• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maxed out elevation on my Ares scope

DROWN

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2019
Rapidan watershed
I have a new (to me) GA-10 rifle. It has a 0MOA built rail on the upper. I mounted an Ares BTR 4.5-27×50 in MIL in a 0 MIL Spuhr mount (3006) with 1.35" of height so my scope bell clear the rail . Zeroed the rifle and have been testing various factory ammo. Got some good groups with Hornady Match 140 ELDMs and took it out to 600 yards with no issues. Dope from the Hornady app was spot on and giving first round hits at every target and I was really impressed with the rifle/scope and ammo combo until 600 yrds where I was dialing up 3.7 mil.

The range didn't have much setup between 600 and 900 yrds. My next targets were at 924 yrds and up. The hornady app called for 7.8 mil for the 924yd target. Problem is my elevation turret would not go up above 7 mil. I had topped out. My understanding per the scope's specs is that I should have 24 mil of total vertical adjustment on this scope. Is it possible I used up 17 mils to get to zero? I am puzzled here and would appreciate some advice. I'm looking for a 6 mil spuhr mount (3602) to help me get some additional reach, but it seems odd that I am topping so much earlier than expected. Maybe it makes sense and a different mount is needed.

What should I be doing differently?

Planning to head back out to re-zero and make sure I didn't mess something up when I initially set the scope up.

From the mechanical zero, you appear to have used up 5 mils to zero. That seems like a lot, but I suppose it's not totally inconceivable. Have you tried counting the number of clicks over the whole adjustment range?