• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maxim MG's in Ukraine

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    Twin Maxim's with red dot in Ukraine. Some Russians have been seen with the Scoped Mosin sniper rifle.
    cdoshgpzf8p81.jpg

Pretty cool! I understand that the Russians kept their Maxims in service on the Chinese border until the 90s because the PLA did not give up on human wave attacks until after the Vietnam débâcle. No surprise that there are still some Maxims in Ukraine. Question is … do they have the tools, cleaning gear, parts kits, ammo boxes, etc. to keep them running?

Reactions: camocorvette
    Pretty cool! I understand that the Russians kept their Maxims in service on the Chinese border until the 90s because the PLA did not give up on human wave attacks until after the Vietnam débâcle. No surprise that there are still some Maxims in Ukraine. Question is … do they have the tools, cleaning gear, parts kits, ammo boxes, etc. to keep them running?
    Yes...

They never throw anything away over there. They were still making T-34's into the 1980's. Why? Because the inertia of the Communist system made it impossible to shut down a production facility or convert one over. That would have meant 'loss' of jobs for factory managers. Loss of production numbers for local party bosses. And noone in senior control leadership had the balls or foresight to say "we don't need to make these any more, let's put the production into something useful." That would have been a bridge too far. Let the next guy worry about it. "I need to make my quotas and if we needed to stop making them, Brezhnev would have told us to stop."

The tanks were made and parked into giant hollowed-out Mountains in the Urals. Awaiting the outbreak of WW2... For all we know, they are still there.

Upon initial startup of a Russian tank, it was not uncommon to get a pound of iron filings out of the sump oil. The engines were so bad they had to 'grind themselves' in. But noone cared. Because their combat life expectancy was minutes. Why make an engine that will go 100K miles when the tank is 90 percent likely to be blown up in 5 miles. With its crew. Which was expendable.
    I would not expect their 'new' manufactured goods to be that much better. 30+ years into capitalism and they still can't manufacture %$#+. Their wealth comes from an oil pump and wheat fields. And graft, corruption, currency trading, selling garbage military equipment to third world tinpots and, yes, foreign aid from capitalists. How much have we given them since 1989? To help their 'soft landing?' Hell, we still send USAID to China.

So... they have warehouses of that stuff to use. Bet same in the Ukraine. All hoarder-like. You see, this is why you never sell a gun!

This whole thing is like a boxing match between two autistic kids with muscular dystrophy. Noone really cares who wins, but it's funny as hell to watch.

Sirhr

Yes...

They never throw anything away over there. They were still making T-34's into the 1980's. Why? Because the inertia of the Communist system made it impossible to shut down a production facility or convert one over. That would have meant 'loss' of jobs for factory managers. Loss of production numbers for local party bosses. And noone in senior control leadership had the balls or foresight to say "we don't need to make these any more, let's put the production into something useful." That would have been a bridge too far. Let the next guy worry about it. "I need to make my quotas and if we needed to stop making them, Brezhnev would have told us to stop."

The tanks were made and parked into giant hollowed-out Mountains in the Urals. Awaiting the outbreak of WW2... For all we know, they are still there.

Upon initial startup of a Russian tank, it was not uncommon to get a pound of iron filings out of the sump oil. The engines were so bad they had to 'grind themselves' in. But noone cared. Because their combat life expectancy was minutes. Why make an engine that will go 100K miles when the tank is 90 percent likely to be blown up in 5 miles. With its crew. Which was expendable.
    I would not expect their 'new' manufactured goods to be that much better. 30+ years into capitalism and they still can't manufacture %$#+. Their wealth comes from an oil pump and wheat fields. And graft, corruption, currency trading, selling garbage military equipment to third world tinpots and, yes, foreign aid from capitalists. How much have we given them since 1989? To help their 'soft landing?' Hell, we still send USAID to China.

So... they have warehouses of that stuff to use. Bet same in the Ukraine. All hoarder-like. You see, this is why you never sell a gun!

This whole thing is like a boxing match between two autistic kids with muscular dystrophy. Noone really cares who wins, but it's funny as hell to watch.

Sirhr
    We’ll your one of the few people that have said anything about anything over there that is accurate lately that I’ve heard

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    My Snow Cap was one of my favorite MG's Only time it stopped was when it was empty. Every time I brought it out everyone wanted to shoot it.

Apparently Ukraine had some 35,000 M1910 Maxims tucked away in storage as of August 2011. Article from 2016: https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/3845791?

Kyiv, December 6th. /TASS/. The Ministry of Defense of Ukraine returned to service the machine gun "Maxim" of the 1910 model and allowed it to be used in the zone of military operations in the east of the country, said the chief of armaments of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Mykola Shevtsov.

As he explained in an interview with Uriadovy Courier (Government Courier), Maxim is "designed to destroy group live targets and enemy firepower at a distance of up to 1 km, and some units, at their personal request, use this machine gun at strongholds and roadblocks as a means of amplifying the fire".

According to some Ukrainian publications, since the Ukrainian army was armed with Maxims, carts should soon be expected.

On December 6, Ukraine celebrates the 25th anniversary of the country's Armed Forces (AFU). The holiday was established by the Verkhovna Rada in 1993, and on December 6, 1991, the law "On the Armed Forces of Ukraine" was adopted. The Armed Forces of Ukraine include the Land, Naval and Air Forces.

(Google translation)

Apparently Ukraine had some 35,000 M1910 Maxims tucked away in storage as of August 2011. Article from 2016: https://tass.ru/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/3845791?

Kyiv, December 6th. /TASS/. The Ministry of Defense of Ukraine returned to service the machine gun "Maxim" of the 1910 model and allowed it to be used in the zone of military operations in the east of the country, said the chief of armaments of the Armed Forces of Ukraine Mykola Shevtsov.

As he explained in an interview with Uriadovy Courier (Government Courier), Maxim is "designed to destroy group live targets and enemy firepower at a distance of up to 1 km, and some units, at their personal request, use this machine gun at strongholds and roadblocks as a means of amplifying the fire".

According to some Ukrainian publications, since the Ukrainian army was armed with Maxims, carts should soon be expected.

On December 6, Ukraine celebrates the 25th anniversary of the country's Armed Forces (AFU). The holiday was established by the Verkhovna Rada in 1993, and on December 6, 1991, the law "On the Armed Forces of Ukraine" was adopted. The Armed Forces of Ukraine include the Land, Naval and Air Forces.

(Google translation)
    So they can realistically put 21,000,000 rounds per minute on the sovs. Or 350k rounds per second, roughly.

No wonder Vlad Is screwed.

Lets see… 1890s design. 2022.

Old guys do rule!

Sirhr

A buddy showed me a post from Russia and Vlad apparently ordered all available military vehicles pulled out and shipped to Ukraine. They were pulling out the WWII vehicles from a Russian museum, old WWII soviet crap, some actually dwat'ed, and shipping them out, and some of the vehicles had no engines!! LOL

So they can realistically put 21,000,000 rounds per minute on the sovs. Or 350k rounds per second, roughly.

No wonder Vlad Is screwed.

Lets see… 1890s design. 2022.

Old guys do rule!

Sirhr
    They did have to scrap a few of 'em, so not quite that much. Either way, long as they got ammo and the guns are in workable condition, ain't no reason they shouldn't do the job.

A buddy showed me a post from Russia and Vlad apparently ordered all available military vehicles pulled out and shipped to Ukraine. They were pulling out the WWII vehicles from a Russian museum, old WWII soviet crap, some actually dwat'ed, and shipping them out, and some of the vehicles had no engines!! LOL

Tell me please neither of you believed that shit.

Twin Maxim's with red dot in Ukraine. Some Russians have been seen with the Scoped Mosin sniper rifle.
    cdoshgpzf8p81.jpg

Interesting dual mount.

Those guns aren't set up for it, but old school HMG theory could be useful in the war they are fighting, and will do more of as this becomes more of an insurgency. A water cooled HMG used like artillery to create a beaten zone a maximum range against area targets like troop concentrations, bivouacs, etc., can be very disruptive. Unlike a mortar or rocket artilley, no LCMR or other counter fire radar will find it. Put one in a structure firing out of a window or hole in roof, almost no signature.

Lost art, but it can come back.

Edit: I wonder how many are left who know how to run recoil operated MGs. Another art in and of itself.

Last edited:
    I wonder what they're using to transport that set up. Ideally I'd think, small, nimble and fast. Hose 'em and haul ass kinda thing.

Reactions: mgrs

Oh man, I didn’t think 100cc pickup bed tricycle was a thing outside the third world… or maybe Russia and its proxies are?

Reminds me of the zarang that is ubiquitous in Afghanistan/Pakistan. Most have dump beds. I have seen an SG43 mounted on one.
    1648690128325.jpeg

However, for the OG water cooled MG technical, maybe it’s the Belgians:
    1648690277140.jpeg

I wonder what they're using to transport that set up. Ideally I'd think, small, nimble and fast. Hose 'em and haul ass kinda thing.

Have the Ukrainians gotten in on the reliability and utility of a slightly modified Hilux yet?

I would, if they gave me enough water and ammo to keep it cold and humming along. Only down side is portability.

I would love to own a dog sled pulled Maxim machine gun or any other machine guns around the house mounted to or on the house . In or on the car that could be fun . quad 50's or quad mini guns also included in that fun .