• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Max profile for Savage barrel installed with nut.

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hi all,

I apologize if these have been asked already... What is the max profile (measurement?) for a barrel that can be installed on a Savage while keeping the barrel nut?

If not using the barrel nut, I would assume the barrel profile can be bigger, and would install the same way as a Remington, with shoulder on the recoil lug and chambered/headspaced accordingly correct?

thanks.

Re: Max profile for Savage barrel installed with nut.

Correct.
The major thread diameter on standard barrels is right at 1.060" if I recall correctly.
The magnum barrels and actions used a larger diameter.

I think Sharpshooter supply has this info on thier website FAQ section.

I'd like to know how they get a larger action wrench over the nut, because I think there must be a bigger wrench for them.

The ID of the action wrench is about 1.15", anything large and you can't get the wrench off the rifle when the recoil lug is installed.

Without re-hashing the nuts to nutless controversy you might do a search here. There have been some interesting debates here.

Both the large action and the standard action nuts take the same wrench. The nut wall is just a little thinner on the large action barrels. I have both actions and use one wrench.

Also the actions are the same OD too. And action wrench should fit both actions.

Mike

I have a new Savage FCP-10-K, and it does not have a "nut" but a cone. It needs a special tool to remove. The factory says it works the same way ( & is the same size) as the old one. My reply was--"If its not broke , why did you try & fix it?"
Gut feeling is they want control of who puts barrels on & off. They did say you could replace it with the old one.

I've read that the transition to the smooth barrel nut was partly for people to differentiate that Accu-Stocked models vs. the older models, and partly because they've gotten complaints that the barrel nut was ugly.
smirk.gif

Oh well, all the more business opportunities for people with the know how to come up with new tools to remove this nut, like the one SSS has.

Looks like 1.00" will be about the restriction for barrel diameter at the chamber end if keeping the nut. Sure would like to use the 1.25" diameter barrel profiles but then it would require a smith to headspace and chamber the barrel for you (cost more)... Kinda defeats the purpose the nut was original designed for, the DIY group.

Choices... Anyone use savage barrels that start with 1.00" and straight taper down to 0.900" at muzzle? Can you show some pics?

Thanks!

100_1955.jpg

Savage 110 30.06 Pre-accutrigger"package gun"-Base rifle

Shilen Match Select No.7 taper, chambered in 300WM sans barrel nut
Savage BVSS stock, Pillars added and bedded with Dev-con
Timney trigger
Seekins base and rings
6.5-20x50 Leupold LRT

The thing that's important about the barrel nut is the internal threads.

There is absolutely no good reason why a barrel nut could not be fabricated with a diameter that matches the barrel profile.

Conventional thinking is something that discourages valid innovation far too often. Get past it.

Greg

What is the outer diameter of the barrel nut? If it is 1.25" for hypothetical sample, and that the inner diameter of the nut needs to be 1.20" - 1.25" to match barrel profile at chamber, wouldn't the walls of the barrel nut be too thin to be useful? Just wondering...

The new style barrel nut has only a single notch, and requires a new style wrench to match. Once it's off, it doesn't really need to be cranked anywhere near as tight as they come from the factory and a conventional strap wrench should be adequate for any tightening/loosening afterward.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read that the transition to the smooth barrel nut was partly for people to differentiate that Accu-Stocked models vs. the older models, and partly because they've gotten complaints that the barrel nut was ugly.
smirk.gif

Oh well, all the more business opportunities for people with the know how to come up with new tools to remove this nut, like the one SSS has.

Looks like 1.00" will be about the restriction for barrel diameter at the chamber end if keeping the nut. Sure would like to use the 1.25" diameter barrel profiles but then it would require a smith to headspace and chamber the barrel for you (cost more)... Kinda defeats the purpose the nut was original designed for, the DIY group.

Choices... Anyone use savage barrels that start with 1.00" and straight taper down to 0.900" at muzzle? Can you show some pics?

Thanks! </div></div>

Just be careful NOT to order a blank with a 1" chamber end. It will be too small to use.
Of course, you are likely talking about ordering one threaded for the receiver which will mean 1.055" to 1.065" or so at the threads.

Yes you're right Rafael...
smile.gif
I will leave the max dimensions at the chamber to whoever is threading the barrel for me, but yes I believe it is somewhere around 1.06" max.

Cool. Just didn't want to see you disappointed.
I used a 1.25" blank(A Douglas #7) for one of my Savage barrels and it turned out fine.....not much had to be removed from the chamber-end to get it the right size.