• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

maxium velocity

chadg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
foothills of the ozarks.
I am thinking about rebarreling a savage rifle.
Is there a point when longer barrels are to much.What i mean is i have heard much debate between 20"24"26".I have also heard stories about 30" tubes.wouldnt 30" kind of be overkill with powder burn and all how far can a 308 bullet travel down the tube before the powder is burned complety up and the rifleing starts creating drag.
I also have heard of gain twist barrels what are the pros and cons.Or are they a complete waste of time and money.

Re: maxium velocity

Great article jrb very good info.Thanks for that.I was leaning more towards a 26" tude maybe shileen or douglas or something.I can understand shorer barrel accuracy. im sure the barrel proably would vibrate a little less, But im sure the muzzle signature would be tremendous. iam also sure there is a way around it with powder changes and reloading tecniques.
Isee by your profile you are a mo. boy like me if you looked out to the big muddy im sure you would see me at one time or another.(towboat tankerman)
Are there any good ranges up there anywhere.I live down here in west plains there is only one range to speak of.I only 100yrds and on mark twain national forest.
ihave some land but can only shoot up to about 350yrds and still keep my shots safely on my property. Sorry to go on and on just looking for someplace fairly close to shoot at least 600 maybe even up to 800

Palma shooters really like those longer barrels (~30") and they go long range in .308. Many many articles have been written about the negligible difference in velocity change in a .308 from 26" to 20". Do a search and you will see that I have posted the above article and a few others multiple times.

Please note that this applies to .308. Other calibers may vary. The SWAT article notes that with .300 WM, the length at which velocity starts to change is longer than with .308.

There's benchrest club in wentsville goes to 600 yards it cost to be a member. I wish I could find the thread about ranges in Mo I suck at using the search or else I would give you a link to it. Hope it helped ya out.

Joe

Thanks jrb i will check out the range at wentsville. im willing to pay a range fee for 600 yrds.My 350 is getting pretty boring.