• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max OAL for reliable magazine feeding in .308 AICS

darkvibe

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
www.nyfirearms.com
I have a remington 700 .308 in an AICS. I was hoping to run a little over max OAL but it looks as if I need to go shorter if I want to use a detachable magazine.

I was hoping to run 2.86" but that didn't work. I went down to 2.80" and it's better but still has a few issues.

What overall length can you reliably feed from the detachable magazine in your AICS?

edit: I'm using 175 gr. SMKs

Re: Max OAL for reliable magazine feeding in .308 AICS

2.860-2.865" max oal on the 10rd mags
2.90" max oal on the 5rd mags

if i remember correctly.

The 5 round mag is more reliable than the 10 round mag for me.

The bullets catch on the bottom of the action, below the feed ramp maybe 20% of the time.

This is where they catch. Should the front of the mag well be that far in front of the action?

aisc.jpg

Looks the exact same as mine. You have everything torqued correctly (53in/lbs)? Maybe its a problem with the mags? Feed lips? Someone else can surely chime in better than I.

Is it the bullet catching there or the case?

It is torqued to the specs that shipped with the chassis. 53 in-lb sounds right.

It happens with both mags, 5 and 10 round, and both are genuine AI mags.

What happens, as best I can describe it, is when you chamber a round and then eject the case, the next round in the mag has the tip of the bullet stuck underneath the action so it's stuck nose tipped down. I can fix it by sticking my finger in the ejection port and moving the cartridge back against the back of the magazine.

It's like the cartridge slid forward in the magazine far enough to put the tip of the bullet below the action.

An update on my issue...

When I originally installed the action in the stock I followed the instructions to push the action against the back of the chassis and tighten the screws.

I loosened the screws, pushed the action forward and re-tightened the screws. That put the front of the magazine in line with the back side of the feed ramp. No more lip to catch bullet tips. As long as the action doesn't move when I fire it, I should be good to go.

Reactions: Davo308

I took a 1/2 inch rotory file to my receiver and made the mag well opening bigger, just go slow and make sure your 90 degrees from the mag well, .030-.040 is all that's required to remove, 2.870 feeds flawlessly now.

I had my smith open up the bottom of my action to be flush with the mag opening. Im running 168 A-Maxs @ 2.945col (just fits in the AICS mags with the front plate removed) I have never had a feeding problem.

DSC03537.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had my smith open up the bottom of my action to be flush with the mag opening. Im running 168 A-Maxs @ 2.945col (just fits in the AICS mags with the front plate removed) I have never had a feeding problem.</div></div>

Wow. That's way more extreme than what I would need.

I'm going to shoot it the way it is. If the action stays put and it shoots fine then i'm leaving it alone. If I need to remove some material off the action I know a guy that can do it on his CNC mill for me.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like my issue isn't unique.

I had the same problems you speak of. The feed ramp needs to be reduced, and it will function much better. Like 427 Cobra mentioned, take a dremel to it. I know, you think I'm nuts. I did it on my custom 260, and it solved all my feeding issues. I took a Dremel with the stone attachment and opened it up, and angled it up like the feed ramp. This will solve your problems feeding. It won't help increase your COAL for a 10 round mag, though!

What do you guys use for refinishing the small area? Vans (sp?) or something like that? I've only used gunkote but obviously isn't the way to touch up a small area.

Mods, feel free to move this to the equipment forum. I thought it was an ammo issue when I posted it.
blush.gif