• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MC Custom build around Ultimatum Deadline or AI AXMC

tyfoon

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2020
I'm about to invest in a multicaliber setup (308, 6.5 CR and 300 Norma). 90% of the time I will be shooting at 100 yards range. 10% abroad on 1mile+ ranges. Don't shoot competition at this time and where I live we do not have PRS. However I am very competitive and want to rule out my rifle when it comes to my shooting abilities. I'm also a reloader and now shoot most of the time with a Tikka T3X tac a1 in 308. Will re-use my S&B 5-25 PMII. After close considerations I'm now left with 2 options:

A custom build around and Ultimatum Deadline Gen 2 long action. MDT ESS chassis , Bix'n Andy dual stage trigger and custom Match barrels (eg twist, thickness, length etc) made and all assembled by one of the best gunsmiths in the country I live in. The gunsmith would also create 'hot swap' system for the barrels (and has done that before with succes).

OR

The 'good old' AI AXMC

From a price perspective the custom will be slightly cheaper but that is not so much a deciding factor for me.

I would love to get your opinions!

Some great stuff in there but not really specific to my topic. Would love some input vs this specific custom build, not any build. And unfortunately we do not have PRS out here so will not be using it for that.

I’ve owned Ultimatums and an AI. My vote would be AI. The Deadline has some features I was not a fan of, like the thicker bolt body to name one.

My AI was a robust rifle that held up in any condition whereas the customs with tighter tolerances can have issues. While shooting in Wyoming, my bolt on my ultimatum became extremely difficult to run with dust and sand blowing around. Just the nature of the beast with tighter actions. Maybe not a consideration for you but could be.