• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maxim suppressor

John L

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
MI
All,
I ran into a strange situation yesterday and need help with an answer. It's a friend of a friend deal so please bear with me. A friend has a buddy that has an original Maxim suppressor that as far as he knows was never in the NFA system. Is there a way to get it registered without it being seized and destroyed? I understand how the deal works with an unregistered full auto firearm, just not sure how a previously unregistered suppressor would be dealt with at the Federal level. Thank you for any help.

Sadly there are no options on this, the last amnesty registration period was in 1968. It's now contraband, absent another amnesty.

Sadly there are no options on this, the last amnesty registration period was in 1968. It's now contraband, absent another amnesty.
Cory,
Thanks for your input. The owner will probably turn it in. Too bad, it's really a neat piece of history.

There are others here who know more about this than I do, but I do know it’s possible to legally register MGs that aren’t in the system. So I would suspect it’s possible with a can as well.
That said, even on a MG that would be worth 20-30g , People often give up because the process is so difficult.

I believe the ATF website has some very solid videos and info on this.