• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAXIMIZING YOUR RANGE FINDER Returns

viva la figa

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2017
I was out shooting steel and could get good ranges on 500 and 600 yard targets but once I tried to range out to our target at 1250yrds (well inside the posted 1200 to 3400 yard capabilities on SIGs site. It was bright sun and the target was about 1 moa in size at that range (steel silhouette) and on the side of a mountain so there was a HUUUUGE target to reflect the beam back. The problem was I was not getting any returns at that range. I tried to range it by holding the Kilo2k by hand and I also mounted it on my tripod to see if that improved things but to no avail.

What factors do you guys find that really affects a range finders ability to reach out to its max distance? Weather? target size? target material?

http://www.longrangeonly.com/sig-sauer-kilo-2000-rangefinder-review/

This test suggests mounting a license plate to the target for extra reflectivity.

I know many people with the sig kilos found that they had to aim with the edge of the circle rreticle about the 2:00 position to get a reading. if you put the center of the reticle on the target it wouldn't read or would read what was behind it.
that was for the 2200. not sure about the 2000

I’ve seen a trend where if you half the stated maximum range of LRF you get its approximate useable range.

Some seem to exceed that comfortably, some not so much.
So your 2000 rated unit is kinda getting a lot asked of it in anything but perfect conditions at 1250 yards.

Bright sunlight is generally kinda tough as are light absorbing materials.

Conditions matter. Sunlight behind you shining on what you want to range seems to be about the worst scenario. Closer to dusk and night you get the easier it'll be.

With the sigs in particular, hold the button down and use the hyperscan feature to wave the reticle around the target till you get a return.

I've had very similar results with my SIG, so a new range finder is in the plans for next spring. Too late in the hunting season to mess with mine now.

I have heard that a new battery will help quite a bit if yours is getting tired. The stuff about the beam not being centered at the aiming point is also pretty common.

The beams are very dim, but visible under night vision. If you have any (or have friends) then I'd "zero" it. You can't adjust, but you can check where in the target the beam hits, and note it.

Finding the sweet spot in the reticle of any rangefinder is a good idea. Fresh batteries will help. Scanning, as suggested, helps.

If you're not getting a range using a securely connected tripod, most of the above suggestions will not help much. I've found a tripod gets you the most distance in relation to conditions.

Ya i thought I would get the job done using a tripod but alas no luck. Ill try the scan feature....if I can figure out how to change modes that is

Anyone in Los Angeles with NV they want to let me have a go with? under strict adult supervision of course hahahaha