• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max OAL to stay safe - RPR 6.5 Creedmoor

Smoketheclay

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
I've searched for this answer and haven't found an answer.

How do I know when I've had so much throat erosion in my barrel that its no longer safe to load within .02 from the lands?

My setup:
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
140 Hornady ELDs

I'm currently at 2.255 base to ogive which is about 2.860 COAL which seems fairly safe. Just wondering how much further I have

I always strive for one bullet diameter worth of bearing surface in the neck. In your case, this would be .264"

As long as there is enough neck tension to hold the bullet, you should be fine.

Note that the less bearing surface in the neck, the higher chances of your bullet to case concentricity are going to result in runout.

Thanks, I guess I can measure the max base to ogive in advance and I’ll know when I’m approaching that max

Everytime I get a new gun, the first thing I do is measure CBTO. then I make up a dummy round to match. Use a sharpie and write on it the details and stash it away. then you can reference it for next time.

Reactions: Smoketheclay