• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Max range for 300 BLK Super Sonic in 16" vs 18"

rawdeal77

Private
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2011
Dallas & Lubbock, Tx
My question is--what is the max effective range of super sonic 300 BLK when fired from 18" barrel vs. when fired from a 16"?

NOTE: I'm aware that that the 300BLk was designed primarily for sub sonic use, and the popular view with respect to barrel length is shorter=better. However, the primary intended purpose for this gun is hunting where circumstances may require up a 300 yrd shot on a white tail. Accordingly, the shorter=better policy isn't likely to apply. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out where I should set my expectations as far as range.

I have a two 6.5 Grendels, and I don't hope to replaace their hunting/range capabilities with the 300 blk. I'm basically looking for gun with good super sonic hunting balistics that can be used with sub sonics in certain situations. Finally, I'm aware that an 18" barrel will require a specially developed handload in order to be sub sonic when it leaves the gun.

Re: Max range for 300 BLK Super Sonic in 16" vs 18"

From what little I know I'd try and keep the BLK inside of 200 yards for whitetail.

100-200 at the most. That mortar runs out of gas quick. Go with a 6.8 or 6.5 if you want to hunt that far in a AR15 platform.

By M4 standards, the 16 inch 300 BLK has a 460 meter max effective range, based on the same drift and drop for an M4's max effective range. That is based on hit probability.

For max range for optimal bullet performance - we know it is at least 300 yards from a 9 inch barrel as the bullets still expand to more than 50 caliber and penetrate about 24 inches.

300blk300small.jpg

As for just shooting - I was hitting a 3 inch bullseye at 600 yards from a 16 inch barrel - that is a 1/2 MOA target - but you would not be able to do that if it were unknown range.

I put updates here:

https://www.facebook.com/300aacblackout

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rawdeal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My question is--what is the max effective range of super sonic 300 BLK when fired from 18" barrel vs. when fired from a 16"?

NOTE: I'm aware that that the 300BLk was designed primarily for sub sonic use, and the popular view with respect to barrel length is shorter=better. However, the primary intended purpose for this gun is hunting where circumstances may require up a 300 yrd shot on a white tail. Accordingly, the shorter=better policy isn't likely to apply. Basically, I'm just trying to figure out where I should set my expectations as far as range.

I have a two 6.5 Grendels, and I don't hope to replaace their hunting/range capabilities with the 300 blk. I'm basically looking for gun with good super sonic hunting balistics that can be used with sub sonics in certain situations. Finally, I'm aware that an 18" barrel will require a specially developed handload in order to be sub sonic when it leaves the gun.

</div></div>

The struggle with the .300Blk at 300yds is the wind, if there is zero wind one can likely make a shot at 300yds with little trouble. However, the difference in wind drift from a 5mph to 10mph wind (full value) at 300yds is ~7.5" (7.5" vs 15"). I can't call that little difference in the wind; therefore, the .300 doesn't seem like a reasonable choice for 300yds. At 200 yds it should work fine; at longer ranges I would prefer something that isn't so sensitive to the wind.

Given your desires, something like this may work better for you.