's being a semi-auto, are not known for being supremely accurate, even with high-end expensive barrels, compared to a bolt-action with less moving parts (just like a bolt-action vs. an AR15). They are more designed for hunting and fun shooting (100 yards and less, maybe try to stretch it out to 200 for fun?), than they are for precision shooting and competition. That being said, I would opt for the cheaper Arken, as I feel it would be a better fit for that particular gun's use.
THanks for all the great info. I realize the 10/22 is limited but I go suckered into it because the price was right..... then to find out to make it shootable I need put more into it than I paid for the gun new, $290.

I am hoping having a scoped gun will help my wife get enthusiastic about shooting scoped. She was supposed to attend a precision class with me but had to cancel for a family emergency. Her favorite gun is the MP15-22 so this will be a step up in precision. If she gets into precision stuff she can move up to my outfitted CZ and i can buy the Vudoo I want.

THanks for all the great info. I realize the 10/22 is limited but I go suckered into it because the price was right..... then to find out to make it shootable I need put more into it than I paid for the gun new, $290.

I am hoping having a scoped gun will help my wife get enthusiastic about shooting scoped. She was supposed to attend a precision class with me but had to cancel for a family emergency. Her favorite gun is the MP15-22 so this will be a step up in precision. If she gets into precision stuff she can move up to my outfitted CZ and i can buy the Vudoo I want.
Gotcha! 👍🏼 Trust me, I know it sounded like I'm hating, but I have a fully-customized 10/22... Got it 20 years ago for $100 bill BNIB. Old wood stock, sporter barrel, and iron sights. Ugly thing! 😂 I was working at the gun store and a guy bought it for his son if he got good grades...Needless to say, he didn't get good grades. So he brought it into the store to trade it in. Owner said he'd give him $100 for it since a brand new basic wood sporter model was only $169 back then, and the guy said no. So, I followed him out to his truck, and said how much you want CASH? He said, "I'll take the $100 bill, I just didn't want to sell it to him for that so he can resale it and make a big profit." So I bought it. And then started modding it the next day at work at the gun store.

Currently, the only thing left original is the receiver and the bolt body. Everything else is all Valquartsen internals and upgrades, a Valquartsen carbon fiber match barrel (threaded for suppressor) and it's got my old Zeiss 3-12x56 30mm FFP sitting in a set of Seekins Precision rings, on an EGW 20MOA base. WAY overkill for a .22LR, but one hell of a squirrel setup...Especially with my Dead Air Mask. 😂

Even with all damn money tied up into it, and a $1,500 scope on top, it's still shooting ~1" groups @ 100 yards, even with quality ammo. They're just not supremely accurate. Whereas, my Christensen Arms Ranger 22 (bolt-action) will regularly put down sub-1/2 MOA groups @ 100, and shot a 1.2" group @ 200 yards with bulk CCI Standard Velocity 1070 FPS ammo. It's ridiculous.

That's what I was getting at by the 10/22 being the limitation... You can put a $5,000 scope on it, but it's only gonna do what it's gonna do. 👍🏼

Reactions: Photobug
Gotcha! 👍🏼 Trust me, I know it sounded like I'm hating, but I have a fully-customized 10/22... Got it 20 years ago for $100 bill BNIB. Old wood stock, sporter barrel, and iron sights. Ugly thing! 😂 I was working at the gun store and a guy bought it for his son if he got good grades...Needless to say, he didn't get good grades. So he brought it into the store to trade it in. Owner said he'd give him $100 for it since a brand new basic wood sporter model was only $169 back then, and the guy said no. So, I followed him out to his truck, and said how much you want CASH? He said, "I'll take the $100 bill, I just didn't want to sell it to him for that so he can resale it and make a big profit." So I bought it. And then started modding it the next day at work at the gun store.

Currently, the only thing left original is the receiver and the bolt body. Everythig elseope on it, but it's only gonna do what it's gonna do. 👍🏼
By far the limiting factor of anything we shoot is the finger on the trigger. I have been shooting 50+ years with a 35 year break, my wife has been shooting less than a year.

I have about $100 in parts coming for the 10/22, I probably won't put much more into it as you said it is what it is and putting $1000+ in parts into it is still a 10/22. However putting a $5000 scope on it means I now have a nice scope to put on a worthy rifle when I own it. The scope on my CZ retails for 2-3x the gun it sits on but at least I have a $1000+ scope, I am still the limiting factor.

Reactions: FuhQ