• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max Length Brass

H5N1

Sergeant
Minuteman
This morning I shoot a ten shot group at 100yds, for some unknown reason and end up with two groups. One center target and one 8in low and 6in left! So I puzzeled thinking "first time with this Triad rear bag, mabe I'm releasing the bag or some NPA issue". When I'm done(50rounds) and real confused, I notice the brass is "skinned up" on the end like it was to long and shure enough it was way to long. Could this brass length caused this? This was strange!

Re: Max Length Brass

we need more info, caliber shooting, bullets, brass length..................

If the case mouth was jammed / bottomed out into the end of the neck of the chamber this could / would cause some erratic pressure signs / velocity differences. If you’re doing your part behind the rifle, double grouping is typically caused by seating depth issues or an out of tune load. Trim your case necks and retest.

.243 95gr.Berger VLD 42.0gr.IMR4350 3005fps avg.Lapua brass COAL 2.808
It all started with a POS seating die that would throw seating depths .030 either way. so during load development the ones in the "to short" group of bullets shot the best group. .017-.020 off the lands.1in at 300yds. So I bought new dies and did it again, didnt trim the case and they bottomed out, I think I got some 3rd time brass in this batch. .050-.060 past max case length. cant remember the # off hand. But the case mouths were definetly jammed.
Now I've got New Lapua brass same load at COAL 2.708 goin to 300 in the morning.
I'm not a pro, but I live on my range. I've never seen anything like that before. Just hoping it was the brass

Thanks for the help as always,