• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maybe this forum should be called......

Sharpsman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
Rayville, La.
Vintage Sniper Rifles and Cartridges!

Here's the ability of a cartridge that is what now???....108 years old! Yep...it's what the 'youngsters' call old and worn out! Doesn't have 'mag status' or a sharp shoulder and not squeezed down to the latest 'needle-dick' size bullet with a case that shoots fantastic without having to be necked down and not costing $3.00 a piece! Just the standard old 30/06 cartridge! Here's 12 shots from 1000 yards I fired about ten days back from 1000 yards. The small plate inside the white is 5" diameter.

https://flic.kr/p/mLJq7n

It ain't quite dead just yet!

Very nice shooting. I'm considering this more and more for when I do get into an ELR rifle. I've always been a fan of that ancient cartridge.

And I'm a 'real happy camper' tonight as these came in this afternoon on the toy truck:

https://flic.kr/p/n7vxLY

I bought 1000 Win cases 20 years back and they've served well all these years but some are getting like me....a little 'long in tooth'!!

Here's the ability of a cartridge that is what now???....108 years old! Yep...it's what the 'youngsters' call old and worn out! Doesn't have 'mag status' or a sharp shoulder and not squeezed down to the latest 'needle-dick' size bullet with a case that shoots fantastic without having to be necked down and not costing $3.00 a piece! Just the standard old 30/06 cartridge! Here's 12 shots from 1000 yards I fired about ten days back from 1000 yards. The small plate inside the white is 5" diameter.

That Sir, is some nice shooting. Very Well Done! May I be nosy and ask which weapon and optic was used to do that? This being a vintage rifle forum, I am assuming that it is old. But I am still wondering.

Irish

That Sir, is some nice shooting. Very Well Done! May I be nosy and ask which weapon and optic was used to do that? This being a vintage rifle forum, I am assuming that it is old. But I am still wondering.

Irish

Group shot with an '06 Target rifle I have; not vintage. My post was more about an 'old cartridge' than anything else! Optics was a NF.

Good shooting.
One of my match rifles is chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. The Swede has been around almost 115 years. It flat out shoots.
I will do an '06 build before I die.

Group shot with an '06 Target rifle I have; not vintage. My post was more about an 'old cartridge' than anything else! Optics was a NF.

With respect, could I get a more specific answer to my question? Which make and model of rifle? and model of NF scope set to what power setting? What ammo and bullet weight? Are we talking old surplus Lake City or Lapua match grade ammo? I was trying to better understand the equipment you were using to get that kind of results. Thanks!

Irish

When I clicked on the image he posted the link to, there was a title for the image. It said, "Beanland 30/06

12 shots 1000 yds. with Beanland '06 using 55 grs. IMR4350 and Berger 185 VLD Target bullet. F210M primer."

That should answer all but which brass he used, though I'd guess either the old Win cases he refers to or the new ones he mentioned. If I'm not mistaken, there is even a picture of the loaded cartridges.

I'm pretty sure that the point of the thread was that the cartridge is over 100 years old and can still hang with all the youngsters (new cartridges) with no apology required.

The '06 is still an almost-perfect cartridge, ballistically. Only the change to a NATO round with similar ballistics and smaller case size/lighter weight obsoleted it.

Noone should poo-poo the '06. And it deserves all our respect.

To the OP... Great shooting and great post! Thanks for reminding us that all kinds of newfangled stuff can be eclipsed by skill and a great cartridge that should never be forgotten!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I couldn't help but look at all the pictures......love the planes, guns, deer and the wonderful looking country. Is that all La. country?>??

Awesome shooting Sir; and you are right "It ain't quite dead just yet" ;)